D3300? or D5300?

overco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start off and say I am not exactly "new" to photography, but I have never owned a DSLR in my life. I am looking into getting into mid to close shots of portraits, a bit of landscape, and most importantly close up computer photography. I am not new to buying something thinking that I will limit myself to that, and end up wanting more. I say that I want to perform that type of photography but who knows, down the road I might want to take action and wildlife shots.

Now, onto the real question.

The D3300 with standard kit lens, wifi adapter, and 32gb memory card is 400$ for Black Friday, which is terrifyingly low considering it once was quite a bit more, but there also is a deal with the standard kit lens, a 55-200mm lens, and wifi adapter for 500$. Now I planned to buy something relatively cheap and buy a 50mm 1.8/G Prime lens so I can save some money, but I thought about the D5300 too, I really like the articulating screen and like I said, I am not new to wanting more, so I am afraid that the articulating screen will be a deal breaker, but it really shouldn't be. ALSO, I do believe the lenses are not VR II, just VR. I don't know anything about that but I know there is a difference. Which would mean that if it were true, maybe getting the cheaper kit and buying the prime lens is the better bet.

Do any of you have any other recommendations that are below 650$? I just saw this as an opportunity to pay less and spend the rest of the money on a decent lens. I was looking through Refurbished D5300's for around 530$ with lens, which is in my price point, could this be a good option?

I have the D5300 and have been happy with it.

Obviously comparing them straight up the D5300 is a better camera than the D3300.

I think they are so close in price, that if you got the D3300, you would be always wishing you had just got the D5300.

So, I vote to just get the D5300 and don't look back!

Obviously comparing them straight up the D5300 is a better camera than the D3300.

I think they are so close in price, that if you got the D3300, you would be always wishing you had just got the D5300.

The refurbished D5300 comes with a 90 day manufacturer's warranty and 1 year Cameta warranty. Is it worth spending 74$ for spills and accident protection for 3 years on it? Or do DSLR's not really break that easily if you are careful?

The refurbished D5300 comes with a 90 day manufacturer's warranty and 1 year Cameta warranty. Is it worth spending 74$ for spills and accident protection for 3 years on it? Or do DSLR's not really break that easily if you are careful?
DSLRs don't break easily, I'd still get extra protection if I could afford to. Also, D5300 would be better for action shots, which you want to get into eventually. In short, get the D5300, and the accidental protection if you can.

DSLRs don't break easily, I'd still get extra protection if I could afford to. Also, D5300 would be better for action shots, which you want to get into eventually. In short, get the D5300, and the accidental protection if you can.

Nikon has their 10% off Refurbished cameras right now until tomorrow, and their D5300 with lens is 494$. 90 day warranty to guarantee it works fully, then after that its up to my ability to hold a camera, should I go for it?

If you want to save some money, look at D5200, it is slightly older, but still better than D3300.

I want to start off and say I am not exactly "new" to photography, but I have never owned a DSLR in my life. I am looking into getting into mid to close shots of portraits, a bit of landscape, and most importantly close up computer photography. I am not new to buying something thinking that I will limit myself to that, and end up wanting more. I say that I want to perform that type of photography but who knows, down the road I might want to take action and wildlife shots.

The D3300 with standard kit lens, wifi adapter, and 32gb memory card is 400$ for Black Friday, which is terrifyingly low considering it once was quite a bit more, but there also is a deal with the standard kit lens, a 55-200mm lens, and wifi adapter for 500$. Now I planned to buy something relatively cheap and buy a 50mm 1.8/G Prime lens so I can save some money, but I thought about the D5300 too, I really like the articulating screen and like I said, I am not new to wanting more, so I am afraid that the articulating screen will be a deal breaker, but it really shouldn't be. ALSO, I do believe the lenses are not VR II, just VR. I don't know anything about that but I know there is a difference. Which would mean that if it were true, maybe getting the cheaper kit and buying the prime lens is the better bet.

Do any of you have any other recommendations that are below 650$? I just saw this as an opportunity to pay less and spend the rest of the money on a decent lens. I was looking through Refurbished D5300's for around 530$ with lens, which is in my price point, could this be a good option?

You can get a refurbished 7100 (body only) from B&H or Adorama right now for $489. It's a great deal. I did a lot of research before buying mine and it was the best value out there. Mine arrived with a shutter cound under 100 so it's pretty much brand new. There were also some kits available with lens.

Get the D5300 or if you find a D7100 as "SquarePeg" mentioned then get it.
D5300 has a much better AF system then the D3300 and the D7100 has an even better AF system then the D5300 which for me is more important then the articulating screen.

You can get a refurbished 7100 (body only) from B&H or Adorama right now for $489. It's a great deal. I did a lot of research before buying mine and it was the best value out there. Mine arrived with a shutter cound under 100 so it's pretty much brand new. There were also some kits available with lens.

Get the D5300 or if you find a D7100 as "SquarePeg" mentioned then get it.
D5300 has a much better AF system then the D3300 and the D7100 has an even better AF system then the D5300 which for me is more important then the articulating screen.

I'm looking for 1080p video at 60p not 60i. I want smooth video and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back