D5300 vs D7100

helevess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to upgrade my Sony a3000, which i've been using for 3 years now. I can't really decide whether I should buy a D5300 with an AF-S 18-105 VR kit and an AF-P 70-300 VR or a D7100 with an AF-S 18-140 VR kit. It's about the same price in my country. I mainly want to use it for portraits, landscapes and different events as well.

Image quality will be almost identical. The two lenses offered by the twin lens deal offers a lot more.

If you don't need weather sealing, and don't think you'll use Nikons lighting flash system, I'd say the d5300 offers more shooting opportunity. The tilt screen is great also. Do those af-p lenses work fully with d5300?

I had a 5100 and upgraded to a 7100. I would choose the 7100 over the 5xxx series every time for the ease of changing settings and button placement. Less menu diving. Also, does the 5300 have dual sd slots? The 5100 did not. And ability to control off camera flash is important for events. I did miss the tilt screen but not enough to change the recommendation.

I've owned the 18-105 and it's a great kit lens. I don't have any experience with the other two.

A tip - buy used/refurbished to stretch your budget.

Last edited:
I had a 5100 and upgraded to a 7100. I would choose the 7100 over the 5xxx series every time for the ease of changing settings and button placement. Less menu diving. Also, does the 5300 have dual sd slots? The 5100 did not. And ability to control off camera flash is important for events. I did miss the tilt screen but not enough to change the recommendation.

I've owned the 18-105 and it's a great kit lens. I don't have any experience with the other two.

A tip - buy used/refurbished to stretch your budget.
It's hard to argue with this take also. The d7100 is a more complete camera, twin lenses are more complete for coverage. Ideally the d7100 and two lenses ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Both cameras will take about the same images, so it depends on what your priorities are. I was looking at upgrading to a D7200 or D500, but I decided to keep the D5300 because I like to travel and liked the compact size and weight of the D5300, plus the articulating screen. So between the D5300 and the D7100, it is really a question if the better control system and more substantial frame is more important than the compact design and lighter weight.

I would go with the D7100 mainly due to being able to use older lenses. The D5300 does not have a lens motor built in and will not autofocus older lenses. There are some really good deals in the used market on older lenses.

The major difference from my perspective other than the better build quality is that the 7100 has a focusing motor so it will handle AF with the older D lenses. These are lenses have nice things like aperture rings. The 7100 is fairly big improvement over the the 5000 series. Not even a horse race in my view.

I am with the others. If you have the chance to buy the 7100 for a good price. That's the one to get. The focusing motor in the body is a biggie for me. Direct user controls saves you time as well.

better controls, better viewfinder, better battery, more memory card slots, better fps, in body motor... it's a shooter's camera vs. a hobbist's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back