Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is Dennis.

I met Dennis today, February 6th 2015, on a rainy day in San Francisco. Visiting the incredible Legion of Honor for the first time, on an admittedly poor choice of days in terms of weather, I noted an older man leave the stone halls and sit at a nearby bus stop. Still standing under the cover of the Legion's halls, I watched. He carried a simple backpack, and wore simple clothes. A yellow jacket kept him dry amidst the gusts of wind and rain. Eventually, I decided he was the reason I'd driven the hour to San Francisco to begin with.

I introduced myself, and explained that I'm a local photographer. Only then did I pop the question, and ask if I could take his photo.

"Can I ask what for?" Dennis asked.

"It's part of a project I've been doing. Really more part of a new project I'm starting soon."

"Ok then, sure." he obliged, just as his bus showed up. Luckily, the driver had other plans, and decided to take a quick break. I set to work, snapping off a couple quick shots while asking about the Legion's history. Dennis seemed like the type of guy who would know. I soon learned the fortress is almost one hundred years old, having been build just after World War I. I also learned that Dennis is an artist himself, and while he's an S.F resident, he frequents a pottery studio in Pacifica.

"Art is my belief system" he mentioned.

Soon after, Dennis got up, I shook his hand, and thanked him for the opportunity. Turning to board, Dennis chuckled "You know, you're the second person to shoot me for a project."

"The last person's was on old men of San Francisco."

Dennis
by TogaLive, on Flickr

I think it made your trip well worth while!

That's a really good portrait. The background is a fitting for the mood and environment.

Works for me too. Story adds ambiance. I love this type of photography but lack the nerve

Excellent shot!! He looks like a sailor with that yellow coat.

Glad everyone liked it! I don't think I've had such a positive response to a portrait in awhile :) I'll see if I can't find more strangers to shoot. Considering making it my next year-long project!

That sounds like an awesome idea. IMO portraits can never get boring as there is so much about a person to see and so much to learn in the process of making them.

Great photo and I love the encounters we get to have while just out and about with the camera.

Reminds me of..

10q_0425.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back