D610

HectorHeadgear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy Folks! First time poster, here.
I currently own a D3200 that I bought several years ago when I was just looking to have a digital camera for personal reasons. Now, though, I'm looking at getting into photography for money. I'm looking at real estate photography. It's a long story involving disabilities, but I can do an appointment-based business when I can't do a 9-5, and I've always loved photography and see doing it on a professional basis. I realize it's not a get-rich-quick scheme. I want to upgrade to a full frame camera so I can use FX lenses. Money is an issue. I've been looking at the D610 because it's available at B&H for $1k. My question is, am I looking at the right cameras? I'm sure I would upgrade once I had some money coming in. Would there be something else that would suit me better? I know the more expensive cameras are 40MP, so would I be OK with a 20MP camera like the D610 for real estate purposes?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer me!

do NOT under any circumstances spend $1000 on a D610. do NOT buy one new.

Find a good condition used one for ~$500, then spend the rest on a high quality wide-angle lens like a 12-24 2.8 or alike.

The D610 is still a decent camera, but the focusing module is probably it's weakest point. It pales in comparison to the newer bodies. Would you ever notice this coming from a D3200? No, it's SPADES better than a D3200 focusing module, but go try to focus in a low-lit dancefloor while getting paid to shoot a wedding and you'll quickly find its limitation.

TL;DR. D610 Good. $1000 BAD.

Howdy Folks! First time poster, here.
I currently own a D3200 that I bought several years ago when I was just looking to have a digital camera for personal reasons. Now, though, I'm looking at getting into photography for money. I'm looking at real estate photography. It's a long story involving disabilities, but I can do an appointment-based business when I can't do a 9-5, and I've always loved photography and see doing it on a professional basis. I realize it's not a get-rich-quick scheme. I want to upgrade to a full frame camera so I can use FX lenses. Money is an issue. I've been looking at the D610 because it's available at B&H for $1k. My question is, am I looking at the right cameras? I'm sure I would upgrade once I had some money coming in. Would there be something else that would suit me better? I know the more expensive cameras are 40MP, so would I be OK with a 20MP camera like the D610 for real estate purposes?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer me!
I see no reason why the D610 wouldn't be ideal for your purpose - certainly quite an upgrade from the D3200.

While the D610 is a fine camera, it wouldn't be my first choice as a primary business camera. The technology is old, having been surpassed by the D750, D810, D850, etc.

My D610 is fairly new, but it's the number three body in my bag, behind a D750 (#2), and a D810 (#1). The D810, even though it's out of production, is miles ahead in features and function, and it's also much quieter. I got the D810 used, with less than 1400 clicks on it, so it's not even broken in yet. I would consider the D810 used, before a new D610.

You'll want a fairly fast lens in the 16-35 or 24-70 class. Care must be taken when using the wide angle lenses, since anything much under 24mm tends to magnify distortion. I own a 16-35 f/4 and a 24-70 f/2.8, and both are excellent lenses.

You also need to find out just what real estate folks want in their images. A DX may look all right on screen, but resolution and pixel sharpness are essential. You should call some of the local realtors, discuss with them their requirements, and then build your equipment from there. There's no point in buying a camera which won't be useful to your clients.

The other factor, and maybe the most important, is lighting. You will absolutely need an external flash capable of TTL. Available light photography is not a real option when shooting indoors. Outdoors, you will likely need flash for fill purposes.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the replies! You've given me some things to think about.

Also understand that realtors are cheap, you won't make as much as you think. They will want you to jump through hoops to get really nice shots, then expect the 3 or 4 hours on site and 3 or 4 more on post processing on 50 shots you just spent to only be worth a couple of hundred, if that.

You are getting into a rough profession, but do your research and go in with eyes wide open. Look at the Nikon D750. It is the professional's camera of choice for general purpose photography like wedding, portraiture and real estate. You can get one in excellent condition on KEH.com for $875. Just mind the shutter count. Most Nikon shutters are good for well over 100,000 actuations, so I would look for one under 50,000 actuations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back