What's new

Depression C&C welcome

I've had problems with this as well, and to me it conveys the feeling. When it was bad, I often found myself staring out of windows. Overread hit the nail on the head, at least for me, by pointing out that it looks nice outside, but that's not where you are. I guess the experience is different for everyone.

It also seems depressing that there is no snack with that coffee, or at least the remains of one!
 
I liked the image very much; the empty bowl adds to the story much :D
I think adding C&CWelcome along with caption takes away the beauty of the caption...how about adding an asterisk for that purpose? Depression*
Regards :D
 
I've had problems with this as well, and to me it conveys the feeling. When it was bad, I often found myself staring out of windows. Overread hit the nail on the head, at least for me, by pointing out that it looks nice outside, but that's not where you are. I guess the experience is different for everyone.

It also seems depressing that there is no snack with that coffee, or at least the remains of one!

I agree with Ken, when I said in my first reply it "rings true" it does to me, even now I struggle with getting outside and even more of a struggle to be in social situations, I am very familiar with that glass barrier and the beautiful world on the other side just out of reach.
 
I get what you were going for, but here's my thoughts on it:

As someone who suffers from clinical depression (although--5 years since I've had a REAL depressive cycle, AND three of that without any meds at all--woot!), this is FAR different than what *I* "see" when I'm depressed. My first thought was that you shouldn't be able to see out that window at all...but the more I think about it, it's just that the window is too close, too "accessible"--it looks too much as if I could reach out and touch what is out there in the world, like there is a very real possibility that I could even get up and go out there--yes, it's drab and gray (and looks like a bit of a chaotic mess, which is a good representation, to me), but it's at least OUTSIDE and it holds promise, and a little hope. And there is no hope in depression.
Also, the mug (or whatever it is) makes me think more of someone who has been sitting enjoying the morning, looking out at the nature around them, however drab the day may be.

Just my 1.75 cents' worth.

Please don't feel I'm being argumentative. I feel this has left C&C and is more a discussion over a photo more then who's right or who's wrong and why.
It's funny how photo's bring on different feelings to different people. The person I was thinking of suffers from Bipolar Disorder. I took this after 20 years of them trying to explain the feelings of loneliness and despair they experience during a depression cycle.
It's funny you mentioned the bowl, becuase this person saw the bowl as themself. Empty and only able to look out, knowing there's something out there but not being able to enter back into life. They even mentioned the bowl being off centered as feeling right. I just didn't like it centered in the picture, with no "symbolism" intended
This is probably the first photo I've ever taken that left an impact on someone and I feel very good about that. Sorry I continue to use terms as " the person" or "themself" but I respect 'this person's" privacy completely and have been asked not to discuss them, as a person, with anyone.
 
Last edited:
I liked the image very much; the empty bowl adds to the story much :D
I think adding C&CWelcome along with caption takes away the beauty of the caption...how about adding an asterisk for that purpose? Depression*
Regards :D

:lol: Thanks Freq. I couldn't agree more, but someone told me if I want comments I have to specifically ask, so I did ;)
BTW, thanks for the bowl comment, I must have been adding thoughts about that while you were sending yours. Thanks again for the comments
 
I see relaxing, not depressing.
 
Congrats to Rick for an attempt at trying something conceptual, rather than documentary.

It's very hard to express emotion using visual language. The combination of visual elements, and choicesof them are very important. Even things like which aspect ratio the image is presented, vertical or horizontal, can provide little visual cues to strengthen or weaken your intent. Throw a person in there, in specific if not cliche poses, and *BAM* you can easily hit the viewer over the head with your message.

You should take the mixed opinions as to whether you got your message across to suggest your visual cues are weak. As Traveler said, by labeling this image "depression" you tainted opinion, and thus, response to your image. This is a good case where if not labeled, if the viewer wasn't aware what you were trying to get across, you would have a more accurate measure of the success of the image.

I immediately related the image to "Sunday Morning" and having the leasure time to stare out the window and contemplate, with a nice, big, cup of hot coffee. The feeling of depression, in this image, just doesn't resonate with me. Since you ventured down the road of conceptualism, don't consider this project finished, and successful be cause you want it to be. Make it the start of your exploration into visual expression! Keep trying different things to make your position strong, and get it across without words.

