d7200 vs d700 compare but cant made up my mind..

It's funny this thread re-surfaced today. I just bought a D700 for a back up to my d500. IQ on the D600 is phenomenal, but it doesn't drive my 500 F4 very fast. Figured I would change it up since the D700 is so cheap now..
Which 500 do you have?
I know the built in body focus motor is stronger on the d700 than the d600.
But I thought your 500 was AF-S so I'm curious what you mean by it driving the 500mm?
I have the 500 F4 VR G(so yes it is AF-S). On the D500 it is wicked quick, on the D600 it is slow and sometimes just stalls. I vaguely remember the same experience when I had the Tamron 150-600, it was faster on the D7100 and D800 then it was on the D600. It might be the AF module is more sure footed? I'm not really sure.
It's not your imagination.

When I got my d750 the AF drove me nuts as I was used to my d600.
The d600 is great on subjects in lower contrast subjects, such as when I was taking pics of aircraft up about 7+miles away. This is using center focus point.
The D750, well, it just didn't like that. It wanted more contrast.

This drove me nuts for a while as I was trying to use the d750 just as I use the d600.
If i move the d750 focus point out of the center area then the d750 could focus quick on those aircraft.

Conversely, bring the subject much more to the ground and the AF on the D750 is faster than the D600. on higher contrast subjects it locks on much quicker.

this is using the Tamron 150-600 f/8 which you're familiar.

I moved up from the d7000 to the d600. I didn't notice much of a difference though my skill at that time was less than now. The d750 is a recent addition after the d600 mount got broken and I was camera-less for a bit. I tried the d500 too and loved it but needed the FX.
So you think the D750 drives the AF noticeably faster than the D600? Buydig via ebay has refurbs for 1400, but I just don't think it is the right camera for me...

OP, stop making decisions based on your friends images. He created them with the camera not the other way around.

Used D610, Df or D750.

but th d5200 raw unedited picture doesnt come anywhere near the d700 raw unedit images (let just pretend i never asked about d7200)..

I can't help but wonder if you aren't confusing "doesn't come anywhere near" with subtle. There are advantages to a larger sensor but if the difference in size is only 50% it is a subtle difference from my perspective. If the difference were 200% you might be getting close to "doesn't come anywhere near." I'm curious how you compared the raw files and what specifically made such a large difference.

I've used the D90, D7100, D610 and Df.

These is a noticeable difference in each body past a certain ISO.

Maybes he is looking at RAW images shot at ISO 800 and up. It may be possible that he's is comparing his images to his friends images but is not taking into consideration that hiss friuend knows how to expose images better giving him better RAW files to work with.

It's funny this thread re-surfaced today. I just bought a D700 for a back up to my d500. IQ on the D600 is phenomenal, but it doesn't drive my 500 F4 very fast. Figured I would change it up since the D700 is so cheap now..
Which 500 do you have?
But I thought your 500 was AF-S so I'm curious what you mean by it driving the 500mm?
I have the 500 F4 VR G(so yes it is AF-S). On the D500 it is wicked quick, on the D600 it is slow and sometimes just stalls. I vaguely remember the same experience when I had the Tamron 150-600, it was faster on the D7100 and D800 then it was on the D600. It might be the AF module is more sure footed? I'm not really sure.

The d600 is great on subjects in lower contrast subjects, such as when I was taking pics of aircraft up about 7+miles away. This is using center focus point.

This drove me nuts for a while as I was trying to use the d750 just as I use the d600.
If i move the d750 focus point out of the center area then the d750 could focus quick on those aircraft.

Conversely, bring the subject much more to the ground and the AF on the D750 is faster than the D600. on higher contrast subjects it locks on much quicker.

I moved up from the d7000 to the d600. I didn't notice much of a difference though my skill at that time was less than now. The d750 is a recent addition after the d600 mount got broken and I was camera-less for a bit. I tried the d500 too and loved it but needed the FX.
So you think the D750 drives the AF noticeably faster than the D600? Buydig via ebay has refurbs for 1400, but I just don't think it is the right camera for me...
I think the AF module on the d750, especially the center cross type points are superior in gaining a focus faster than the d600. On the outside non-crosstype focus points I think the focus speed is similar.

If you ever wander to my area, I'd let you borrow my d750.

Which 500 do you have?

I think the AF module on the d750, especially the center cross type points are superior in gaining a focus faster than the d600. On the outside non-crosstype focus points I think the focus speed is similar.

If you ever wander to my area, I'd let you borrow my d750.

Thanks! Well I was having a hard time with the refurb D750 at 1400 on fleabay, but I sold the D600 this morning and now I am probably going to return the D700 and wait out until I get a really good price on the D4. The D4 probably makes the most sense because the controls will be the same as the D500 and I just really dislike small bodies like the D600/750/7200 etc.. They just don't balance well with the 500 F4 even with grips... Plus for what I shoot 5/6 FPS feels so slow...

Thanks! Well I was having a hard time with the refurb D750 at 1400 on fleabay, but I sold the D600 this morning and now I am probably going to return the D700 and wait out until I get a really good price on the D4. The D4 probably makes the most sense because the controls will be the same as the D500 and I just really dislike small bodies like the D600/750/7200 etc.. They just don't balance well with the 500 F4 even with grips... Plus for what I shoot 5/6 FPS feels so slow...
I know what you mean about the 5/6fps. I tried the d500 at BestBuy. wow.
I also tried a d700 w/grip in the past and that was fast too.

But the D4 for FPS probably is your best bet, unless you just stick with the d700 w/grip at 8fps.

Most reactions

Back