D7100 back button

PhotoriousMe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Learning all the ins and outs of the D7100. What are the advantages of programming the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-L only? And I guess if I were to do thing I loose the ability to AE-L before a shot?

Dave

You can research back button focus by using a "tips and tricks" type search engine for your specific camera.

There are several advantages to separating focus lock as a discrete function and using exposure lock (either as discrete or in combination with) and shutter release as a shutter only press.

Once you use BBF, you'll probably never go back to the more "coventional" but less useful technique that came with your camera..

I have no specific information for you specific camera so there may be slight variations between my experience and your own. However, here are a few comments I made regarding BBF on another forum ...

"As to why? ...

It's easy to implement.

Easy to use since the back button falls nicely within reach.

Once focus is locked, you're able to more easily make other alterations to your basic settings.

It locks focus without locking exposure.

No problems with losing focus or releasing the shutter while you reframe.

Shutter release button can be used as a shutter release button.

If you are taking multiple shots where focus doesn't need to be adjusted, it's fast and consistent.

(Think of the above as, say, a sunset or sunrise where you are focusing on a hyper focal distance with the camera set up on a tripod. Or any HDR sequence.)

It's completely reversible at any time through a switch in the main menu.

Those are the best, IMO, and most basic reasons for using BBF. But check the archives for more complete examples.

One camera I use has the ability to implement BBF and two do not. Every one of my cameras has a different set of trade offs but I sure do miss BBF on those other two."

I use both 'conventional' shutter-release focus and BBF. Which one I use depends on what I'm shooting.

Moving targets: Shutter button.
Static stuff: BBF.

I don't consider one or the other 'less useful'. One is not better than the other. They're both tools, and I use them to my advantage.

One person's "Greatest Feature In The World" is another person's "Worthless Marketing Gimmick".

All I can tell you is to try shooting something moving, moving FAST, and see how well having to press two buttons instead of one button to accomplish the same thing works out.

I keep hearing this hype about how great it is to separate the shutter action from the autofocus action. Personally I don't want them separate. I like having them both in the same button.

I keep hearing this hype about it allowing one to recompose without losing focus. That's built in to every Nikon I've used without having to mess around with two buttons. Set the focus mode to AF-S (as in SINGLE focus mode), focus wherever you want to and hold the shutter button half pressed, recompose as desired, finish pressing the shutter button. That's why it's called "Single" focus mode, the camera focuses ONE TIME and then doesn't change it until the shot is taken or the shutter button is released.

Try it for yourself, that's why the feature is there. Don't listen to me or anyone else, decide for yourself whether it's worth the trouble or not. To me it most certainly is not.

SCraig said:
I keep hearing this hype about how great it is to separate the shutter action from the autofocus action. Personally I don't want them separate. I like having them both in the same button.

SNIP>>Don't listen to me or anyone else, decide for yourself whether it's worth the trouble or not. To me it most certainly is not.

I agree on both counts. I mostly use the thumb buttons for focus LOCK functionality. My cameras have an AE-L/ AF-L combination button, and a separate AF-ON button for horizontals. The vertical grip has a single button, a thumb button, the AF-ON button, for "talls". I shoot a lot of talls. I use that one AF ON button as my focus lock occasionally.

I want a brand-new focus established for almost every,single frame. For me, that means combining the focusing step and the shutter firing into one, single operation, so I keep the focus operation on the trigger.

Last edited:
I use both 'conventional' shutter-release focus and BBF. Which one I use depends on what I'm shooting.

Moving targets: Shutter button.
Static stuff: BBF.

I don't consider one or the other 'less useful'. One is not better than the other. They're both tools, and I use them to my advantage.

This may very well be the best case solution. I really don't shoot moving objects and cannot comment on how well BBF would fit into that situation. The camera I most often use for wildlife photography doesn't offer BBF as a feature.

I would only ask ,what is the process for activating BBF and defeating it on your camera?

My Canon SL1 has the switch in a somewhat inconvenient location in its menu. But the SL1 is a budget camera and ease of access to features is one of its downsides. They are there, you just have to work a bit harder to reach them.

....I would only ask ,what is the process for activating BBF and defeating it on your camera?........

Normally, it's buried in the Menu, but I have it in the My Menu feature. Hit the DOF button (reprogrammed to display My Menu), scroll down, scroll right and choose which I want. Bam, done. Works just as easily to reverse the process. Maybe 3 seconds max.

I too find back button focusing a real PITA plus when I use spot metering I need exposure lock and assigning the AE-L/AF-L to AF-Only means I run out of buttons to do AE-L.

It doesn't look like the OP was asking about AF-On or Back-button-focus.

It looks like the OP was asking about why one would want to set the "AE-L/AF-L button to AF-L only"
As shown on page 256 of the D7100 AF-L only locks the focus when the AE-L/AF-L button is pressed. Initiating focus is still done with the shutter 1/2 press when AF-L only is selected.

It doesn't look like the OP was asking about AF-On or Back-button-focus
True, also I'm confusing the "AF-L only" setting with AF-ON which is the setting for back button focusing so disregard my previous post, but I still see no advantage to using either AF-L or back button focusing and prefer to have the AF-L/EF-L button dedicated to exposure lock.

....I would only ask ,what is the process for activating BBF and defeating it on your camera?........

Normally, it's buried in the Menu, but I have it in the My Menu feature. Hit the DOF button (reprogrammed to display My Menu), scroll down, scroll right and choose which I want. Bam, done. Works just as easily to reverse the process. Maybe 3 seconds max.

In that case, I see no real reason not to experiment.

I guess, if you're going into a situation where you probably won't use the feature, then don't activate it. Experience will tell you what is right.

Otherwise, IMO you'll prefer the ability to separate and lock various functions normally tied to a half pressed shutter release and then hoooooooooolllllllld that until you find just the right moment.

It's not that BBF gives you a different button for focus. It is, IMO, all about giving you more options. You can re-lock focus at any time by another press on the button.

You can use your thumb to make other changes as the scene develops. You can concentrate on taking a photo.

I would think you can also assign another button (usually in close proximity to your BBF button) to use as your exposure lock.

I would say the point is the camera manufacturer has joined several functions into the shutter half press that benefits the less experienced photographer. Separating each function to a discrete button gives the photographer seeking control more options and greater control.

So much nonsense on points you just cannot seem to grasp...

OP - not sure at this point if you are interested in BBF or not. Whether you call it hype or BS, or if it's too difficult to do or not - engineers implemented the functionality probably because enough photographers requested it. If it does not work for you then fine, but some find it useful and not difficult to do.
Back Button Focus: What it is, why you want it & setup guide

Last edited:
I use back Button AF-L
when I shot soccer

There are instances when I'll capture the ball rambling quickly across the field.
I have the player in focus before a shot then I'll AF-L and Shot away. I'll have the player in focus and as I pan the camera usually in AFC-Single I don't have to worry about the camera focusing on something 50 feet beyond the player/ball or another players closer or farther away; someone sitting on the sidelines, etc.

I'm usually shooting at f/2.8, So I use AF-L on the back button.

works like a charm.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back