Remember, you can look at the color red, and call it yellow, and believe its true. But it may only be true for you.
So again, I applaud your effort to step out of your comfort zone, and I hope to see you continue to experiment in this vein.
 
this is a great example of the double edged sword when you name photos.
on the one hand, half of the critique has been on the clinical diagnosis of "depression" and how this picture does or does not properly relate to it, and not on any technical aspects of the picture itself.
on the other hand, without the title portraying the feeling/mood this picture is meant to convey, what are we left with? just a picture of a window? I wonder how would the C&C would differ if this picture were left unnamed? is the window the subject? or are we meant to be drawn to the cup?
 
Congrats to Rick for an attempt at trying something conceptual, rather than documentary.

It's very hard to express emotion using visual language. The combination of visual elements, and choicesof them are very important. Even things like which aspect ratio the image is presented, vertical or horizontal, can provide little visual cues to strengthen or weaken your intent. Throw a person in there, in specific if not cliche poses, and *BAM* you can easily hit the viewer over the head with your message.

You should take the mixed opinions as to whether you got your message across to suggest your visual cues are weak. As Traveler said, by labeling this image "depression" you tainted opinion, and thus, response to your image. This is a good case where if not labeled, if the viewer wasn't aware what you were trying to get across, you would have a more accurate measure of the success of the image.

I immediately related the image to "Sunday Morning" and having the leasure time to stare out the window and contemplate, with a nice, big, cup of hot coffee. The feeling of depression, in this image, just doesn't resonate with me. Since you ventured down the road of conceptualism, don't consider this project finished, and successful be cause you want it to be. Make it the start of your exploration into visual expression! Keep trying different things to make your position strong, and get it across without words.

Remember, you can look at the color red, and call it yellow, and believe its true. But it may only be true for you.
So again, I applaud your effort to step out of your comfort zone, and I hope to see you continue to experiment in this vein.

this is a great example of the double edged sword when you name photos.
on the one hand, half of the critique has been on the clinical diagnosis of "depression" and how this picture does or does not properly relate to it, and not on any technical aspects of the picture itself.
on the other hand, without the title portraying the feeling/mood this picture is meant to convey, what are we left with? just a picture of a window? I wonder how would the C&C would differ if this picture were left unnamed? is the window the subject? or are we meant to be drawn to the cup?

Thanks guys. It's interesting how several people looked at it as relaxing and peaceful, and there really was no actual critque, as a photo. As a single purpose photo I guess, without knowing it, I had tunnel vision and was focused on the comments, but I am curious as to any critque anyone may have. I want to go back and re-take another, unrelated, interior photo. If this one has promise, but needs work, it might be worth a re-take.
 
Rick58; I do not see your defense of the photo as "argumentative". Your narrative about the subject's own impressions of the photo help a lot. I think you have done a remarkably good job of attempting to portray a human condition by the use of a photograph, and it got us all thinking about it.

My own experience for such a photograph is the famous Dust-Bowl era photograph by Dorothea Lange, which was a woman sitting on her porch with her children close by.

Good work!
 
... and there really was no actual critque, as a photo. As a single purpose photo I guess, without knowing it, I had tunnel vision and was focused on the comments, but I am curious as to any critque anyone may have.


If your image is attempting to portray an emotion, or a concept, whether it was a success or failure to the viewer is certainly ACTUAL critique of your image.
It seems to me you have some confusion as to what critique is.
What do you want people to say about this image in regards to critique?
 
I get what you were going for, but here's my thoughts on it:

As someone who suffers from clinical depression (although--5 years since I've had a REAL depressive cycle, AND three of that without any meds at all--woot!), this is FAR different than what *I* "see" when I'm depressed. My first thought was that you shouldn't be able to see out that window at all...but the more I think about it, it's just that the window is too close, too "accessible"--it looks too much as if I could reach out and touch what is out there in the world, like there is a very real possibility that I could even get up and go out there--yes, it's drab and gray (and looks like a bit of a chaotic mess, which is a good representation, to me), but it's at least OUTSIDE and it holds promise, and a little hope. And there is no hope in depression.
Also, the mug (or whatever it is) makes me think more of someone who has been sitting enjoying the morning, looking out at the nature around them, however drab the day may be.

Just my 1.75 cents' worth.

