Light Artisan
No longer a newbie, moving up!
- Joined
- Feb 2, 2010
- Messages
- 1,131
- Reaction score
- 16
- Location
- Minnesota
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
Ordered on the 7th of this month, figured it would get here sometime in December - but to my suprise it arrived today, not bad considering it's backordered everywhere.
Seems like a solid body, should compliment the D300s well. I picked this up mostly for the better ISO performance and I like the dual SD slots, got used to 2 cards in my D300s, but never understood why they went with 1 CF and 1 SD slot.
Focus seemed really fast and accurate, which is good because I do a lot of bird in flight shots and shots on hard to focus areas (birds/squirrels etc in brush).
Anyway, so far I really like - although I did have one issue already.
Unboxed it, put the kit lens to the side and put on my 70-200 lens, inserted 2 SD cards and the battery and went for a little lunch time photo walk.
All went well, headed back to work and played around the menus a bit in the parking lot to familiarize myself with it more. I knew the battery was getting low (said around 28% remaining).
Tried a quick bracketing burst and got nothing, looked at the top LCD and saw the dreaded 'Err' flashing.
Best I can tell the shutter wasn't making a complete pass, after pressing the shutter button again it would clear but never take a photo.
Removed the battery, no change.
Swapped SD cards, no change.
Swapped lenses, no change.
Thought it might be the battery... brought everything into work and charged it up, been working great ever since.
My only thought on this is that since I didn't charge the battery first, maybe it wasn't reading right. I guess we'll see, if it does it again though it's getting exchanged.
Any thoughts?
Seems like a solid body, should compliment the D300s well. I picked this up mostly for the better ISO performance and I like the dual SD slots, got used to 2 cards in my D300s, but never understood why they went with 1 CF and 1 SD slot.
Focus seemed really fast and accurate, which is good because I do a lot of bird in flight shots and shots on hard to focus areas (birds/squirrels etc in brush).
Anyway, so far I really like - although I did have one issue already.
Unboxed it, put the kit lens to the side and put on my 70-200 lens, inserted 2 SD cards and the battery and went for a little lunch time photo walk.
All went well, headed back to work and played around the menus a bit in the parking lot to familiarize myself with it more. I knew the battery was getting low (said around 28% remaining).
Tried a quick bracketing burst and got nothing, looked at the top LCD and saw the dreaded 'Err' flashing.
Best I can tell the shutter wasn't making a complete pass, after pressing the shutter button again it would clear but never take a photo.
Removed the battery, no change.
Swapped SD cards, no change.
Swapped lenses, no change.
Thought it might be the battery... brought everything into work and charged it up, been working great ever since.
My only thought on this is that since I didn't charge the battery first, maybe it wasn't reading right. I guess we'll see, if it does it again though it's getting exchanged.
Any thoughts?
Last edited:
