DC Meetup and me

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Hello,

Sorry to start another thread, but... sod it. I'm coming too (85% definite). Is anyone able to help me out with accommodation - maybe sharing or something?

Another thing... I can probably get work to pay for a return trip to the New York office. Is it practical to come down to DC for a weekend. I don't know how far it is in miles, but really what I'm asking is how far is it in travelling and how do you do it? On the railway?

Cheers you lovely people.

Rob

you have several options: amtrak, trailways, hitch a ride with another member coming from your area. nyc to dc is approximately 3 1/2 hours in driving time.

you should check out the conversation in the meet-up forum. there has been a lot of discussion there and the list of members scheduled to come grows and grows. you may find a member willing to split accommodations with you. :)

Rob,

I cannot confirm it, yet, but if I'm in, you are coming with me! :)

PS: Jon, is it only a 3 1/2 hrs drive from the city?

Rob, my husband and I will be flying into NYC on April 2, where - according to schedule - we shall arrive at 10:30 p.m.
We are planning on staying on for a while and explore (it will be the first time for both to be in New York, while my husband has been to DC before) and might travel towards Washington ... whenever. Right on the 7th, or on the 6th to already be there on the 7th... no definite plans made as yet. We shall definitely rent ourselves a car. If you know your dates, we might pool.

One thing, however, seems certain for the Schleiffers: we are not going to stay in any central DC hotel. We just cannot afford it (since no company is going to pay for our flight and accomodation this time ... ah, life was easy when my husband's company - the previous one - still did ... *dreaming away*). We must look for a place outside and come in by Metro.

danalec99 said:
Rob,

I cannot confirm it, yet, but if I'm in, you are coming with me! :)

PS: Jon, is it only a 3 1/2 hrs drive from the city?

for me. i drove it several times in 2005...never took longer. the key is to avoid Baltimore and DC in late afternoon/early evening.

JonMikal said:
for me. i drove it several times in 2005...never took longer. the key is to avoid Baltimore and DC in late afternoon/early evening.
And use a radar detector...? ;)

Dan I hope you can make it! :D

I'm working on the assumption that work won't be able to pay for it at the moment.

Looks like it's £377 on BA or Virgin and £448 on United. New York is only about twenty pounds cheaper at that time of year. I've got all my work colleagues on the case finding cheap flights now :)

Rob

Rob said:
I'm working on the assumption that work won't be able to pay for it at the moment.

Looks like it's £377 on BA or Virgin and £448 on United. New York is only about twenty pounds cheaper at that time of year. I've got all my work colleagues on the case finding cheap flights now :)

Rob
Have you checked out the meetup thread, Rob? Maybe you can find someone to bunk with in DC, there are a couple people looking at that right now. Check it out! :)

JonMikal said:
Thanks Jon. I'll defenitely get in touch with you for your map, if I'm in.

Terri, I hope so too! :)

I was looking at the flight prices, it's a pity it's not the weekend after, it's £267 on BA - very tempting at that price, although I'd have to pay for meself - and it's the wrong weekend - is that easter?

Hmm, American Airlines is £268 with a change at Chicago - have to study finances over the weekend - and the wifes face when I mention it :D

tempra said:
I was looking at the flight prices, it's a pity it's not the weekend after, it's £267 on BA - very tempting at that price, although I'd have to pay for meself - and it's the wrong weekend - is that easter?

It's like half the price two weeks beforehand as well. Sods. The best I've found so far is about £300. Opodo seems to be the best site.

Rob

I would pay the extra to fly BA. Even up to $100 more actually. Nothing like having great service when you're stuck in a plane for that long. I've made that flight more times than I can count and they made the flight the best.

We found ourselves some flights on BA for €900,- for the two of us (Hamburg - New York with a stop-over at Heathrow each way), which was the best offer we could find anywhere around. (That is about €450,- per person, so that would again be about £ 300,-/person). All we can hope for now is that what says British Airways will also BE British Airways. I was told that even though the flight number might carry the BA plus the number, it is not secured that the carrier will be a British Airways carrier...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back