Please don't feel I'm being argumentative. I feel this has left C&C and is more a discussion over a photo more then who's right or who's wrong and why.
It's funny how photo's bring on different feelings to different people. The person I was thinking of suffers from Bipolar Disorder. I took this after 20 years of them trying to explain the feelings of loneliness and despair they experience during a depression cycle.
It's funny you mentioned the bowl, becuase this person saw the bowl as themself. Empty and only able to look out, knowing there's something out there but not being able to enter back into life. They even mentioned the bowl being off centered as feeling right. I just didn't like it centered in the picture, with no "symbolism" intended
This is probably the first photo I've ever taken that left an impact on someone and I feel very good about that. Sorry I continue to use terms as " the person" or "themself" but I respect 'this person's" privacy completely and have been asked not to discuss them, as a person, with anyone.

I don't see it as argumentative at all--although, you DID use slightly larger type on this response than on any others, so I feel a little bit "yelled at." :lmao: (I'm kidding)

I hope that YOU won't see it as argumentative when I disagree that my response strayed from C&C into "right or wrong." If you got that sense, it was certainly NOT my intent. But, as has been mentioned, when you titled the photo, you brought certain opinions into it, and FOR ME, I could not critique the photo APART from the title. Because MY PERSONAL OPINION, which has been partly *formed* by my own struggles with depression, is that this photo does not convey what depression is, TO ME. But depression is such an individual demon that a photo that "nails it" for some won't work at all for others.
If I seemed to suggest ANYwhere that the photo was "wrong" I apologize; I try to refrain from ever saying a photo is "bad" or "wrong"--there's no such thing. I can only say if it worked FOR ME. And this one didn't, IN LIGHT OF the title.

Thanks guys. It's interesting how several people looked at it as relaxing and peaceful, and there really was no actual critque, as a photo. As a single purpose photo I guess, without knowing it, I had tunnel vision and was focused on the comments, but I am curious as to any critque anyone may have. I want to go back and re-take another, unrelated, interior photo. If this one has promise, but needs work, it might be worth a re-take.

Again, I disagree that there was no actual critique--rather the critique became tied to the title, which is what happens when we title our work. Not saying you "should" or "shouldn't"--each option is just different.
If this had not been titled, I *think* (although it's a bit difficult for me to now try to remove the "depression" label from the photo and see it subjectively) I would have said that overall I like it, because it does evoke some emotions for me. I would imagine sitting in a room one early stormy winter's day, enjoying my coffee and snuggling under the blanket, looking out at the dreary weather and longing for the winter to pass and spring to arrive. But in the lightness outside the windows, FOR ME, there is HOPE that Spring *will* come. That's what the picture, on its own, does for me. My one negative about it would be the "chaotic" scene outside with all the branches going every which way and causing disorder. Those interrupt the peace I otherwise feel about the photo.

One final thing:
You mention that this was taken for a specific person, to convey THEIR feelings visually. If they feel you "nailed it", then, in fact, you nailed it. Because you were going for an image that depicts THEIR struggle. It really doesn't have to work for anyone else.
 
I immediately related the image to "Sunday Morning" and having the leasure time to stare out the window and contemplate, with a nice, big, cup of hot coffee. The feeling of depression, in this image, just doesn't resonate with me. Since you ventured down the road of conceptualism, don't consider this project finished, and successful be cause you want it to be. Make it the start of your exploration into visual expression! Keep trying different things to make your position strong, and get it across without words.

Exactly. This reminds me of a rainy sunday morning where I get to sit in my chair and look out in the backyard and not have to worry about yard work or projects. Just relaxing.
 
I get what you were going for, but here's my thoughts on it:

As someone who suffers from clinical depression (although--5 years since I've had a REAL depressive cycle, AND three of that without any meds at all--woot!), this is FAR different than what *I* "see" when I'm depressed. My first thought was that you shouldn't be able to see out that window at all...but the more I think about it, it's just that the window is too close, too "accessible"--it looks too much as if I could reach out and touch what is out there in the world, like there is a very real possibility that I could even get up and go out there--yes, it's drab and gray (and looks like a bit of a chaotic mess, which is a good representation, to me), but it's at least OUTSIDE and it holds promise, and a little hope. And there is no hope in depression.
Also, the mug (or whatever it is) makes me think more of someone who has been sitting enjoying the morning, looking out at the nature around them, however drab the day may be.

Just my 1.75 cents' worth.

