D7000 Refocusing Problem

Raytonium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I noticed something Saturday while out shooting my wife. I normally shoot AF-S with the center focus point only, using focus and reframe. I also set the Release mode to CL and usually shoot 3 frames because sometimes she blinks. Then, during post I pick the best of the 3 and work on that one.

Anyway, I noticed the camera refocusing on the 2nd and 3rd shots. I don't take my finger off of the shutter release, I just let 2 or 3 frames click off. Since I reframe, the focus of all shots after the first was somewhere in the distance. I don't know what I might have changed in the menu to cause this.

I do have a user setting saved that has the focus moved to the AE-L/AF-L button on the back and when I tried that, everything worked as expected, meaning the focus stayed locked for all 3 shots after reframing.

During that same session I noticed that the metering was acting up. She was standing in a dimly lit doorway with bright outdoor light behind. Matrix metering was exposing the background correctly, but she was almost in silhouette. I tried center-weighted and even spot and some shots it would expose correctly and other shots looked like the matrix metered ones. It seemed random, no matter where I tried to point to, to set exposure.

I don't know if these might be related--indicating some type of internal problem, or could it be a setting I missed.

If anyone has some insight as to what might be wrong, it would be much appreciated.

It could be a problem with the camera, but even still with spot metering on it can still play tricks on you and take in light from outside of the subject, like the light behind her in this case. IMO you can't always rely on what that is telling you and need to take advantage of the screen between shots and double check. As far as the focusing, is the focus system set to continuous? Even if the subjects not moving ive forggoten to take my continuous off and had it mess with me a bit.

I would reset the cameras settings to default and see if you have the same issue.

If you need support its available to you at Nikon:

Phone: 1-310-414-8107 (7am to 3pm PST, Monday through Friday)

I'm not as worried about the metering problem, which could just be anomalies.

I'm set to AF-S with just the center point selected. Focus on her eye, hold shutter release halfway, reframe, press shutter release the rest of the way down and hold it for 2 or 3 frames. The problem is after the first frame clicks, I can see the camera refocus on something in the background (because that's where the center point is resting after reframing) for all subsequent frames.

I have a question pending at Nikon support, and if I don't get satisfaction that way, I will give them a call. Thanks.

I think that's what it is supposed to do, however I seldom use AF-S so I can't be certain. Even though you don't remove your finger from the shutter, the camera is seeing it as a different shot, which it in fact is, and refocusing. If you don't want it to just lock the focus, the button is right under your right thumb.

I think that's what it is supposed to do, however I seldom use AF-S so I can't be certain.  Even though you don't remove your finger from the shutter, the camera is seeing it as a different shot, which it in fact is, the button is halfway down, so it is refocusing. If you don't want it to do that, just lock the focus. The button is right under your right thumb.

Raytonium said:
I'm not as worried about the metering problem, which could just be anomalies.

I'm set to AF-S with just the center point selected. Focus on her eye, hold shutter release halfway, reframe, press shutter release the rest of the way down and hold it for 2 or 3 frames. The problem is after the first frame clicks, I can see the camera refocus on something in the background (because that's where the center point is resting after reframing) for all subsequent frames.

I have a question pending at Nikon support, and if I don't get satisfaction that way, I will give them a call. Thanks.

I don't believe that af-s will hold the focus for multiple shots. It will focus after each shot. Back button focusing (ae-l/af-l) will lock the focus for multiple shots.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't recall it losing focus in the past using this same method, that's why I thought there was a problem.

What lens are you using? That might play in it as well. Also if that center focus point is moving away from the subject at all when your reframing it will refocus itself, while its not continus when the focal plane changes it still refocuses, thats what the AF-L button is for. Unless your using a really slow lens or you mean its having trouble focusing all together I don't seem to think their is a problem, it sounds like the camera is just refocusing when the focus point is moved to a different area on the subject or background which is normal. Regardless of AF-S or AF-C the camera is going to refocus itsel fon whatever the focus point is on, its just a matter of how aggresive it is. AF-S Just locks focus in that moment while AF-C never really locks the focus and constantly adjusts

You could always use manual focus as well

Last edited:
Raytonium said:
Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't recall it losing focus in the past using this same method, that's why I thought there was a problem.

It will - especially if you recompose. I use af-s all the time. That why BBF is great. It will lock the focus for multiple shots even if you recompose.

Also, the metering issue - what mode were you shooting in? What you said happened with matrix metering sounds normal if you didn't add exposure compensation or if you just metered it out to 0. With spot metering - if in manual - you pointed a spot at the person and metered it out to 0 it might still be a little dark. If you were in aperture priority using spot metering it's going to meter off of whatever you focus on and you might still need to add some exposure compensation.

What lens are you using? That might play in it as well. Also if that center focus point is moving away from the subject at all when your reframing it will refocus itself, while its not continus when the focal plane changes it still refocuses, thats what the AF-L button is for. Unless your using a really slow lens or you mean its having trouble focusing all together I don't seem to think their is a problem, it sounds like the camera is just refocusing when the focus point is moved to a different area on the subject or background which is normal. Regardless of AF-S or AF-C the camera is going to refocus itsel fon whatever the focus point is on, its just a matter of how aggresive it is. AF-S Just locks focus in that moment while AF-C never really locks the focus and constantly adjusts

I do have a user setting that moves focus to the rear button, and it does lock between frames. I just don't remember it refocusing as I described during previous sessions. I'm sure I would have noticed while reviewing the 2 or 3 frames, that only the first one was in focus everytime. I guess I didn't understand that it won't hold focus between subsequent frames (even though it did before.)

I tried at least 3 different lenses.

I was in aperture priority mode and matrix worked as expected, but center-weighted and spot were hit and miss--some were dark and some were exposed correctly. But that could have been operator error.

shady195 said:

A half press of the shutter should technically lock focus. So, if the OP was using af-s then focusing by half pressing the shutter and then recomposing - it should not refocus until after the shot is taken. Af-c is probably different.

A half press of the shutter should technically lock focus. So, if the OP was using af-s then focusing by half pressing the shutter and then recomposing - it should not refocus until after the shot is taken. Af-c is probably different.

If that is true, will it hold focus if I don't let up on the shutter release while in CL release mode?

If that is true, will it hold focus if I don't let up on the shutter release while in CL release mode?

There are several options. First, there is a focus lock button. When pressed, the AF will not work but the body will still allow you to release the shutter. The other option is you can set the AE-L button on the back to be a back focus button. In this case, it will only AF when you press that button and the shutter button will be dedicated to only shutter release (half-press will not AF in this case).

No, because you recomposed.

Also take a good look at page 93 of your D7000 user's manual - Getting Good Results with Auto Focus and the 6 situations they note when AF will have problems.
She was standing in a dimly lit doorway with bright outdoor light behind.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back