Dark areas with no tripod/flash

someguy5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with this sort of challenge?

I was recently in a museum where it was very dimly lit and no flash or tripods were allowed at all. You are allowed to take pics though...

How the heck do I get something decent in this kind of situation?

Use as fast a film as you can (or, on your digital, crank the ISO way up). Brace yourself as best you can. Take in a deep breath, let half out, squeeze.

I routinely hand-hold down to 1/30

you could also try taking a monopod - most places will let you in with one of those instead of a tripod as the monopod does not get in the way like a tripod does

High ISO
Wide Aperture
As slow a shutter speed as you can get.

A back pack/person/bench/what ever to brace the camera on.

Keep in mind, shorter lenses require less shutter speed as a general rule. Lenses with IS require even less.

I got a shot at 1/10 @ 70mm with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS. It's a little blurry, but mostly good. That's handle held too.

Icassell's idea is good.
When I have my body under good control (and don't zoom in any!), I can handhold a 1/13 sec exposure. As of 1/8 you will see shake, though (with me, not necessarily with others).
Highest ISO, wide open aperture, fast lens ... all those things help, too, in dark surroundings. Might even reduce the shutter speed so you can more easily handhold your camera.

all good ideas guys. Would Exposure compensation help any? (i've never actually used that setting...)

The idea is to boost up the ISO open up the aperture (but not so wide that DOF is working against you) and BRACE yourself.

how to brace yourself

* Set the camera on a table
* Place the camera against a wall or post and hold it there
* Use a friend as extra brace by shooting over their shoulder
* Shoot with your back against the wall.
* Wrap the strap around you tight.
* Learn to breath steady
* Move around slowly as not to raise your heart rate for the next shot
* I once pretended I had a sprained ankle and used the crutch as a monopod
* Shoot sitting on the floor with your back against the wall.
* Shoot sitting on the floor using a knee to support your camera
* Shoot wider angles. DOF is better and you can hand hold wider angles much easier (remember rule of thumb 1/focal length = min shutter handheld)
* Lay off the Red Bull and coffee
* String from the tripod socket trick
* Use a bean bag to set the camera on
* Use timer, remote trigger, or plunger to trigger the shutter

Be creative.... combine any number above and look around for ways to steady yourself.

I was able to take pictures of the Vampire bats feeding in the philadelphia zoo with my 50mm f/1.8. very dark room where flashes weren't allowed. I used P mode as well.

entire nocturnal section...

That just makes the camera adjust the auto setting when in an auto mode. It really doesnt change how it takes a pictures.

all good ideas guys. Would Exposure compensation help any? (i've never actually used that setting...)

no.... it will just leave your shutter open longer and the result will be blurred...

Slow shutter
wide aperture
IS lens
Steady yourself against a wall
if all else fails, raise the ISO. This is your last resort though.

I shot a 2 second handheld exposure, braced against a column in Vilnius once with a 35mm camera. It was a perfect shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back