D700 Question / Memory card question

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did I just pay $55 dollars for an 8 gig type I CF memory card (larger than my D7000 cards) because they are " old dated" technology or is something truly special about them?

The lady at the store said "you must've bought a specialized digital camera" like she's used to people in shock when they walk up and look at that model card before bending over
lol.gif

? I am missing something in the translation here... Are you really saying that someone just conned you into replacing the CF card because you got a new camera and the old one isn't good enough? or are you saying the clerk acted as if no cameras use cf cards anymore? Which is probably what you meant... IN which case yep, they are clueless unless you're in a camera store. Hell, there are a LOT of places that don't even carry CF cards because all of the entry level to prosumer models are now using SD's. Those of us using a professional body are getting to be a rare breed I guess.

My D7000 took "regular" memory cards. The D700 takes a bigger card (type I CF). I'm sure I could've bought a sandisk adapter of some type but I don't wanna roll like that.

Edit: I think your answer is its actually a better card.... =)

lol, the clerk at Best Buy told me I must have an old camera because nothing uses CF cards anymore....what an idiot. CF cards are a bit costly, I think local merchants sell 4G 30mbs cards for close to $45. I have a drawer full :D

Yeah, there isn't an adapter from an SD to a CF either... You really did have to buy a new card.
You are going to get the best price if your are ordering thru somewhere like Adorama or B&H. Locally they'll be a lot more expensive and people are totally out there on this one...

lol, the clerk at Best Buy told me I must have an old camera because nothing uses CF cards anymore....what an idiot. CF cards are a bit costly, I think local merchants sell 4G 30mbs cards for close to $45. I have a drawer full :D

I was sorta' thinking that too but I admit I don't have any sense. I thought the standard had "for the most part" shifted to the smaller, common ones that are everywhere.

Yeah, there isn't an adapter from an SD to a CF either... You really did have to buy a new card.
You are going to get the best price if your are ordering thru somewhere like Adorama or B&H. Locally they'll be a lot more expensive and people are totally out there on this one...

Thanks, I'll order from there for sure. I didn't see this coming and needed "one" quick so took it hard at Office Max

Thanks - Is a certain brand faster writing than the rest, or is there a preferred brand?

They all have a basic, mid grade and then best. Some of them have a MEGA great. Any of the good name brands should serve you well. CF cards are actually more durable and more secure than SD cards, so they tend to last a lot longer and take one hell of a beating. You just need to make sure you get one that is fast enough to keep up with your demands and you'll be fine. I have some cheap-o kingstons that I have beat the HELL out of. One has gone thru the washer and dryer and still works. They're not my first go to cards, but they still work without a glitch in them.
The SD cards actually have a spinning disc in them. CF cards are solid state memory. nothing moving in them. Obviously when you have any moving parts, those parts can break... much easier than something that doesn't move at all. I like my Lexar cards and my SanDisk. I have a few hoodman, but damn, they are EXPENSIVE!!! I'd love to replace all of my cards with them eventually, but I have to win the lottery first.

Go to Robgalbraith.com and look up your camera's performance figures in the CF card database. Hopefully, your specific card's performance is tested there. If it is, you ought to be able to ascertain if the price payed was worth it or not.

Last edited:
I prefer the SD card because there are no pins to get pinched, but whatchagunnadu?

yes, I upgraded to a d700 from a d90 i had approximately 10 sd cards in various sizes, and when i realized the day i was getting my d700 that i needed a cf card; they are totally expensive! There is only one store in my town that carries them; B&h had a good sale on the 16 gb for $60 the other day; watch their site for good deals!

yes, I upgraded to a d700 from a d90 i had approximately 10 sd cards in various sizes, and when i realized the day i was getting my d700 that i needed a cf card; they are totally expensive! There is only one store in my town that carries them; B&h had a good sale on the 16 gb for $60 the other day; watch their site for good deals!

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back