Please don't feel I'm being argumentative. I feel this has left C&C and is more a discussion over a photo more then who's right or who's wrong and why.
It's funny how photo's bring on different feelings to different people. The person I was thinking of suffers from Bipolar Disorder. I took this after 20 years of them trying to explain the feelings of loneliness and despair they experience during a depression cycle.
It's funny you mentioned the bowl, becuase this person saw the bowl as themself. Empty and only able to look out, knowing there's something out there but not being able to enter back into life. They even mentioned the bowl being off centered as feeling right. I just didn't like it centered in the picture, with no "symbolism" intended
This is probably the first photo I've ever taken that left an impact on someone and I feel very good about that. Sorry I continue to use terms as " the person" or "themself" but I respect 'this person's" privacy completely and have been asked not to discuss them, as a person, with anyone.

I don't see it as argumentative at all--although, you DID use slightly larger type on this response than on any others, so I feel a little bit "yelled at." :lmao: (I'm kidding)

I hope that YOU won't see it as argumentative when I disagree that my response strayed from C&C into "right or wrong." If you got that sense, it was certainly NOT my intent. But, as has been mentioned, when you titled the photo, you brought certain opinions into it, and FOR ME, I could not critique the photo APART from the title. Because MY PERSONAL OPINION, which has been partly *formed* by my own struggles with depression, is that this photo does not convey what depression is, TO ME. But depression is such an individual demon that a photo that "nails it" for some won't work at all for others.
If I seemed to suggest ANYwhere that the photo was "wrong" I apologize; I try to refrain from ever saying a photo is "bad" or "wrong"--there's no such thing. I can only say if it worked FOR ME. And this one didn't, IN LIGHT OF the title.

Thanks guys. It's interesting how several people looked at it as relaxing and peaceful, and there really was no actual critque, as a photo. As a single purpose photo I guess, without knowing it, I had tunnel vision and was focused on the comments, but I am curious as to any critque anyone may have. I want to go back and re-take another, unrelated, interior photo. If this one has promise, but needs work, it might be worth a re-take.

Again, I disagree that there was no actual critique--rather the critique became tied to the title, which is what happens when we title our work. Not saying you "should" or "shouldn't"--each option is just different.
If this had not been titled, I *think* (although it's a bit difficult for me to now try to remove the "depression" label from the photo and see it subjectively) I would have said that overall I like it, because it does evoke some emotions for me. I would imagine sitting in a room one early stormy winter's day, enjoying my coffee and snuggling under the blanket, looking out at the dreary weather and longing for the winter to pass and spring to arrive. But in the lightness outside the windows, FOR ME, there is HOPE that Spring *will* come. That's what the picture, on its own, does for me. My one negative about it would be the "chaotic" scene outside with all the branches going every which way and causing disorder. Those interrupt the peace I otherwise feel about the photo.

One final thing:
You mention that this was taken for a specific person, to convey THEIR feelings visually. If they feel you "nailed it", then, in fact, you nailed it. Because you were going for an image that depicts THEIR struggle. It really doesn't have to work for anyone else.

I immediately related the image to "Sunday Morning" and having the leasure time to stare out the window and contemplate, with a nice, big, cup of hot coffee. The feeling of depression, in this image, just doesn't resonate with me. Since you ventured down the road of conceptualism, don't consider this project finished, and successful be cause you want it to be. Make it the start of your exploration into visual expression! Keep trying different things to make your position strong, and get it across without words.

Exactly. This reminds me of a rainy sunday morning where I get to sit in my chair and look out in the backyard and not have to worry about yard work or projects. Just relaxing.


Thanks folks,
Sm4him, I was only afraid it was going to look like I was defending the photo, which was not the case. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Actually I find it interesting that I missed the target for so many people. Actually it left the emotion of peacefulness for most. To some it's locked up and withdrawn and others it peaceful and relaxing. Maybe it all depends on your current outlook on life.
BTW, I really hate refering to people by their screen names. I really need to go back to the names thread make myself a cheat sheet.
 
Thanks folks,
Sm4him, I was only afraid it was going to look like I was defending the photo, which was not the case. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Actually I find it interesting that I missed the target for so many people. Actually it left the emotion of peacefulness for most. To some it's locked up and withdrawn and others it peaceful and relaxing. Maybe it all depends on your current outlook on life.
BTW, I really hate refering to people by their screen names. I really need to go back to the names thread make myself a cheat sheet.

No offense taken, at all. In person, this whole thread would be friendly, and highly interesting. Hard to convey the right "tones" with only some typed words on a screen.

And it's Sharon...although I've also been SM for years, ever since I worked at a publishing company where, for some odd reason, we tended to call each other by our initials.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom