D800 Owners Beware!

bs0604 said:
Back to the original post: I have the same or similar issue. I am using the NX2 software that came with the d800 & pull the memory card out of the camera for transfer.
My NEF files won't load in to iphoto. I can import them all in to NX2 and the jpg files I can move from NX2 to iphoto but not the NEF files. To make matters worse I imported some bracketed NEF files into photomatix to do HDR and then when I saved the resultant file back to my NX2 folder it causes NX2 to crash everytime as soon ad I open that particular folder, but not if I open other folders.

So viewnx2 is failing you? Did you install the one that came with the d800?

Sounds more like IPhoto needs to be updated to work with the D800 NEFs.... and sounds like PhotoMatix is dong something that NX2 doesn't like. Do you have that problem with NX2 when you don't use Photomatix???

cgipson1 said:
You can do it either way... whichever you want.. BUT (maybe you missed this):

Lets say you are shooting an event... and you fill a card up! Are you going to:

A: pull out your handy dandy laptop and USB sync cable and WAIT for that computer boot time and transfer time??? (with a D800.. and a 32 GB card.. that is going to take awhile, even at USB 3.0)

B: put out the full card, and pop in another? (Takes just a few seconds, and weighs a lot less than a laptop!)

It is a matter of personal preference... do what makes you happy!

D800 is kinda different though because you can be using the sd card which, as far as I know, has no risks when pulled.

The nx2 version I am using is the one that came with the d800

toontca said:
I am still very curious as to why some people do not connect their camera to their computer.
Not being rude or silly, but can you please explain why you feel you shouldn't connect these two?
Thanks

I only connect when I have no choice. I have a card reader attached to all my computers. You can recharge the battery while downloading your photos. Also, no cord attracted, to get caught on something and pull the camera off onto the floor, damage the socket. Way cleaner / easier. I don't think I have ever heard of a Pro attaching to download.

Well, personally any wish to ever own the D800 has been purged from me by reading Ken Rockwells review: Nikon D800 & D800E Review

Wha?? Never go by KR! I thought everyone knew that by now. When i bought a D200 years back, I looked up reviews and stumbled across good ol' Ken. He was harping about how it's the best Dslr ever made. But what's this?? on another page, he has almost like a warning/alert - the D300 came out and suddenly it was "Ignore this page, and this camera, get the newer one" and he continues that trend to this day. He is a muppet.

I would like to confirm this. I took a couple of RAW pictures when I first got my D800 about two weeks ago. I transferred them to my Windows 7 computer and I was able to see the pictures in the Win7 thumbnails and open them in Photoshop Elements 10. I don't remember how I transferred them, sorry. I then took additional pictures and used Nikon Transfer. All of a sudden the new pictures were not showing up in the thumbnails; they were the orange/red flower and I was not able to open them in PSE 10. Same situation this morning. Yesterday I contacted Adobe and they said they needed a new RAW codec and they were working on it. After reading this posting I said, "Hey, let's experiment.". I uninstalled Nikon Transfer and set the default in Windows to use Nikon Transfer 2 which is a part of Nikon ViewNX2. I took a couple of pictures, put the memory card into my reader which pulled up Nikon Transfer 2, and transferred the pictures. WOW, the thumbnails displayed the pictures properly and PSE 10 can open them! Problem solved.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back