Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... just for fun..

SOOC image
nik0837-2.jpg

Recovered, pushed about 3.5 stops (no NR)
nik0837.jpg

Highlight recovery

SOOC
nik0822-2.jpg

Recovered, brought back about 2.5 stops. Some details were lost at the top of my son's white hat but very usable image.
nik0822.jpg

Last edited:
yep, we're not very far from the point where people will treat exposure levels the same way we treat white balance today.

Yes. Here is the D800 tested side-by-side with the EOS 5D-III by Fred Miranda. Using the same Zeiss lens on both cameras. Part II - Controlled tests

The D800 is in a class by itself as far as post-capture exposure recovery in the shadows.

impressive, tho its scary to think people may just stop paying close attention to detail in getting the photo right in the first place, in favor of adjusting levels in post

Nice. The d600 is the same.

yeah, its pretty amazing.

impressive, tho its scary to think people may just stop paying close attention to detail in getting the photo right in the first place, in favor of adjusting levels in post

why is that scary? It could possibly allow people to divert some of that attention to framing and composition. Photographers used to have to worry about focusing. Now they simply have to make sure that the autofocus was correct and that DoF is enough. Is it 'scary' that we no longer have to add that step of focusing into shooting? You'll always have to pay some attention to exposure, but why is it a bad thing if we can shift some mental energy away from perect exposure to taking better composed photos, isn't that a win?

simply put: I NEED a D800!

DScience said:
Um wanna post some examples, because I HIGHLY doubt it.

It's on Fred Miranda. It's not mine.

why is that scary? It could possibly allow people to divert some of that attention to framing and composition. Photographers used to have to worry about focusing. Now they simply have to make sure that the autofocus was correct and that DoF is enough. Is it 'scary' that we no longer have to add that step of focusing into shooting? You'll always have to pay some attention to exposure, but why is it a bad thing if we can shift some mental energy away from perect exposure to taking better composed photos, isn't that a win?
i was just getting at that its making it too easy to just have the mindset that it doesn't matter because i can fix it later, when your going through a large batch of photos the time adds up quick if your having to do major corrections to each photo. i personally find it very rewarding when i import to the computer and find there is very little adjustments needed on a photo to get it to what i had in mind when i took it. i didnt mean to sound like having that ability is not needed just it shouldn't be relied upon

why would you highly doubt it? If anything the D600's lower resolution might indicate it would be better, not worse?

The only thing lower resolution would (theoretically) improve would be the level of digital noise.

The extent of the ability to recover the clipped detail in post would be determined by the native dynamic range of the sensor. Resolution should be irrelevant.

Now, granted, the differential between the D600 and D800 is only 0.2 stops (14.2 EV for D600 VS 14.4 EV for D800), so it most likely would never be noticeable.

Most reactions

Back