d40 cls combatible?

brendan222

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if the d40 supports the cls, which can wirelessley operate the sb 600 and sb 800

Yes it's CLS compatible, but no it doesn't have the commander mode built into the camera. You need either an SB-800 flash or the SU-800 commander to operate remote flashes wirelessly on everything from the D60 on down. The D70/80 on up have the commander mode built-in.

Yep, you'll need some sort of commander for the D40 (I think there's only the SU-800 or the SB-800 flash) to work with the Creative Lighting System. However, flash synchronisation cables work just as well, and are much cheaper. I've got a basic SC-28 in the post, and I can't wait to explore the new possibilities.

Yep, these guys are correct. I have a D40 and SB600. When the SB600 is connected to the camera (either hotshoe or by the SC-28 cable) you get full CLS. Plus the D40 is nice because you get the very fast 1/500 sec shutter speed, very handy for adding fill light in bright sunlight.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, these guys are correct. I have a D40 and SB600. When the SB600 is connected to the camera (either hotshoe or by the SC-28 cable) you get full CLS. Plus the D40 is nice because you get the very fast 1/500 sec shutter speed, very handy for adding fill light in bright sunlight.
What generates the commander signal when you do this? My understanding was that your explanation is correct IF you're using the SB800 but it won't work with the SB600.

The 800 is the only one that can work as a commander. The 600 is a slave to the 800.

Andrew was not correct.

No, I said when the SB600 is connected via the cable or mounted on the camera, then it will work with CLS, which is how I am using my SB600. There is no comander signal when using the cable and you cannot trigger other flashes, which I think is where the confusion is.

Maybe I should not use the term CLS in this case, since there is no wireless communication going on. I meant CLS in the sense of automatic metering where the camera sets the flash power level.

Exactly... but beginners please note that andrew is specifically talking about the D40 and not the D40x. The "X" has a lower flash sync speed than its older and cheaper brother.

No, I said when the SB600 is connected via the cable or mounted on the camera, then it will work with CLS, which is how I am using my SB600. There is no comander signal when using the cable and you cannot trigger other flashes, which I think is where the confusion is.

Maybe I should not use the term CLS in this case, since there is no wireless communication going on. I meant CLS in the sense of automatic metering where the camera sets the flash power level.
No, you should not use the term CLS because the conditions that you've described are not CLS.

Exactly... but beginners please note that andrew is specifically talking about the D40 and not the D40x. The "X" has a lower flash sync speed than its older and cheaper brother.
Actually, the D40 is the only camera on the market that has such a high 1/500s flash sync speed (without hacking).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back