D700

you had osteomylitis as well? Umm. . .how do you have the energy to even take pictures/post on this board. . good luck with the recovery man!

Well I was hit by a car 1/06 and then yes I developed Osteomyelitis which was subsequently ignored by my doctor long enough that I had to have 3" of my tib/fib removed when someone finally did treat it. As far as I know it is healing right now but it will still be a year or probably more till they can go back in and lengthen the leg hence the hesitation on spending $2000 on a pro camera even if it is a good deal as there would really be no way to do a wedding in my current condition. In the beginning before my infection I tried a couple of weddings with a cane and that was an unmitigated disaster.

^^ They rape you on shipping costs, but they are still cheaper than Adorama or B&H with free shipping......... hmmmm

I went back and checked, becuase I could not recall...

I paid $33.51 for 3-day shipping/insurance for my D700/Nikkor 24-70. Considering the value of the items, its not bad.

I paid $22 for 3-day shipping for the 15mm fisheye (it came in 2 days)... again, not terrible, and on top of that, all included, it was still at least $75 or more less than what the free-shipping Adorama or B&H could get it to my door for at the time I placed the order.

I don't care what the shipping costs are... what is important is the bottom line that says "total costs" and that they get it to me in a reasonable amount of time. :)

Now if they were 20 bucks cheaper and used Juan Valdez's mule to deliver it to me in Canada, I would pay the 20 bucks more... lol

Edit:Sweet Jesus, I just read the other posts and saw the leg. My best to you JIP, that *has* to sting a little. Screw the camera, it will be there when you get out... concentrate on getting yourself back to 100% and a normal life. Oh, I hope you sue the bastard that did this to you for big bucks, and can then easily afford the D3x and all of the Nikkor primes they have available. ;)

I have to thank you for one thing, JIP... my "challenges" this morning seem quite insignificant compared to yours, and I am very grateful for where I am. Get well soon, bro'

Last edited:
Well I was hit by a car 1/06 and then yes I developed Osteomyelitis which was subsequently ignored by my doctor long enough that I had to have 3" of my tib/fib removed when someone finally did treat it. As far as I know it is healing right now but it will still be a year or probably more till they can go back in and lengthen the leg hence the hesitation on spending $2000 on a pro camera even if it is a good deal as there would really be no way to do a wedding in my current condition. In the beginning before my infection I tried a couple of weddings with a cane and that was an unmitigated disaster.

MY GOD - I suspected from that X-ray that they probably forgot to put you on an aggressive adjuvant IV antibiotic - did they eventually put you on linezolid or vancomycin for that?

I sub-specialize in ID, so that's why I'm asking. . .

MY GOD - I suspected from that X-ray that they probably forgot to put you on an aggressive adjuvant IV antibiotic - did they eventually put you on linezolid or vancomycin for that?

I sub-specialize in ID, so that's why I'm asking. . .

They starte e with Vanco which was a ***** cause it took so long to adminster. When the cultures finally came back they switched me to Dapto. I went through 2 courses and 2 PICC lines one of which ended up infected while I was on a vacation (if you have a choice DON'T get one of those). After the second one I had a culture done in Sept and all is clear so far so all I have to do is heal now so they can lenghthen it.

Well good to hear your cultures are clear. . .with Osteo, I'm surprised they put a PICC in, due to risk of re-infection, but man, good luck with the recovery and frankly, I'd buy the D700 just so you can enjoy your convalescence!!

I paid $33.51 for 3-day shipping/insurance for my D700/Nikkor 24-70. Considering the value of the items, its not bad.

I paid $22 for 3-day shipping for the 15mm fisheye (it came in 2 days)... again, not terrible, and on top of that, all included, it was still at least $75 or more less than what the free-shipping Adorama or B&H could get it to my door for at the time I placed the order.

I don't care what the shipping costs are... what is important is the bottom line that says "total costs" and that they get it to me in a reasonable amount of time. :)

Now if they were 20 bucks cheaper and used Juan Valdez's mule to deliver it to me in Canada, I would pay the 20 bucks more... lol
Hey Jerry, do you end up paying a lot in customs? And did you buy it back when the dollar was on par?

Currently, to buy that camera from America, it would be something like this: 2,300.00 USD

=

2,878.90 CAD

Then any customs and shipping on top of it. Back when I bought my XT, I got it refurbished from Adorama, it was 425 USD. I had to pay 80 dollars customs, and I don't remember what shipping was. I don't really want to think what customs is on 2300 USD.

Hey Jerry, do you end up paying a lot in customs? And did you buy it back when the dollar was on par?

How can I put this delicately... I live 35 minutes from the border. ;)

The day I picked it up the US dollar was starting to make a come-back so it was around 25.6% (I just checked with a friend), but I had bought some US currency earlier at the time it was 99.5% so in essence, I paid 0.05% exchange.

I pretty much paid in Cdn what I paid in US. It was a smart piece of advice that my friend pushed me into. :D

Just checked again to be sure, but they want $59.40 for UPS (ackkk) 3 day delivery. This still puts them $107 cheaper than Adorama with the same 3 day delivery. B&H are within $1 (I think) and haven't checked Amazon yet, but I believe they use Adorama.

BTW, no one local has a copy to do a touchy-feely on. :(

JIP..... my word, that's awful. Hoping for a full recovery for you. My sack shrank when I saw the X-ray. Hope you have a good attorney and better meds.

Well I was hit by a car 1/06 and then yes I developed Osteomyelitis which was subsequently ignored by my doctor long enough that I had to have 3" of my tib/fib removed when someone finally did treat it.

Damn dude. All the best on the recovery. I agree with Jerry. If you are not going to miss having the money for the period of your recovery, get it now. If you think that money may come in handy at some point, maybe its best to wait. But only you can answer that.

JIP, on second thought, you should wait for the D700 until you're fully recovered. In the meantime, PM me the details of your deal. You can live vicariously through my images over the next year. :biggrin:

JIP, get the body and put a gunner's rack on a wheelchair and have some fun. There are a number of Paraplegics doing great work in portraits, street and any number of other disciplines so I have every confidence in you so get to gettin!

Dude, that is one Hazzaard of a break!!! I had a hip replaced but I think that you've got me beat. :mrgreen:

I bought mine in Hong Kong and it dropped the equivalent of 125USD in the two months since I have had it. Unless you are a slow learner or you are likely to use it a lot between now and 6 months down I don't see why you should rush. Plus you also get the advantage of waiting to see if nikon release anything that is more suitable in the meantime

I was at a local photography meetup group yesterday and one of the attendees had a D700. When he learned that I was interested in one for myself, he let me take a few shots with it. I didn't change any of his settings (jpeg ARRRGGHHH) except for aperture and shutterspeed. Oh yeah and the ISO. :) I threw on my 35mm f/2 lens and fired.

Taken at ISO6400, f/4.5, 1/320s
D700-ISO6400.jpg

100% crop
D700-ISO6400-100percent.jpg

These are SOOC and only resized for the web.

I was bloody impressed to say the least.

Taken at ISO6400, f/4.5, 1/320s

100% crop
D700-ISO6400-100percent.jpg

Hate to tell you... the shot is lightly underexposed, so that and being shot in JPG both added a significant amount of noise to the pic. If you are impressed now, wait till you get yours and learn the little tweaks once it's in your hands a couple days. ;)

Most reactions

Back