D800E City Scapes. D800E Is Just Plain Amazing! King Of The Hill If You Ask Me!

Which photo do you think is best?

• Total voters
Again more nonsense. Its all trash talk, gimmicks, and redundant posts. There is no tact on this board at all.

OK, as far as I'm concerned you're on your own. Another entry to my ignore list.

If you plan on giving advice, I am pretty sure being a smart ass and making jokes at someone isn't the way to do it. Period.

The first two images look VERY familiar to me, like I've seen them on a blog post or here in the forum somewhere. I can't quite place where though...

I am less than a great fan of HDR, and overcooked HDR is even worse. Most of the images you presented, as a regular D800 shot should and could have held their own in any forum. I have to agree with most of the remarks on here regarding the imagery you chose to present as proof of the D800's superiority, yet as was stated several times, any camera with a 12 year competent photographer could have easily shot these. Repost these as "normal" D800 shots and show us the crispness, sharpness, superior color and range and then we can comment accordingly.

You brought a knife to a gunfight then got all pissy your knife was too small. It is quite unbecoming of a "professional." I don't have a web page and a fancy watermark so I guess my 54 years in photography don't mean squat to you, but I can assure you, the work you presented here is far more representative of a newbie with more camera and PP tools than experience. Good luck.

Ok, I fail to be a better man. My new years resolution is shot. I didn't even make it out of January...

Have you been on the internet before today? Or did you just get wired up last week?

Look, you come onto a photography forum and say "the D800 is amazing blah blah blah" and I look expecting to see someone really showcasing what the D800 can do... incredibly sharp, good dynamic range, etc... and you post pictures I could have made with an iPhone. It's not that the D800 isn't amazing, it's that you chose to demonstrate the abilities of an amazing professional kitchen in a 5 star restaurant... by making twinkies. It just... to me... says quite a bit about you and what you think is amazing. A quick trip to your site (cough) faymousmedia, sort of confirms that for me.

Oh and by the way the VERY first paragraph in your "Photography" section...

"Photography should eye catching creativity, that follows no real set of rules, aside from the basics. Unique blend of realism combined with a touch of in depth intesity. Breath taking, nostelgic, and comforting. Memories that last forever. "

Missing words, spelling errors and all sorts of issues there. You might want to at least have your site proof read by someone.

Free advice. I mean, I've only been a photographer for 10 years, so you've got 2 on me... but I was an editor of books for a few years way back when... oh and I do have that high school diploma...

This is just the kind of nonsense I expected from this board. There is people like you on every board that think they know everything. Why are we talking about high school diploma? I have a BA in business management. So I am pretty sure that I have a high school diploma as well.

I know that was probably a bit too subtle for someone who intentionally mis-spells "famous" as a part of their company name.

Here, let me be a bit more direct: Having mis-spellings, gramatical errors and missing words in the text of your website is very amateurish and you should probably fix that before puffing up your chest and saying how great you are. It sort of undermines your position.

Anyway... you're just silly, so I'm done with this other than watching you continue to thrash.

Good luck.

The first two images look VERY familiar to me, like I've seen them on a blog post or here in the forum somewhere. I can't quite place where though...

I have done other photos in similar locations and poster here, most likely that's why.

I am less than a great fan of HDR, and overcooked HDR is even worse. Most of the images you presented, as a regular D800 shot should and could have held their own in any forum. I have to agree with most of the remarks on here regarding the imagery you chose to present as proof of the D800's superiority, yet as was stated several times, any camera with a 12 year competent photographer could have easily shot these. Repost these as "normal" D800 shots and show us the crispness, sharpness, superior color and range and then we can comment accordingly.

You brought a knife to a gunfight then got all pissy your knife was too small. It is quite unbecoming of a "professional." I don't have a web page and a fancy watermark so I guess my 54 years in photography don't mean squat to you, but I can assure you, the work you presented here is far more representative of a newbie with more camera and PP tools than experience. Good luck.

Im not getting pissy. This isn't a gun fight or knife fight. That's what I am having trouble understanding why this has I be a fight, or a battle? I just poste these for fun, not to fight and battle. Seriously. I don't get it.

Ok, I fail to be a better man. My new years resolution is shot. I didn't even make it out of January...

Have you been on the internet before today? Or did you just get wired up last week?

Look, you come onto a photography forum and say "the D800 is amazing blah blah blah" and I look expecting to see someone really showcasing what the D800 can do... incredibly sharp, good dynamic range, etc... and you post pictures I could have made with an iPhone. It's not that the D800 isn't amazing, it's that you chose to demonstrate the abilities of an amazing professional kitchen in a 5 star restaurant... by making twinkies. It just... to me... says quite a bit about you and what you think is amazing. A quick trip to your site (cough) faymousmedia, sort of confirms that for me.

