D700

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
OK so I have the opportunity to purchase a D700 for like $2099. I will not be able to use it professionally for at least one year (my leg is injured and I am not able to currently do weddings). My question is this, should I jump on this price or is the price going to drop at least this low by that time. I would hate to jump on this and find it for $500+less in 6 months. My main reasoning to go after it now is the steep learning curve to go from my D70s to this and use it effectively.

It will most likely go down. Maybe not $500+, but still some.

you will be able to find it for at least that price when you are able to get out and shoot again. If, however you are like me and would spend the money in the meantime, you should go ahead and buy it now.

I would suspect the D700 to be about what the D300 is right now, floating around $1800-2000.

You can get D700's on ebay right now for $2099, and that's usually the best gauge for how the bodies are pricing out.

Remember, the D400 is around the corner, and the D90 will continue to erode the D300 prices, which will "allow" for a cheaper D700. . .although, I'm not sure how Nikon is going to price the D400 below the D700?? Maybe a D700x is more likely??

I'd wait though if you're not going to use it. . .prices won't go up on a digital body!

Well I will be using it it's just going to be a while till I go full bore back to weddings.

I think you better get it. Get it now, play with it, get used to it, then when it's time to start shooting weddings again it'll be like an extension of your body doing what you want it to do.

OK so I have the opportunity to purchase a D700 for like $2099. I will not be able to use it professionally for at least one year ...should I jump on this price or is the price going to drop at least this low by that time.

Are you able to financially carry the $2100 amount for a year? if so, sure go for it, if not, I would pass. The reason of getting it to "learn"and get used to it is not financially sound. In a business one has to think with their head and not their heart. From my D200 to the D700 I got used to it in 2-3 days, thats *it*.

Another issue for you is lenses. From a business stand-point, and from a wedding stand-point, you and I both know that you will need fast FX glass. Is that within your budget? If not, it is another factor to consider.

Personally, if I was not able to use something for business, I would not purchase it before I needed it (to sit on $2100 for a year, as I said... bad business move). In the case of a camera, the D700 is smooth and easy to get to use. Your fear of some steep learning curve is not justiifiable. If it took months to get to learn the D700, you would have heard this on the forums by now and many professionals would be complaining and what not.

Are you able to financially carry the $2100 amount for a year? if so, sure go for it, if not, I would pass. The reason of getting it to "learn"and get used to it is not financially sound. In a business one has to think with their head and not their heart. From my D200 to the D700 I got used to it in 2-3 days, thats *it*.

Economics would suggest that you should weigh the potential price decrease ("loss" of your money) against the utility you get from using it for a year. This is not only learning to use it (which probably won't take a year, but it will take more than an hour), but the utility you get from having it to use for that time. I don't think new prices will drop that much in a year, unless you're going/willing to go used. They are under $2300 on KEH.

In either case, looks like it is wiser to wait than put out the money now. Besides, the prices are going up and down on an almost daily basis... its worse than the damned stock market.

To learn to use the D700, more than an hour? Yes. More than a week? Only if you are a flaming newbie. I'm telling you, the D200 and the D700 are so close that the only thing that tells me it is a D700 in my hand is the weight and the freaking clear noise free pics in the viewfinder and the computer screen. I was comfortable with the D700 from day 1, and it took me a couple days to go through the menus and test things out. To get to know the camera intimately, nothing short of Thom Hogans PDF file on the D700 will do.

If you are set on the D700, an advance purchase of this product and your assimilation time drops even faster, then all you need to work on is "feel", and that came for me in 1-2 days. By feel, I mean being comfy enough with the camera to be able to quickly change settings in dynamic environments without thinking.

Another issue for you is lenses. From a business stand-point, and from a wedding stand-point, you and I both know that you will need fast FX glass. Is that within your budget? If not, it is another factor to consider.

Personally, if I was not able to use something for business, I would not purchase it before I needed it (to sit on $2100 for a year, as I said... bad business move). In the case of a camera, the D700 is smooth and easy to get to use. Your fear of some steep learning curve is not justiifiable. If it took months to get to learn the D700, you would have heard this on the forums by now and many professionals would be complaining and what not.
Well my original setup is in my sig. I have as far as lenses and 85 1.8 and a 70-200 VR 2.8 for good glass but will be updating that as well before I get fully back in the game. I guess the better way to put it would be I WILL be getting an upper end DSLR eventually so if that is the case is this a good deal to jump on.

did you end up getting it? might've been smart seeing as what Nikon is doing with the prices of their lenses!

Well my original setup is in my sig. I have as far as lenses and 85 1.8 and a 70-200 VR 2.8 for good glass but will be updating that as well before I get fully back in the game. I guess the better way to put it would be I WILL be getting an upper end DSLR eventually so if that is the case is this a good deal to jump on.

Totally your choice, JIP. You know your financial situation, but I would not consider you a beginner. D70s or not, it's still a dSLR and the same rules that apply to it apply to the D700. Learning how to use a D700 is NOT a month long process, heck its not even a week long process... seriously!

The only issue that I see here is if you can carry the amount before you get any kind of ROI (return on inventment), thats it. There really is no other real issue here.

A minor issue from the point of using that D700 in a professional manner is that you are lacking a mid-range lens more than anything else. That Nikkor 24-70 of mine sure works well on it. ;)

Also, I have the 15mm Sigma F/2.8 fisheye coming within a couple days, and by the end of April, the order for the Nikkor 14-24 will be placed. As far as lenses go, at that point, unless Nikkor comes out with something *incredible* or my professional needs dictate a Nikkor 300mm F/2.8, I am done with the lens purchases. I'm not a bird watcher, so I don't need the 1200mm F/2.8... lol

Most reactions

Back