D800 SD card slot replacement

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

The SD card slot in my D800 has stopped working. How expensive is it to get it replaced? Is it difficult to replace myself? The D800 is starting to get old, so if I were to break it it would not mean the end of the world. SHMBO might agree that I could get a new mirrorless?? :p

Have you tried other SD cards to verify that the problem is with the camera?

Considering how tightly packaged everything is and how small the connections are, I would not recommend trying that unless you are a skilled technician with good tools and soldering equipment.

But if a new, mirrorless body is in your future...there is nothing to loose by trying.

It's highly unlikely you can get the replacement parts. Nikon doesn't want to service "gray market" bodies so they'd demand you either send it to them or an authorized repair shop (that has to provide a serial number proving it's a US body). I know because my popup flash stopped working (it won't stay down, is permanently "up"--still flashes but I have to duct tape it down) and as simple as it is, Nikon won't repair it, won't sell me the screw I need and won't authorize a third party repair shop to get the parts to work on it. Given an SD slot that doesn't work, I suspect most camera shops are not going to be interested in taking it off your hands. I think your best bet is to buy that new body you've been thinking of. If you decide to do that, I may buy your D800 body off of you in order to get the screw I need for the popup flash.

I had the "ejector" mechanism go out on the D40. It wasn't in warranty so it was a flat fee to fix - I think $250. The only real problem was that was just before the tsunami so parts weren't available.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'll just make do with the CF card for now. When this finally kicks it I'll probably go for a Z5 with the F>Z adapter.

As mentioned above I think most manufacturers charge a flat or minimum fee. Coincidentally that fee and shipping costs is close to the tipping point for just buying another used body or makes a good down payment on a new one.

Most reactions

Back