D850

Mr_Mac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After years of buying and using crop sensor cameras, it was time to finally move up to a full frame camera. After a lot of discussion with The Better 9/10ths, we decided to go ahead and dive right in to the deep end with the D850. We are about to move in to a sailboat full time and really wanted a capable camera to capture so much beauty out on the water. The Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, islands, sunsets, wildlife, the list goes on.

That said, I don't begrudge my years of budget buying as it has taught me a lot over the years. The next step will be to decide what software to use for the pics once their taken. I am open to suggestions!

JBPhotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
NX Studio by Nikon is very capable, free and will read your Raw NEF's as they were captured in camera. It also employs U-Point technology for selective adjustments.

Strodav

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Enjoy the D850, which is arguably the best dslr ever made. I told my wife I want to be buried with mine along with my favorite Kiesel guitar. As far as software goes, it really depends on how you are going to use it. If you are just interested in basic editing like white point, exposure, noise reduction, sharpening, maybe some tone curve adjustment and cropping, then Nikon NX-D and many other similar products are fine. If you want create an image database to make it easier to search and find images out of a large collection of images along with basic editing, then you might want to look at Adobe's LightRoom. Another good suite is from Topaz, although it lacks the database feature.

Most reactions