D800E City Scapes. D800E Is Just Plain Amazing! King Of The Hill If You Ask Me!

Which photo do you think is best?

• Total voters
Comparing one of the "originals" with the HDR, what is striking is how little shadow and highlight detail is recovered in the HDR. The HDR version appears to be simply the "original" with a tonemapping effect applied.

Correct, they are tone mapped. That is what I meant by the D800E has insane Dynamic Range. It can produce HDR looking images in one shot. I can pull 4-5 stops worth of shadows or highlights in either direction.

I voted for Image #2 originally as the best of the litter. I like it even better now. Great photo!

4-5 stops each way? So it has, what, a 17 bit sensor?

i didn't think it was possible to get HDR from one shot. i thought you still needed the info from the different exposures? i often wonder how its done when there is obvious movement in the scene (people, cars, etc) and you can't have the bracketed shots, -with time in between each shot. is it a "cheated" method of achieving HDR?

Actually, with a 14 bit sensor you get 2-3 stops either way, depending on how fussy you are, but, interestingly, if you add in enough noise, and then discard resolution, you can extend that. Maybe that's what the OP is doing? You'd need a lot of noise to get 4-5 stops either way, though.

i didn't think it was possible to get HDR from one shot. i thought you still needed the info from the different exposures? i often wonder how its done when there is obvious movement in the scene (people, cars, etc) and you can't have the bracketed shots, -with time in between each shot. is it a "cheated" method of achieving HDR?

This is an ongoing issue, leeroix. If you think HDR means High Dynamic Range then it doesn't matter where you get the range. If you think HDR is using one of some little list of image stacking tools, then you think HDR is about stacking up multiple exposure to create images with High Dynamic Range. The language continues to evolve..

i often wonder how its done when there is obvious movement in the scene (people, cars, etc) and you can't have the bracketed shots, -with time in between each shot.
Movement between exposures makes for additional editing tasks.

High quality HDRs are made by using HDR software like Photomatix Pro, and Photoshop both.
The image(s) is often moved back and forth between the 2 editing applications several times to touch up various artifacts that result from the edits.

Doing HDR really well takes an amazing amount of post process work.

HRD, not my cup of tea.. you were giving tutorial to who?

Here is another I figured I would post.

p1409380140-5.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back