Oh and by the way the VERY first paragraph in your "Photography" section...

"Photography should eye catching creativity, that follows no real set of rules, aside from the basics. Unique blend of realism combined with a touch of in depth intesity. Breath taking, nostelgic, and comforting. Memories that last forever. "

Missing words, spelling errors and all sorts of issues there. You might want to at least have your site proof read by someone.

Free advice. I mean, I've only been a photographer for 10 years, so you've got 2 on me... but I was an editor of books for a few years way back when... oh and I do have that high school diploma...

This is just the kind of nonsense I expected from this board. There is people like you on every board that think they know everything. Why are we talking about high school diploma? I have a BA in business management. So I am pretty sure that I have a high school diploma as well.

I know that was probably a bit too subtle for someone who intentionally mis-spells "famous" as a part of their company name.

Here, let me be a bit more direct: Having mis-spellings, gramatical errors and missing words in the text of your website is very amateurish and you should probably fix that before puffing up your chest and saying how great you are. It sort of undermines your position.

Anyway... you're just silly, so I'm done with this other than watching you continue to thrash.

Good luck.

I never intentionally misspelled famous as part of my company. It has nothing to do with the word "famous" at all. That's you assuming and running your mouth about it. Ignorance.

You just prove again that your just trying to stir **** up. You need to find something to do.

I have done other photos in similar locations and poster here, most likely that's why.

Im not getting pissy. This isn't a gun fight or knife fight. That's what I am having trouble understanding why this has I be a fight, or a battle? I just poste these for fun, not to fight and battle. Seriously. I don't get it.

This is before I made any comments at all...

The point is that there is nothing in those photographs that screams

D800E Is Just Plain Amazing! King Of The Hill If You Ask Me!

as your title indicated. As a matter of fact there is nothing in them that indicates ANY kind of high-grade camera since the tone-mapping pretty much wiped out everything the camera was capable of showing. There is nothing that shows the exceptional dynamic range of the D800, the tone-mapping killed that. There is nothing that shows the exceptional detail of the D800, the distortion of a 16mm lens on a full-frame body killed that. These could have come from ANYTHING and don't show off the abilities of the D800 at all.

Oh, and 12 years experience doesn't go very far around here. There are a lot of people around here who can nearly quadruple that.

Rabbit-Man, the Hostess Bakery is gone. Twinkies are dead. Long live Twinkies!

Again more nonsense. Its all trash talk, gimmicks, and redundant posts. There is no tact on this board at all.

Me thinks there were plenty of strong arguments as to the lack of presentation to prove your point to the D800's superiority and you chose to comment on other stuff rather than make a case for the D800. I've shot it and it is nice as is the D600 but I can hold court with both on my D7000. Were I you, I'd go back to the RAW files on each of these images and reprocess as representative D800 superiority and let this argument go by the wayside...just my opinion.

Nope, it's the same location. Not sure if you've shot it before and posted it, or if it was a different photographer... It's right on the tip of my memory...

the color shots are way over saturated. I dont know if they are actually multi shot HDR, or just tone mapped, but I wouldn't enter any of them into a competition. many of them are crooked and/or tilted. you either need to use a tripod with a level, or fix it in post. I would like to see the originals.

the B&W white shots don't really show the great tonal range that the D800 is capable of. Furthermore, they appear very "random", with very little thought given to composition. At a glance, they would appear to be shots of whatever happened to be in front of the camera when you decided to take a picture. I would call them "street photography" only by virtue that they were shot from the street.

If I was forced to pick a photo that I felt was the strongest of the set....I would pick photo N since it appears to be the most natural looking and least processed of the group.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

We used to have a member on board who started the whole HDR story (here), having to explain the meaning of the word over and again at the time (here), and making them his speciality, something like his "trademark" (here). And everyone praised him and liked him a lot - he still decided not to come round any longer, but that was for other reasons, surely. His speciality were "overcooked" HDR photos just like the ones we get to see here. And everyone loved him and loved his photography (here) - back at that time. I'm afraid, that self-same member would no longer stand a chance with the crowd we get today, as tastes have changed ever so much in the course of time.

While many of you might think, "overcooked" HDR is just a fad that "good photographers" must not like (!), I see no reason why you should pick some member apart who shows his photos (too many in one thread, admittedly!) in the way you're doing here... Makes me sad to read.

