Depressing Movies

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love depressing movies... When a movie can actually make you 'feel something', well, that's awesome (and I mean that in the true definition of the word - awe inspiring). To me, it seems that 'depressing' movies do that better than anything else...

What are your favorite 'depressing' movies?

I'm watching Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" right now. That's pretty high on the 'depressing movie top 10' for me...

Which movies make you cry?

Last edited:
The fighter--for a modern movie that surprised me.

The help- Blew me away

Men of Honor- Simply amazing

Dancer in the Dark, starring Björk.
Heard about it - never seen it. It's on 'the list' of movies to get.
It's Björk, so it's quirky. But solid, intense story, broken incongruently with musical bits. To me it is the oddball MUST see.

Agreed.

Also, I would add movies of Irving's books: "Garp" and "The Cider House Rules". And "12", a russian movie about a jury's delibaration.

But I can think of way more documentaries that are depressing, lol.

I'll get it soon (and I'll check out the ones you mentioned, D-B-J - oh, wait I have seen The Fighter - good flick. Much better than I expected going in... Another one for the collection...).

I'll have to tell my wife that I don't know what it's about though, lol. She hates depressing movies... I, on the other hand, can't get enough of them. (I think she secretly likes them, but won't admit it...)

edit

BTW - language is of no importance to me, as long as there are English subtitles.

Last edited:
While not depressing (quite the opposite, really), the movie that always gets the water works going at the end is "It's a Wonderful Life". For a very brief moment every year it restores my belief in humanity.

For depressing, I dunno, "Glory" springs to mind.

Back with a few more...

Platoon and The Deer Hunter.

Betty Blue. Seriously depressing, make sure you have a box of Kleenex, lol.

Deer Hunter - yes and
May I jump in and add "The English Patient" I remember or would rather forget a morbidly depressing climax.
Million Dollar Baby...I take it the outcome was unexpected?
There is a reason some movies deserve warning labels.
When friends suggest movies;
for example sitting alone in a theater watching the "Titanic" - I was told "great special effects."

let the tears flow...

and make a list of movies we may want to lock in a vault for special occasions or bury in the ground.

Grave of the Fireflies ---- yes its animation, no its not for kids ;)

Grave of the Fireflies ---- yes its animation, no its not for kids ;)
HA - We had to watch that in school when I was taking Japanese.

We had a different teacher each year, and one year they couldn't find one... So they got an English teacher who happened to be Japanese... I guess they thought that since she knows how to teach English, and knows how to speak Japanese, that she could teach Japanese. Yeah, not such a good idea... All we did that year was watch anime.

Most reactions

Back