D90 settings for gymnastics

Low light tends to be a big problem in most gyms and even my D300 had a hard time keeping up. I generally hate "green auto" mode, but given the OP's lack of experience, it might make sense.

Only problem is auto mode will pop up the flash. Not sure if you can turn that off.

Don't deny that - my suggestion for A mode though is that I haven't found a camera yet where the sports mode, when used in bad lighting conditions, won't drop the shutter speed to levels that just won't get the job done at all. I've seen them go to 1/80 or even slower in sports mode on some cameras, because the camera normally will set the ISO to a certain max and won't go above that in auto mode. Not entirely certain if such is the case with the D90 as I've never owned one, but my guess is most likely in low light the best shutter speed the camera will do in an auto mode will most likely be in the 1/80 - 1/125 range, which for gymnastics is just going to result in a lot of pictures with a lot of motion blur.

That's why I recommend A mode, even though the OP is still relatively new to photography. I really don't think the auto mode will be up to the task so I did recommend an alternative method - and granted it is more complicated but I really do think it's the best option available.

I guess he could try both and see what he thinks works best of course. Either way shooting action in low light is bad enough, but with slow glass.. yikes.

When I gotta concentrate on getting the shot I use program and compensate with the command dial to get what I want. It may take a little practice but that way the OP is learning while getting some shots. Remember she's not paying the bills and can afford to machine gun.

ISO 1200, f/4.5, 1/125

I figure I have a slim chance of this being correct.

Most likely a higher shutter speed will be needed, if at all possible. This is where it gets a bit tricky with slower glass - 1/125 will freeze someone moving at about a walk, but for a gymnast you'd most likely get a good amount of motion blur. Really the closer to 1/500 you can get the better but often you'll have problems in bad lighting with slow glass getting a good enough exposure that way even at high ISO. So you try to bump up as close as you can to 1/500 and the rest is mostly just luck.

Golly gee wiz, ya think? I was making a joke.

ISO 1200, f/4.5, 1/125

I figure I have a slim chance of this being correct.

Most likely a higher shutter speed will be needed, if at all possible. This is where it gets a bit tricky with slower glass - 1/125 will freeze someone moving at about a walk, but for a gymnast you'd most likely get a good amount of motion blur. Really the closer to 1/500 you can get the better but often you'll have problems in bad lighting with slow glass getting a good enough exposure that way even at high ISO. So you try to bump up as close as you can to 1/500 and the rest is mostly just luck.

Don't quit your day job.:lol::lmao::lol:

Don't quit your day job.:lol::lmao::lol:

You're mom thinks I am funny. :D

You're mom thinks I am funny. :D

Yes she does, and she told me to tell you "High there Stubby", and then she walked a way chuckling and saying something about it looking like a turtle head with a turtle neck sweater on pulling it's head into its shell. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

They call me the albino anaconda for a reason.
Yeah, she did say something about being a snake in the grass also.

I would start by getting to know your camera really well. Read the manual with your camera in your hand. Start practicing in your home in low light.

I would start by getting to know your camera really well. Read the manual with your camera in your hand. Start practicing in your home in low light.

There's a manual?

Huh. Who knew?

Ok, now that I've offered the male perspective.. exit, stage left.. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back