d700 - first clicks

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Astronomers refer to 'First Light' as their first view experience through a new telescope. I'll just vary that a bit and call 'First Clicks' my first impressions with my d700 which was delivered this morning.

The first comment I had for my wife when she asked what I thought was 'Honey, I think this thing has cat's eyes for a sensor!"

Being able to take useable, but noisy photos in a darkened room only lit by night time outside street illumination filtering through the curtains is an impressive capability. I was surprised it was even able to focus and that is without the focus aid light.

I've just been playing around with it since I got back from work just before supper. I put the battery on charge and read part of the rather thick owner's manual while waiting.

Just to see just how well it can do with low light I set auto iso to its maximum value, HI-2 (25600) and started taking snapshots. Simply amazing, well for me it is. I am used to d70 and d200. You can almost (but not really) set shutter and aperture at what you want and let the camera handle the iso.

Another first impression concerns auto wb. It does not seem to be as uncannily accurate and predictable as my d200. I'm sure that is operator error.

I like the info button.

I like the big viewfinder.

I like the viewfinder curtain.

I've no opinion yet on live view. I'll have more of an opinion once I try the camera at prime focus on a telescope.

The weight and feel reminds me of a Nikon f6. I've used an f4s for many years so the size of this camera is comfortable. The button and control layout is so close to that of the d200 as to be almost un-noticeable. The layout of the big bodies from nikon has had an almost natural evolution from the early f models to today.

I like that I can use every nikon mount lens I have on the shelf.

Well that is it for now. Gotta go play some more.

Congrats! One thing I haven't figured out how to work is the auto focus lock. Doesn't matter which position I put it in, I still can make changes to my AF settings. Is it supposed to do that? What am I missing here?

I've used it for a few events so far, involving indoor lighting like poor lit rooms, inside of a fire ground used by fire fighter trainings (charcoal black interior with only one window) and warehouses. It's been great being able to shoot without worry with usable photos. D700 makes me feel like I am winning!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back