D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auslese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I believe my previous camera D80 did this, but I never tried it. Now I am seeing the beauty and interest of black and white. The d7100 lets you edit an individual image to BW, but seeing every image in this format would allow for picking those where it is appropriate....... Thanks..

Yes, but you have to select jpeg and raw. The jpeg will be b+w, the raw will retain all its properties but need to be converted to a jpeg in appropriate software

Yes, but you have to select jpeg and raw. The jpeg will be b+w, the raw will retain all its properties but need to be converted to a jpeg in appropriate software
Tried that, and the jpeg is still color, is there another setting that has to be changed.

Yes. Go into picture style and change to b and w

Not sure as d7200 menu slightly different. Maybe it's called picture control. Should be in index of manual, but is def one of the menu settings

I would never let a camera create a b&w. Never.

Reason is, the algorithm used to convert the image was created by someone on the other side of the planet, who had NO IDEA what my needs are.

I'd suggest you shoot in RAW + JPEG, and set the camera to shoot black & white. Use the b&w jpeg to 'proof' the image in-camera, but create the final image by editing the .NEF file. It will have all the color data available to you and will open up every possibility conceivable to create the monochrome image you want.

There's a myriad ways to convert to b&w..... why limit yourself to just one? And one that's really a one-size-fits-all bandaid?

Reason is, the algorithm used to convert the image was created by someone on the other side of the planet, who had NO IDEA what my needs are.

I'd suggest you shoot in RAW + JPEG, and set the camera to shoot black & white. Use the b&w jpeg to 'proof' the image in-camera, but create the final image by editing the .NEF file. It will have all the color data available to you and will open up every possibility conceivable to create the monochrome image you want.

There's a myriad ways to convert to b&w..... why limit yourself to just one? And one that's really a one-size-fits-all bandaid?
Sure converting to BW is easy, but doing it to every photo post processing is impossible as I take tens of thousands of photos. If I could view all of them instantly in BW, then I could see reality in a totally different and forgotten way and I could choose the shots that were better in BW without taking the days needed to convert them. The camera should be able to do this and I am told that it can, but no one seems to be able to confirm how to do it.

It's been explained above how to do it.

Sure converting to BW is easy, but doing it to every photo post processing is impossible as I take tens of thousands of photos. If I could view all of them instantly in BW, then I could see reality in a totally different and forgotten way and I could choose the shots that were better in BW without taking the days needed to convert them. The camera should be able to do this and I am told that it can, but no one seems to be able to confirm how to do it.
Is there any software that would allow me to view color photos instantly in BW? This would allow me to choose the best images and then use my editor to create the BW image in post processing. Note I need to be able to view thousands of images in as little time as possible, so changing color settings in each image is not possible or timely.

It's been explained above how to do it.
No it was not, and the owners manual does not list this as an option. I build and program computers, so I am not illiterate.

That's exactly what you are doing..... you view the JPEGs as b&w because you set the camera to shoot b&w so that's what they are. If you need to edit them in any other way, you edit one .NEF in whatever editor you use, then batch process the rest.

2 minutes in post, then apply the one edit to the rest of the day's shoot. Bam, done!

Lightroom has B&W presets for the initial import.
I've never used them, but it looks like you can import and convert to B&W automatically during import.

If not, setting one B&W and then syncing all the rest to that first one is simple and fast.

That's exactly what you are doing..... you view the JPEGs as b&w because you set the camera to shoot b&w so that's what they are. If you need to edit them in any other way, you edit one .NEF in whatever editor you use, then batch process the rest.

2 minutes in post, then apply the one edit to the rest of the day's shoot. Bam, done!
Forget it the entire idea is a bust, why, because my cards image count goes from 1300 images to 400 at my settings, which would mean that I need a new card, and also another backup drive to store the images as I keep them all. Now I want to view the color images in BW in a viewer or switch my monitors settings to BW, which would serve the same purpose for me, and it is cheaper all the way around. So that is a new question, is there viewer that would allow me to quickly scan all color images as BW, so I could choose the ones that I want to convert in an editor in post processing. Sorry to be difficult, but saving to two formats means trillions and trillions of more bites to store, for no reason. JPEG is easier and better, though I know some disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then try this über-simple solution:

Shoot in full-color JPEG, then batch process them to b&w in post. View the b&w in any viewer or editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back