d3300 vs d5200

d3300 vs d5200

• Total voters

Pranav sbug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am a photography enthusiast. i would like to know which of the above are better. my main concerns are macro, birgs and wildlife and landscape. i already used my frnds d3300 in mannual mode also. is it better to choose a cam with more AF points or latest processor and no anti aliasing.?.. my budget is 28000 INR.. suggestions please.!
I would like to know if there are better cameras in this price range

Both can take excellent pictures, very similar to each other, so you will need to go with which feels better in your hands. For me, the D5200 for sure. I have one and it's a great lens. Never sold it.

The sensor is the same, but the D5200 controls are better, in my opinion, with 1/3 increments for the ISO, against full stop only increments at the D3000. The articulated screen is a plus as well. The D5200 has more cycles and is more wel regarded as well. A great camera. Look my Flickr page in my signature, go to albums, and look for the D5200 album for several samples images with it.

The big down for both is the lack of an AF motor inside of them, but they both share this disadvantage. So you lose AF on all nice AF lenses out there. Another disadvantage of both together is the lack of metering capabilities with older AI-S lenses. So you will have to only buy AF-S lenses for them. To avoid these issues, get a D7000 or a D7100 instead.

D3300 is more modern, slightly better low light but just a tiny bit.
D5200 has more DR, swivel screen, much better AF, bracketing and more stuff

Both good cameras, the D5200 is more advanced event though its of older design.
Which one would I choose ?
For first camera I would get the D5200 if you plan on shooting birds and animals then the better AF will be a distinctive advantage.
All in all both cameras are very comparable and very close.

I am looking at upgrading my own D5100 and a used D5200 is 450$ and new D3300 is 400$ new so I plan on getting the D3300 but it will be a backup/second body so I will not miss any of the advanced features the D5200, I only care about camera shooting good in low light and that the D3300 is slightly better.

Good luck

Goodguy strikes me as one of the better Nikon camera-model analyzers we have on this forum...he really seems to have his ear to the ground as far as what models offer what. I see the two cameras as being in the same general class, so I would go with the flip screen and better AF system over an incrementally better sensor. I looked at the two on Snapsort yesterday--very close between the two cameras in image quality metrics. For me, the flip screen would be the biggest difference, plus the AF system.

What amazes me is from looking at reviews of the D3300 only a year and a half ago the D3300 was priced at 650$ USD, today I buy it for 400$ CAN which is 280$ USD, I mean this is the bargain of the century!
I ordered one because the sales person in the camera store said they dont have them in stock, they simply fly of the shelves.
I was surprised considering its Christmas shopping season and he said they just cant make enough of them.
Anyways mine arrived and is on wait for me, will pick it up Monday morning :)
Considering its price I have a sneaky feeling we will be seeing a replacement for the D3300 soon, it will be probably called D3500 and I think will have a back lit Sony sensor, maybe even 28MP and will be somewhere in the 600$-700$ (but thats just a guess).

I would not recommend purchasing the D5200 or the D3300 unless if you have specific lenses you already have, or specific lenses you are planning to purchase.

The D5200 is the better lens for birds, since it has a better autofocus system.

D3300 is more modern, slightly better low light but just a tiny bit.
D5200 has more DR, swivel screen, much better AF, bracketing and more stuff

Both good cameras, the D5200 is more advanced event though its of older design.
Which one would I choose ?
For first camera I would get the D5200 if you plan on shooting birds and animals then the better AF will be a distinctive advantage.
All in all both cameras are very comparable and very close.

I am looking at upgrading my own D5100 and a used D5200 is 450$ and new D3300 is 400$ new so I plan on getting the D3300 but it will be a backup/second body so I will not miss any of the advanced features the D5200, I only care about camera shooting good in low light and that the D3300 is slightly better.

Good luck
Don't forget to add
Autofocus point of 39 with 9 cross type V 11 with 1 cross type for birds/ wildlife
Also the d3x00 does NOT have mirror lock up, which can be handy for Macro

I've forgotten the other differences between the two models. But I always think of the d3x00 being a basic entry level camera good for "general" things.

I had the D5000 before my current D7000. Big difference between the D5000's 11-point AF (which the D3300 has) and the D7000's 39-point system (which the D5200 has.) With the same lens (70-300 ED VR) the D7000 focused faster and more accurately, and never started the lens the wrong direction. 3D tracking worked well for me in air shows, too, which never worked on the D5000, probably because there is too much space between focus sensors.

AF differences alone make the D5200 the better choice, with everything else being so close between the two.

Most reactions

Back