Define "Landscape"

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have to submit my second photo project in the coming weeks. The assignment directs me to: "Photograph a Landscape"

I guess my question is what do you feel defines an image as a "landscape"?

I'm not asking you to do my assignment for me, simply trying to get some direction from your experience.

I guess I am thinking of landscape shots as mountains and streams. Wide open spaces.

This picture of a barn for example. Many people have told me they really like this shot. But to me, it isn't landscape. Am I wrong?

How about this shot of a snowy, curvy road? Is this landscape?

Now this shot from the Smoky Mountains last year is a landscape shot, right? But to be honest, I don't find it that great. It's just kinda....well, boring. Nothing jumps out at me. No clear, defined subject. Or, again, am I wrong?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks!

they're all landscapes, number 3 being to true form.

#3 could be improved on with a little crop and whatnot.

I'm a landscape photographer. To ME, a landscape is any mountain, field, stream, river, etc scene that doesn't include any man made objects (fences, buildings, people etc) as a primary element.

since a landscape is a picture of the land and its aggregate natural features.
representational, impressionistic and abstract
if natural scenery dominates an image, it can probably be accurately termed a landscape, even though there may be a farmhouse in the distance, a city skyline on the horizon or a road or path in the foreground.
Urban Landscape describes photographs of the city taken in the manner of a landscape, using buildings and other man-made features as graphical elements of composition that are treated in the same way the photographer would treat mountains and trees

http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/77

I'd never really thought that there could be many definitions of landscape. I think #3 would be the most traditional style of landscape, and the one that most would recognize, but I think the other 2 could be considered as well. Is there a way you can get clarification from your instructor? If not, this being a class, I would submit the more traditional landscape. Some instructors have very tight definitions, and although they might like the other two, you might lose some points if they don't think they're landscapes.

Landscape is whatever the word means to you. If that means wide open spaces with no human architecture, then so be it.

Nudes are sometimes called landscapes, by the way. Well, good nudes at least.

To me, all three work as landscapes but number 3 meets the Landscape genre the best. I noticed you have the "My photos are OK to edit" so I went ahead and did a quick one. I tilted it clockwise a tad to straighten the horizon (may not be perfect, but its 5 am and I've been up with a screaming infant all night) and I cropped out the road because I felt it made the photo unbalanced... I'll leave the edit up for a week and then remove it from my photobucket.... Best of luck on your assignment :thumbup:

Landscapeedit.jpg

OK, it seems we all agree that landscape should not have any people, animals, etc. Or at least, not unless they are in the far distance, such as a huge shot of New York or Vegas with the people appearing as small as ants.

Glad to see that several of you also see various definitions of landscape. I don't feel quite as silly now for asking.

Thanks for the advice. I believe I will ask instructor for more guidance on this project.

To me, all three work as landscapes but number 3 meets the Landscape genre the best. I noticed you have the "My photos are OK to edit" so I went ahead and did a quick one. I tilted it clockwise a tad to straighten the horizon (may not be perfect, but its 5 am and I've been up with a screaming infant all night) and I cropped out the road because I felt it made the photo unbalanced... I'll leave the edit up for a week and then remove it from my photobucket.... Best of luck on your assignment :thumbup:

Landscapeedit.jpg

Sure, no problem at all with anyone editing my shots. Hey, I think you rotated counter-clockwise, didn't you? My kids are are now 24 and 20, but I remember those days!

Thanks for your input.

I'd say it's a scape of land.

Sure, no problem at all with anyone editing my shots. Hey, I think you rotated counter-clockwise, didn't you? My kids are are now 24 and 20, but I remember those days!

Thanks for your input.

Funny you mentioned that, yeah it was counter-clockwise... The tool that I used turns clockwise to rotate the photo counter-clock wise that was how I screwed it up... Junior is finally sleeping after his doctor's appointment so I'm going to crash finally :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back