Degree or no Degree?

smithphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I know this isn't the most appropriate place for this post and for that I apologize but I feel that this may be the best place to receive the answers I need.

I am 20 years old and am still 3 years away from my degree in photography. I'm having to work full time to live, loans to pay for college, and am trying to maintain a healthy relationship, i feel like it's going to kill me some days. So now for the big question. Is a degree in photography going to help me enough in the industry to really worry about? Yes I WILL get my degree some day, but at this moment would it be better to just start applying at various studios without a degree?

Again I know this may not be the right place to ask this question, but I feel you all know much better than most people I speak to.

Thanks to everyone.

I'm in the printing/graphic arts industry, most employers in my line of work will not even look at someone without a degree. I'm more old school, many of my staff do not have degrees, I'm more interested in experience and talent.

However, I am the exception, you need to finish that degree to have any chance at all at most of the decent jobs out there.

This is a hard one to answer.

A photographer isn't a regulated profession like a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer etc. So you can certainly work and succeed without a degree.

Having a degree might open up some doors for you or give you the advantage over other photographers who don't have one. And getting/having a degree or diploma is almost never a bad thing.

It might be a good idea to look into the type of photography you plan to do and figure out how much of a benefit the degree will be. It may mean that you have to call perspective employers and working photographers. Maybe you should look into a professional photographer's association to join or just as a resource for info.

I've done alright W/O a degree (5 Emmys in 3D graphics) but as an older chap now (44) I would strongly suggest staying the course...

For example I could teach 3D graphics and animation at a very advanced level (20 years full time experience), but W/O a degree the local Art Universities can not hire me. This could be you in 10 years.

Some employers will not even consider you W/O at least a bachelors degree.

Conversely I have worked with some great self taught talents across several disciplines, and even know some millionaire drop outs - but like rock stars they are the exception.

Stay in school, relationships come & go at that age, so try to imagine what a great provider you can be for someone beyond your dreams! A few years from now...

-Shea

A degree will not hurt in anything you do in future - stay in school.

I do not know if a degree in photography will give you an advantage over someone with experience though.

I always thought "photography as a business" was more about communications then actual shooting. But then I am not in the biz :)

Well I want a degree and I will get one eventually. Just at the moment I'm having a very hard time giving classes my all. I went in for two years as mechanical engineering and realized I hated math. Then I switched over to photography which is a four year program regardless of how many hours you already have completed. I'm really thinking about taking a year off, breaking into the industry on a small scale, just work for some small studio, and then return to classes maybe part time. I think I'm just getting burned out at this moment in time.

I'm really thinking about taking a year off
Tried that, never went back. Perhaps some Yoga and excellent diet will help you over the tough times.

Hang in there!!! It will be so worth it.. :confused:

This has come up before... a search will give you more answers. In the long run, certification of ANY kind is no guarantee of quality, all it means is that you sat in a classroom for 4 years and can pass an exam.

That said, any degree will get you in the door faster than for those without one, however how long you stay is NOT based on your degree... that will depend on how good you are in the real world.

Put the odds in your favor, get both because it's a good chance that the guy interviewing for your job right after you... HAS both. ;)

More importantly than a degree in photography... is a degree in BUSINESS. The Business of photography has very little to do with pressing a shutter.

Let your work speak. And your business savvy.

Part of a degree is proving that you can finish something and can learn. Some companies really don't care what a degree is in. I know 2 music majors, and 1 anthropology major who work for a local advertising company (wifes friends).

A degree gets you in the door, the quality of your portfolio gets you the job! And this is true for several different areas of businesses!! Not just photography!

There are a few, who run their business not quite by the book. They shoot from the hip type managers. These are the few who don't necessiarly need to see a degree. But unfortunately most managers are cookie cutters who were taught the same thing in school so they repeate the same in business. Need to have this, this, and this to qualify.

I guess one of my big issues is the fact that I'm starting to loose my motivation and drive. It's not that I don't have the time to do it, i mean it is hectic and crazy sometimes, and money IS an issue but I can live. It's just that I don't feel myself giving it my all anymore. Almost as if I'm getting burnt out on the education. Not that I still don't love learning, thats why I'm often on here, not to complain or even critique other people, but to learn from others mistakes and to be inspired by the better.

I know I will get my degree one day, in a way I think a break would do me good. I really appreciate everyones advice and will give all some more in depth though. It's just something on my mind as of late.

In a company or organization, a degree means that you are supervisory or executive material meaning that you can do more than just take photographs. A friend with a degree in photojournalism joined an oil company working on their internal "newspaper". Before long he was editor in charge and from there, they made him an executive troubleshooter solving general administrative problems in all areas. Needless to say, his salary doubled several times.

For a photographer with a degree in a company or organization, photography can develop into productions and presentations which requre writing, editing, and speaking skills and that in turn leads to higher pay.

skieur

I like what skieur is saying. I don't know what your curriculum includes, but be sure to pull in some graphic design and marketing classes so you're more than just a person who can take pretty pictures. If you're able to bring more to the table, then your degree will show that.

also, if girly isn't being supportive, show her the door.

I guess one of my big issues is the fact that I'm starting to loose my motivation and drive. It's not that I don't have the time to do it, i mean it is hectic and crazy sometimes, and money IS an issue but I can live. It's just that I don't feel myself giving it my all anymore. Almost as if I'm getting burnt out on the education. Not that I still don't love learning, thats why I'm often on here, not to complain or even critique other people, but to learn from others mistakes and to be inspired by the better.

I know I will get my degree one day, in a way I think a break would do me good. I really appreciate everyones advice and will give all some more in depth though. It's just something on my mind as of late.

You're at an age in your young life where a relationship can often hinder more then help. A relationship can distract, and prevent you from doing what you should really be doing. I would advise dumping the girlfriend, and putting all your efforts into career development. Once you graduate and have job experience, then you have plenty of time to mess up your life with women, wine and song ;-)

My dad told me this when I was your age. Nah, I didn't listen either, but at 48 I regret I didn't. More then I can say ;-)

In a company or organization, a degree means that you are supervisory or executive material meaning that you can do more than just take photographs. A friend with a degree in photojournalism joined an oil company working on their internal "newspaper". Before long he was editor in charge and from there, they made him an executive troubleshooter solving general administrative problems in all areas. Needless to say, his salary doubled several times.

For a photographer with a degree in a company or organization, photography can develop into productions and presentations which requre writing, editing, and speaking skills and that in turn leads to higher pay.

skieur

You are correct in how most companies work. But that does not mean it is the right way.

I spent years consulting at Apple Computer in the late '80s through the mid '90s, and man, that company did things right.

What Apple did was pay the "bonehead" computer developers twice what their managers got paid. You see, Apple honored the skill it takes to code a world class system. Most companies are stupid here...they pay the manager more $$ then the techs that do the heavy lifting, because "anyone can code a program"....no respect for what it takes to do the actual work. Development is not a position one has to "pass through" to get to management "nirvana"...the opposite is true, but again, few companies understand this...as they have it backwards.

So lets not be so condecending about those that "just take pretty pictures"....in my own organization, the wedding photogs get paid the most and the managers the least, and that's how it should be.

Too often peoples skills turn to sheet when they spend too much time in management; their skills turn to fallow and therefore their marketability can greatly DECREASE.

In my life's experience, going into management has meant less marketability, more likely to be layed off, and the pay is often not as good.

As to the OP: I think you should stay in school, and get your degree, but not because it necessarily teaches you more then you could learn self-taught...do it because it can open doors, grease the wheels, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back