D40 out.

rmh159 said:
(I don't believe Canon or any company has a dSLR for cheaper than the D50 or D40)

Hmm... well judging from B&H's prices, it looks like I have to be the Pentax plugger again...

K110d for $524.95 with kit lens; body only $449.95 ($399 with rebate!). Compared to a D50 for $599.95 with kit lens or $499.95 body only; or a Rebel XT/350D for $649.95 with kit lens, $539.95 body only...

Whatever one might think of those companies and their respective merits (and if we get into that I'll have to start building another soapbox), a company does indeed have a dSLR for cheaper than the D50 :lol:

The price difference between a D50 and a K110d on B&H is $70... but if I thought the D50 were a better camera and had no investment in Pentax gear then saving $70 would not be a deciding factor. The D50 is clearly a better camera than a D40, and the D40 would have to be a lot more than $70 cheaper than a D50 to make it good value IMO. On the other hand, I expect a lot of people will disagree, and I have to applaud Nikon for their marketing... after all, they seem to have persuaded people that no-one else offers a cheaper camera than them despite the facts :lol:

It's kindof a shame. The D50 really stood out as being able to compete with its bigger brothers (Rebel XT, D70, etc.) but this new model has compensated so much for the beginner, that it will difficult to see it as anything more than an advanced point and shoot, or an extreemly entry-level dSLR.

One suggestion when thinking about the D40: STOP THINKING ABOUT IT LIKE A PHOTOGRAPHER! Photographers are the LAST people Nikon is trying to hook with the D40. They know that anybody who actually knows anything about DSLR photography and understands the smallest bit about quality lenses most likely isn't going to be buying this camera. It is driven straight toward the high-end P&S crowd. It is intended to get these people to swap over to the more expensive, better engineered DSLR category. Aggressive marketing and smart pricing will give it a STRONG appeal among that crowd. If you don't "get it" then don't get it! This camera is an arrow shot straight from the same bow as the original Digital Rebel, and with the same intention.

Mad_Gnome said:
One suggestion when thinking about the D40: STOP THINKING ABOUT IT LIKE A PHOTOGRAPHER! Photographers are the LAST people Nikon is trying to hook with the D40. They know that anybody who actually knows anything about DSLR photography and understands the smallest bit about quality lenses most likely isn't going to be buying this camera. It is driven straight toward the high-end P&S crowd. It is intended to get these people to swap over to the more expensive, better engineered DSLR category. Aggressive marketing and smart pricing will give it a STRONG appeal among that crowd. If you don't "get it" then don't get it! This camera is an arrow shot straight from the same bow as the original Digital Rebel, and with the same intention.

OK I'll stop thinking about the D40 like a photographer... and while I'm doing that, I'll also stop thinking about bad food like someone who eats food, and stop thinking about crappy music like someone who has ears. :p I'm not a professional photographer and certainly not an expert, but I do know enough to realise that the D40 would be inadequate for me. I also realise that it's going to sell well. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. The point, as far as I'm concerned, is that the D40's "smart" price won't be that much lower than the current cost of a D50 or equivalent from another manufacturer, and at the same time it's sufficiently lacking that it'll offer relatively poor value for money. I know, I won't be buying it so I shouldn't care... it's good marketing, well done Nikon... but maybe not so well done for the people who buy the D40. And I remember not knowing much about cameras - I did a bit of research and asked around instead of just believing the marketing. Consumers now may do the same but it doesn't help them do that if we refuse to discuss whether camera A or lens B actually actually offers good value for money. Why shouldn't we talk about that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back