This is the right time..
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently being looking to upgrade my kit to Full Frame,

On another forum I've been offered a trade of my current setup for a Canon 5D + Grip (4 Batteries etc) + 24-105 f4 L. Shutter count of 20K approx.

On one hand it is FF, on the other, having only ever shot with Nikon, it's a Canon, and it's tech is much older than that of the D7000.

What would you do....

I'd keep the Nikon and add the cheap 18-105 kit lens

18-105 was a consideration for a while, but given the Tokina, the 35mm and I have a 50 - I was thinking either 55-200 or 70-300 as a next lens. I'm not really looking for a 1 lens does all, just this is the one that was offered.
Given my research into the 5D thus far, it seems better to continue to grow with my current setup and save for a newer FF system in time. I'm by no means trying to "keep up with the Jones'" but wondered if this would be a good step into a FF setup..

Thanks for the feedback..

I had a 5d classic and the 24-105mm. I thought it was brilliant. My lens failed and I fancied the m4/3rds system, repaired lens and sold all my Canon stuff. The reason I'm stating this is to say I didn't sell it because it wasn't good, just that I changed.

My micro 4/3rds system and the D7100 I now have take images with as good quality as the 5d took.

Certainly ff has some benefits, and some cons but if you ate going the fulkframe route I recommend staying with Nikon. Not because Nikon are better, but jumping systems becomes awkward and expensive. If you have any remotes, flash units, some batteries and in some case lenses you have some chance of using them on a Nikon. With Canon you are starting again, plus the fact the controls are very different.

In your case if ff is a def, I think the Nikon d610 is a good target, or if you want to go second hand a d700. However if your going that way I advise buying ff lenses from here on. You can use your own in crop mode, but do you want to?

Sound advice,

I aim to minimise the buying of lens' to pick up FF lenses going forward, that's already decided which is why when looking at a tele I'm more looking at one that I can use on Crop with a altered FOV and can keep when moving to FF. I am not a rich man and throwing money away on buying everything I can is not a sport for me.
Also, re: the system switch, I think it'd be a bit of a pain too at this stage, controls etc, as I said I've owned only Nikon so I think it's time to consider my next tele glass and then start saving for a ff Nikon..

As for tele lens the Tamron 70-300 vc works on crop and ff, as does nikons own 70-300 vr, both well reviewed and affordable. I will say though unless conditions are harsh, even nikons full frame models won't give much better quality than the d7000. In shots with iso say 800 or below that camera has great dynamic range and noise handling. It's a good camera to be using.

Last edited:
70-300 VR is the one I've been eyeing for some time now :)

As for the camera itself, I got a great deal on it with about 30K on the clock & the Tokina 12-24 f/4. I've still much to learn but as I said I don't simply want to throw money into a kit / setup that I will be switching in the longer run, hence why I have, and as you mention, been looking at glass that I can take with me.. D7000 is a great camera and I am acutely aware that a more expensive piece of kit doesn't improve the photo, just a desire of mine, coupled, probably with a little impatience, to move to FF setup and continue growing.

Most reactions

Back