D7100?

I'll say no to the touch screen, but the GUI could use an upgrade or something.

The flip screen would be really nice if the auto focus worked better when in live view. I've used it with my D5100 and it does come in handy for odd angle shots but the autofocus is hit or miss. jmho

greybeard said:
The flip screen would be really nice if the auto focus worked better when in live view. I've used it with my D5100 and it does come in handy for odd angle shots but the autofocus is hit or miss. jmho

I met a guy a couple of weeks ago that only shoots in live view on his 5100. There's no way I would.

As a programmer I honestly cant believe how inefficient they designed the interface of their cameras. Seriously, if I have a nice button with LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN, then why didnt they do a 3D menu ?!? Much faster to operate than having to scroll endlessly

If they do a touch screen, menu surfing could get again much faster. However, it has to be pointed out that menu surfing should still only be done for RARELY NEEDED options. Also, the screen would be full of fingerprints all the time, which I could see as a problem. Whats the point of getting more and more higher resolution monitors when they cant show the picture clearly anyway ?

A touch screen could however be a nice option for cameras like this one: Casio EX-V8

greybeard said:

I met a guy a couple of weeks ago that only shoots in live view on his 5100. There's no way I would.
LOL it takes the D5100 2 seconds to shoot a picture in lifeview. And its a PITA to keep reenabling it all the time again. On the plus side, contrast autofocus is always on spot.

(Oh, and if you want to shoot FAST on the D5100 in lifeview: you can do that if you use manual focus. Now dont ask me how thats supposed to work...)

Funny you mentioned this because I was just researching it today. I couldn't find any specs or anything yet but some people are speculating what we will have seen 3 new DSLRs from Nikon by the end of the year. The 3200 is already out, the D600 people think will be out in the fall. Naturally, it is time for an upgrade for the 7k. I, personally, would expect to see more MPs, better video and probably just the other stuff already mentioned.
We already have: D4, D800, D3200

Yeah, I misspoke. The posts that I've read on those speculations are outside of the D4 and D800. So I guess that would mean 5 new cameras by the end of this year or maybe 3 new with the announcement of 2 more coming up in 2013. It's all just guessing and speculating, anyway.

The D7000 is a weather proof camera. Putting a swivel screen will make it non-weather proof, and a weak point on the sturdy camera body. I think this is the major reason why camera manufacturers do not put swivel screens on higher end models.

I dont see why a swirvel screen cant be waterproof.

No Nikon DSLR is weather or water proof, they are only weather resistant , with some models more resistant than others by benefit of their weather sealing.

Last edited:

Sure it could be weather resistant. Hell they could make the camera waterproof. But let's face it, many of these things we are listing are adding $$ to the price tag and may bumb the cost too far to be placed in the prosumer level and then probably not be a 7X00.

Sure it could be weather resistant. Hell they could make the camera waterproof. But let's face it, many of these things we are listing are adding $$ to the price tag and may bumb the cost too far to be placed in the prosumer level and then probably not be a 7X00.

Are you implying that Nikon's markup on the hardware is not that great? I tend to disagree. I bet 90% of their product line is built for under $1,000.00/ea. from start to MSRP.

I don't get how that relates to Nikon's markup on a per model basis.

No doubt, Nikon sells way more of the D3200 and D5100, than they sell D7000's and their prosumer and pro models. In fact, I would expect that Nikon's entry-level lineup is where they make the majority of the profits.
Also, I would expect Nikon sells most of it's cameras at wholesale prices to retailers, and not directly to the public at retail prices.

For every TPF member that buys a D3200, there are thousands of other people out there that buy one.

KmH said:
I don't get how that relates to Nikon's markup on a per model basis.

No doubt, Nikon sells way more of the D3200 and D5100, than they sell D7000's and their prosumer and pro models. In fact, I would expect that Nikon's entry-level lineup is where they make the majority of the profits.
Also, I would expect Nikon sells most of it's cameras at wholesale prices to retailers, and not directly to the public at retail prices.

