Upgrading from the D90, Recomendations appreciated.

gsxturbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D90 that I've been using for a couple years (if you are interested send me a message it is for sale) and I'm starting to get into studio photography. Mostly dance, karate, some family portraits, I also do some outdoor stuff and concerts. With that being said I really only have the budget for one camera so I was looking for an all around nice camera. I was looking at the D7000, but I was wondering if I should look into more of a professional camera, something I could grow into. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a D90 that I've been using for a couple years (if you are interested send me a message it is for sale) and I'm starting to get into studio photography. Mostly dance, karate, some family portraits, I also do some outdoor stuff and concerts. With that being said I really only have the budget for one camera so I was looking for an all around nice camera. I was looking at the D7000, but I was wondering if I should look into more of a professional camera, something I could grow into. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Full frame, D800, D4, D700, D3s, etc

I have the D7000 and there are many people using them for professional work however, I don't think the D7000 is all that much of an upgrade from your D90 in terms of professional features. I would look into something Full frame like 2Wheel wrote.

2WheelPhoto said:
Full frame, D800, D4, D700, D3s, etc

greybeard said:
I have the D7000 and there are many people using them for professional work however, I don't think the D7000 is all that much of an upgrade from your D90 in terms of professional features. I would look into something Full frame like 2Wheel wrote.

X2. Only reason I would even consider the d7000 was for the AF system. I would skip d7000 and go fullframe if you want a serious upgrade.
More importantly, what is the d90 not doing anymore ? And what glass do you have ?

I just have the kit lens and a 70-300. For work they currently use a really old 8 mp canon and we normally have 1200-1600 shots on a couple cards. So I was thinking about getting a nicer camera that I could use for personal and experiment at work and maybe get them to convert. I really like the dual memory card feature on a lot of them because it's everyone's nightmare that something goes wrong with a card. I figure if I'm gonna drop a couple grand on a camera get something I can grow into.

gsxturbo said:
I just have the kit lens and a 70-300. For work they currently use a really old 8 mp canon and we normally have 1200-1600 shots on a couple cards. So I was thinking about getting a nicer camera that I could use for personal and experiment at work and maybe get them to convert. I really like the dual memory card feature on a lot of them because it's everyone's nightmare that something goes wrong with a card. I figure if I'm gonna drop a couple grand on a camera get something I can grow into.

I would seriously spend the money on some glass. You can get some awesome images out of your camera with good glass and lighting.

Depending on where you are with your photography I would recommend the D7000 with good glass.
I have professional friends who shoot with the D7000.
Most of my images people buy are from the D7000.
It really is an awesome camera and I loved it after I upgraded from the D90. However if you can afford the D800 it would blow your mind but would require a complete change in how you shoot (DOF, resolution, sharpness, glass reqd, etc).

I agree with MachO; keep the D90 and get better glass!
The D7000 is at least a bit of an upgrade, and it certainly has some nice features. Personally, I am kinda lusting after one, but I have a D5100.

I'm just not sure that it has ENOUGH benefits over the D90 to be worth the price, instead of investing in better glass. And a flash. That will make much more of a difference than changing your camera body. Unless you go full frame.

I upgraded from a D90 to a D7000 but I'm shooting sports and had a heck of a deal to sell. I love the switch, but rarely felt held back by the D90. The biggest difference was the glass I purchased after I got the D7000. Regardless of what camera you get, your going to need new glass. Why don't you get a new lens or two, practice and grow. And then later down the road upgrade your body. Maybe a D700 or the D800 when it becomes a little more available

I think you are getting very good advice. Unless there is something that the D90 is really holding you back from, upgrade your glass. I have a D90 and really loved it. About 4 months ago I got hooked on birds. I have gotten some great results, but I really started to feel I was missing too many shots because of the AF system and I needed a higher frame rate. I've always been happy with the IQ of the 12 mp d90 sensor. My case is somewhat rare, because a body upgrade made more sense to me because my camera just wasn't capable of what I needed it to do. My answer was pretty simple I found a used D300 at KEH really cheap. The d7000 has a better sensor for sure, but I have always favored the dxxx line for feel and features and sometimes it can be little things like the masp knob. I kept knocking it to different settings. For me the sum of all parts made the d300 the perfect upgrade. If I hadn't gotten so hooked on the birds I would be perfectly happy with the D90 for years...

Some really great suggestion! Thank you all. Makes deciding a little tougher now. Lol

I think you are getting very good advice. Unless there is something that the D90 is really holding you back from, upgrade your glass. I have a D90 and really loved it. About 4 months ago I got hooked on birds. I have gotten some great results, but I really started to feel I was missing too many shots because of the AF system and I needed a higher frame rate. I've always been happy with the IQ of the 12 mp d90 sensor. My case is somewhat rare, because a body upgrade made more sense to me because my camera just wasn't capable of what I needed it to do. My answer was pretty simple I found a used D300 at KEH really cheap. The d7000 has a better sensor for sure, but I have always favored the dxxx line for feel and features and sometimes it can be little things like the masp knob. I kept knocking it to different settings. For me the sum of all parts made the d300 the perfect upgrade. If I hadn't gotten so hooked on the birds I would be perfectly happy with the D90 for years...

This summed up what I was thinking as well.

I borrow a friend D7000 for awhile when trying to decide about upgrading to that (I was also needing a solid back up body too) or making the jump to the FF camera. Honestly, the D7000 was nice, but I prefered the D90, there was better ISO performance, but I just felt like the auto focus etc, worked better for my liking, even with less points ont he D90. I went with teh D800.... Im kinda stoked, but increased ISO was a factor I was looking for.

As stated in earlier post. "More importantly, what is the d90 not doing anymore ? And what glass do you have?"

Buying better glass will always take the camera to the next step in usability and Image IQ.
Add Flash & Tripod will help also. Sounds more like Want than Need to upgrade. As your listed glass reinforces that premise.

My D90 still pretty much sates my Lust for newer body like the D7000.
On Glass Lust issue I don't think Anything Can Be Done for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back