D800 Owners Beware!

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bashing my head against the desk pretty much freaking out because my RAW images wouldn't open in ANYTHING...

Come to find out the reason appears to be Nikon Transfer. It pretty much mangles RAW images coming off the D800 and renders them useless. Pretty surprising. I'm not seeing any other references to this. I gotta give Nikon a holler and report it.

Interesting....

Don't understand your problem exactly, but I feel that connecting your camera to external electronics carry's with it a risk of damaging the camera electronics. Recommendation is to pull the memory card out of the camera and use a card reader. Then when you replace the card in the camera, reformat it using the camera format command, either by pushing the two format buttons or using the menu system in the camera to format. Also you are not wasting battery power.

Don't understand your problem exactly, but I feel that connecting your camera to external electronics carry's with it a risk of damaging the camera electronics. Recommendation is to pull the memory card out of the camera and use a card reader. Then when you replace the card in the camera, reformat it using the camera format command, either by pushing the two format buttons or using the menu system in the camera to format. Also you are not wasting battery power.

No, it is the software Nikon Transfer that eats the D800 images irreparably.
Reported elsewhere.

I guess this means Nikon testers must prefer to use external card readers over direct transfer from the camera - or at least the last tests before production were like this.

Hope they can fix it up quickly! Until then- fasta external card reader time

In addition to what Lew said, the whole "format the card everytime" is pretty much snake oil. I know folks do it, but it's a bit of a waste of time.

That said, now that I do have the SD card I can actually pull the sucker out without the gripping fear of bending pins (as is a concern with the CF cards), so I may well get a reader and do just what you suggest.

Format the card every time, why ?

I just copy the images via Lightroom and delete them from card, that it.

Rediculous. You run more risk of damaging the card contacts in the camera pulling the card out all the time.

You should report this, it will help prevent things like this happening again, or at least find a solution how to open the images.

I've noticed the same with my D800. My RAW or NEF files won't open with Photoshop Elements 10 but they do open in CS6 with the RAW update. Funny cause I thought it was a Photoshop issue. Also what I did notice was that you need to re install the NX2 disk that came with the D800. I was using the old NX software and it did not read my D800 RAW files.

I've noticed the same with my D800. My RAW or NEF files won't open with Photoshop Elements 10 but they do open in CS6 with the RAW update. Funny cause I thought it was a Photoshop issue. Also what I did notice was that you need to re install the NX2 disk that came with the D800. I was using the old NX software and it did not read my D800 RAW files.

I think what you're referring to here is a very different issue- Just an element of compatibility with versions of ACR.

Rediculous. You run more risk of damaging the card contacts in the camera pulling the card out all the time.
Actually, removing the card every time serves to burnish the contacts both in the camera and on the card. Leaving the card in the camera tends to promote corrosion and a gradual reduction in effective contact.

Re-formatting the card is useful because it detects any bad memory sectors, and updates/re-sets the FAT (File Allocation Table) on the card controller. Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, personally any wish to ever own the D800 has been purged from me by reading Ken Rockwells review: Nikon D800 & D800E Review

Yeah, okay, extreme resolution. But for paying that much money, you still dont get a camera that actually feels all around well designed.

What I really love about my D5100 - thanks to the swivel monitor, Nikon was forced to move most buttons to the right, thus leading to a design I can use mostly with my right hand alone, while my left hand supports the camera and operates the lens. I basically hate all buttons on the left side except of course the lens release.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back