For every TPF member that buys a D3200, there are thousands of other people out there that buy one.

That's simple. It doesn't cost them much more to make a 7000 than it does a 3200, if it costs any more at all. My point being, there is plenty of profit margin to waterproof the units without removing it from the "prosumer" budget area.

Mind you, Nikon would put an even bigger markup on a waterproofed unit because it's a wow factor. I'm just saying the margin is plenty large enough to play with on their units.

All "wholesale" means is it is 30% off of MSRP. The margin probably isn't that large from retailer to end user as well. However, you can bet on the manufacturing end, it's a pretty big margin. I'd say probably keystone, maybe a bit less. Let's say it is keystone, at wholesale they still have a 70% profit margin.

Last edited:

Are you implying that Nikon's markup on the hardware is not that great? I tend to disagree. I bet 90% of their product line is built for under $1,000.00/ea. from start to MSRP.

We all know that the more features a camera has, the heftier the price. Many camera companies don't just base their camera level on just specs and body features alone. If Nikon were to add a swivel screen, waterproofing and touch screen, along with all of the other improved specs, they will raise the price. But the real question is, how expensive can a camera get before it is too high to be considered a prosumer level camera?

I think the better question would be how can they bring the price of cameras down? Does anyone think the price of the D7000 will drop any further with the pending release of the D600 or whatever Nikon decides to replace the D7000 with? They've got the D5100 marked down $200 right now, and the D7000 at $100 off. Is it even within the realm of possibility that the D7000 body only could drop to $999 or lower if Nikon is really coming out with something new? Or maybe $499 for the D5100? If Nikon really does have an ace up their sleeve, this might be a good time to pick up a great camera on the cheap. Consider that these models are battle tested and proven. The new 24mp and 36mp sensors are still new. One could buy a current body for a great price and wait until the kinks get ironed out of the new lineup. I would think the second generation of the high mp sensors would be better with the bugs worked out.

Personally, I'd pass on the D7100 for just that reason. I'd be more in the hunt for a great deal on a outgoing D7000 (or D5100) that is still a capable camera for a fraction of the cost. Plus, I wouldn't have to deal with Nikon's inevitable firmware and availability issues with all their new releases.

Last edited:
I think the better question would be how can they bring the price of cameras down? Does anyone think the price of the D7000 will drop any further with the pending release of the D600 or whatever Nikon decides to replace the D7000 with? They've got the D5100 marked down $200 right now, and the D7000 at $100 off. Is it even within the realm of possibility that the D7000 body only could drop to $999 or lower if Nikon is really coming out with something new? Or maybe $499 for the D5100? If Nikon really does have an ace up their sleeve, this might be a good time to pick up a great camera on the cheap. Consider that these models are battle tested and proven. The new 24mp and 36mp sensors are still new. One could buy a current body for a great price and wait until the kinks get ironed out of the new lineup. I would think the second generation of the high mp sensors would be better with the bugs worked out.

Personally, I'd pass on the D7100 for just that reason. I'd be more in the hunt for a great deal on a outgoing D7000 (or D5100) that is still a capable camera for a fraction of the cost. Plus, I wouldn't have to deal with Nikon's inevitable firmware and availability issues with all their new releases.

I say wait. With the new announcements coming up the currents cameras are probably going to stay at the same price range until these cameras hit the market. I have no problem with staying one generation behind. You are still getting great cameras for a fraction of the price. Except for the D600. I've been scouring for a cheap FX camera.

PDAs far as the price drops go look at what current cameras have done. The D3000 is now 2/3 SRP now that the 3rd gen has come out. The D5000 is now 8/10 SRP. The replacement for the D7000 is going to spark a price drop. It's very hard for a store to keep selling a camera for the same price when the newer version is sitting right next to it. Most people don't have a problem coughing up a couple hundred bucks for the newer model. Instead, they have to give people a reason to buy the older product so they can clear their shelves.

Most reactions

Back