Decisions Decisions D7000

Niko_XJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im new here, i've been looking for a god forum and came across this one.
I got a few questions and seeking some advice.
Im planing on buying the d7000 which is a great upgrade from my d50. I have a Sigma 17-70

My question is, should i get the body only and use the sigma as an all purpose lens like i have been doing and then just purchase other lenses or
should i get the package deal of the 18-105 and 18-200, selling the 18-105 and just using the 18-200 since i have heard good things about it.

Im asking because i want a good all around lens and then start buying other types of special lens such as macro or fish eye.

Thanks in advance.

On a crop body, a 17-70 focal range is very useful. I don't know much about the quality of that particular lens, but the focal range seems very desirable.

Do some more searching on the 18-200....

p!nK

I'd say pass on all the lenses and get the Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC HSM OS. It's a beautiful lens, probably the best of it's class at that price point, and has optical stabilization (VR). The Nikkor 18-200VRII is definitely a formidable lens, but the variable aperture is sometimes unwanted. The 18-105 has some pretty severe distortion and CA problems.

Mark

Thanks for the replies, so Mark, i should just get the body only and use with the 17 70 for now? thats the option that im considering the most since t

Nikon's 18-200 mm 11x+ superzoom lens is Nikon's current worst lens value.

The nikon 18-200 mm is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens that has severe, and complex barrel distortion as well as focus softeness at 18 mm. The barrel distortion does improve as the focal length is increased until it changes to pin cushion distortion at about 35 mm. Focus sharpness also improves

Focus sharpenss starts dropping off again at the long end of the zoom range at about 180 mm.

The 18-200 exhibits a substantial amount of 'focus breathing' such that when used at it's near focus distance limit when zoom to an indicated 200 mm the effrective focal length is actually about 135 mm.

In short the 18-200 performs poorly when used at any of it adjustment extremes of aperture, focal length, or focus distance.

However, because of the convenience accorded by it's 11x+ superzoom focal range, the 18-200mm is a popular lens. Just be aware that you will be trading image quality for the convenience.

one thing u should know.. the 18-200 sucks and the 18-105 is sharper and everything the 200 isn't (minus good build quality, which neither have)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back