Dance recital?

SLaird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a new canon T31. I want to take some good shots of my daughter at her next dance recital. I plan to use my 55-200 lense. Can I get some good tips for shooting without a flash? We will be in a large theater, but I will have the opportunity to get up close. The auditorium will be dark with bright lights on the stage.

I would suggest a tripod. I would figure out the slowest shutter speed you can use without causing motion blur (since they'll be moving around up there). Then raise your ISO if it's still too dark.

Dont bother with a tripod your subject will be moving so it is no use, can you shot in manual ? if not aperture priority with the widest aperture possible, spot meter, iso1600 if thats doesn't work iso3200 still no good put your camera away a watch the dancing

The trick will be getting a fast enough shutter speed and that may be hard (or even impossible) for the amount of light you will have.

The key will be setting your exposure for the areas where the stage lights are lighting the dancers, then lock this exposure (use manual mode) so that the dark surroundings don't affect your exposure. It make take some trial and error, but if the lighting is consistent, once you set the exposure, you shouldn't have to change it again.

Also, make sure your shutter speed is fast enough to stop the motion (if that's what you want). So use your largest aperture (low F number). Raising the ISO will help to get faster shutter speed, but with the trade off of digital noise....but that's usually better than blur, so don't be afraid to crank up the ISO if needed.

Do use a tripod or monopod if you have one. You want to shoot in raw because there can be some harsh lights on the dancers. Use shutter speed around 1/100 sec and then adjust your aperture and ISO accordingly. Lens is very important. You may choose to focus manually if af speed is slow with your lens and body.

Do use a tripod or monopod if you have one. You want to shoot in raw because there can be some harsh lights on the dancers. Use shutter speed around 1/100 sec and then adjust your aperture and ISO accordingly. Lens is very important. You may choose to focus manually if af speed is slow with your lens and body.

Just curious why you really use a shutter speed of 1/100th with a tripod while shooting at fast moving subjects?

Dont bother with a tripod your subject will be moving so it is no use, can you shot in manual ? if not aperture priority with the widest aperture possible, spot meter, iso1600 if thats doesn't work iso3200 still no good put your camera away a watch the dancing

Just curious- why wouldn't a tripod be a good idea? Even though the dancers will be moving, it's not like the tripod is glued to the floor.

Personally, I'd use one and move the whole thing.

It's going to be really difficult without a flash. I have the T2i which is the same sensor as your camera and even with faster lenses than the one you're planning to use I have trouble getting anything resembling a decent shot of my kids at their band and choir concerts. And they're not dancing around, just sitting or standing relatively still. It's just too dark. And if I crank the ISO all the way up, the pics are so noisy as to still look like crap. Getting up closer the the stage would help, but are you going to be blocking other parents from being able to see their children? If so, you won't have time to fiddle with camera settings, you'll just need to fire off a shot or two and sit down. Take your camera and try a few settings during some of the other numbers and just do your best when your little one is up there. Make sure to take pics before or after in her costume and it'll be good. The important thing is that you're there.

Just curious- why wouldn't a tripod be a good idea? Even though the dancers will be moving, it's not like the tripod is glued to the floor.

Because blur from camera shake is not the issue - it's motion blur from the fact that the subject will be moving. Having a tripod won't hurt anything, it's just not necessary and is one more thing to get in the way.

There's always camera shake if taken hand held. And at the speeds she's going to more than likely need to shoot at (even with high ISO), it will be noticable.

To restrictive, what will the tripod be doing ? but getting in the way the only time i have used a monopod at a concert is when using my 300mmF2.8L

Point taken. Personally would feel more comfortable using it, but everyone's different. A monopod would be better though.

Most reactions

Back