D800 shadow recovery...

Impressed with the d800, as usual!

jamesbjenkins said:
The only thing lower resolution would (theoretically) improve would be the level of digital noise.

The extent of the ability to recover the clipped detail in post would be determined by the native dynamic range of the sensor. Resolution should be irrelevant.

I believe it scores @ #2 in noise. Just behind the the d4. Nikon did well with these two sensors. 24 and 36 mp is a bit much for my use. I'd be happy with a d700 body, fps, AF system and a 16 mp version of the d800:600 type sensor.

why would you highly doubt it? If anything the D600's lower resolution might indicate it would be better, not worse?

The only thing lower resolution would (theoretically) improve would be the level of digital noise.

The extent of the ability to recover the clipped detail in post would be determined by the native dynamic range of the sensor. Resolution should be irrelevant.

Now, granted, the differential between the D600 and D800 is only 0.2 stops (14.2 EV for D600 VS 14.4 EV for D800), so it most likely would never be noticeable.

Noise gets magnified with recovery. The biggest issue the recovered images had was a little bit of noise, so it's possible that the D600's lower noise would actually mean the images were even more recoverable, at least from the shadow end.

Rotanimod said:
Impressed with the d800, as usual!

I agree. Helluva camera

Awesome! I've recovered some images that I thought were going to be a loss but they were never that bad.

All I can say is I'm loving the D800 to include the incredible performance of Lightroom sliders when jacking the RAW files
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back