I don't think anyone was taking him apart for showing his photos, much more so that he was making claims to a camera's superiority with images which didn't support the claim. It did get into a bit of a "he said, she said bicker," but if you are going to put yourself in front of your peers, ask for an opinion then get "pissy" when you don't like the opinions, my thinking is you're fair game for reprisal.

The suggestion was made several times for him to present these images processed to show the capabilities of the D800 which may or may not show superiority, yet we've not seen any of these yet. I don't like it when threads get personal any more than anyone else but I also don't like hearing great self-praise without any substance. He could have handled this much better...as I guess, we all could have.

We used to have a member on board who started the whole HDR story (here), having to explain the meaning of the word over and again at the time (here), and making them his speciality, something like his "trademark" (here). And everyone praised him and liked him a lot - he still decided not to come round any longer, but that was for other reasons, surely. His speciality were "overcooked" HDR photos just like the ones we get to see here. And everyone loved him and loved his photography (here) - back at that time. I'm afraid, that self-same member would no longer stand a chance with the crowd we get today, as tastes have changed ever so much in the course of time.

While many of you might think, "overcooked" HDR is just a fad that "good photographers" must not like (!), I see no reason why you should pick some member apart who shows his photos (too many in one thread, admittedly!) in the way you're doing here... Makes me sad to read.
He's not getting flak over his overcooked photos so much, but over his reactions to people whose OPINION is that they're overcooked; OPINIONS to which they're fully entitled.

It's a standard model of human interaction around here, so there really should be no surprise. Let me help you suss it out:

Folks who can't take the opinions they asked for unless they're positive opinions, get the snot kicked out of them for lashing out over it when it happens. Folks who do that while appearing to have a big chip on their shoulder, citing their bona fides in how long they've been shooting, degrees they have, praise they've gotten from others, etc., get even MORE snot kicked out of them. And if they go on to include disparaging remarks about how they expected what they got because they've been observing for some time and have come to the conclusion that the members here are basically @$$holes who wouldn't know a great image if it bit them on the nose, MORE SNOT flies.

Really, how many times does it need to happen and be observed before it'll stop being a surprise, especially to the mods and admins?

Human nature. Interesting stuff. And fairly predictable.

How about this. Rather than:

This is just the kind of nonsense I expected from this board. There is people like you on every board that think they know everything....

Which, for obvious reasons, I perceived as an insult to everyone who frequents this forum, something along the lines of:

Perhaps my choice of title wasn't the best but the intent was to determine which image was best. Could we focus on that, please?

It would go a long way towards getting you assistance rather than annoyance.

Now I'm out of here as well.

maybe there was some other reason people loved his HDR work, OTHER than the fact that it was heavily processed. maybe it was just done better.

when you post on the forum, you are asking for critique, feedback, ways to improve...maybe just showcasing photos. either way, you open yourself up to the opinions of the members, for better or for worse. you cant expect people to "like" and "praise" a certain processing style, (or any style) just because it has worked well for others in the past.

what we see here far to often, (and im not referencing anyone in particular here) is people that post pictures thinking they are Gods gift to photography, and expect nothing but high praise and adoration for whatever random snapshot they throw up here and get totally butthurt when that doesn't immediately happen. you can blame the forum for being "rude", but in my limited experience here, ive found that typically it is the OP that jumps in with the insults first with "how long they have been shooting", or how many "clients" they get, or how we just dont "get" their artistic style when someone tells them what is wrong with a photo.

the debate on how to properly critique a photo is never ending. but if anyone is a fan of this processing style, or these photos, there is NOTHING stopping them from posting how great they are. they have the same opportunity to post their opinion here as the rest of the group.

I dislike all of them about equally.

The HDRs are drawing from a tired bag of tricks - DRAMATIC ANGLE OF VIEW - mostly, together with overdone HDR to "pep up" the images to the point that all you see is pep, not the underlying image. The bridge you like so much is in fact quite good, but the overdone visual drama detracts from it too much.

The b&w "street" shots are trite and uninteresting. Everyone shoots these things when they discover the b&w setting on their camera. Street signs? Seriously?

Technically, there's some good things in here. The HDRs are not a mess of ugly halos and crud, although I don't like the choice to let moving objects simply blur out. It's a choice you made, so, ok.

The last image of the tonemapped taxi's side/door might well be the best of the lot. It's a look I really really hate, personally, but a) it's well done b) it's appropriate (the metallic/gritty feel works well here) and c) it's a very popular look now in, oddly, both fashion and a certain style of photojournalism.

Most reactions

Back