What's new

Depression C&C welcome

Hey Rick, you mentioned critique as a photo, taking everything in the thread into account I'll give it a go.

I'm glad you named the picture, it stated your intent and the feedback it generated tells us where the image is falling short for some people and where it is hitting the mark with others.

I would say that for this to hit the mark for a wider range of people you have to add another dimension to the shot, the central elements are good but it needs something else to add another visual cue. A couple ways came to mind are, add another "prop" in the window, a person, a wilted/dead flower with a slumped posture, a photograph of the past, piece of paper with something on it, a repeating item that the person would take to the window each day piling up, perhaps ask the person this is representing for something symbolic that they feel fits.
Depending on the surroundings you can also convey feeling with angle and scale, having the window small and in a corner surrounded by wall, being overpowered by the inside, from a lower angle to have the window towering and intimidating. Again perhaps ask the person this represents to attach a feeling to the window and see how you can relate that by the size and position of the window in the frame.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
 
Thanks folks,
Sm4him, I was only afraid it was going to look like I was defending the photo, which was not the case. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Actually I find it interesting that I missed the target for so many people. Actually it left the emotion of peacefulness for most. To some it's locked up and withdrawn and others it peaceful and relaxing. Maybe it all depends on your current outlook on life.
BTW, I really hate refering to people by their screen names. I really need to go back to the names thread make myself a cheat sheet.

No offense taken, at all. In person, this whole thread would be friendly, and highly interesting. Hard to convey the right "tones" with only some typed words on a screen.

And it's Sharon...although I've also been SM for years, ever since I worked at a publishing company where, for some odd reason, we tended to call each other by our initials.

Thanks Sharon, It has been an interesting break from the "What the heck were you thinking when you took this critques" :lol:
 
Hey Rick, you mentioned critique as a photo, taking everything in the thread into account I'll give it a go.

I'm glad you named the picture, it stated your intent and the feedback it generated tells us where the image is falling short for some people and where it is hitting the mark with others.

I would say that for this to hit the mark for a wider range of people you have to add another dimension to the shot, the central elements are good but it needs something else to add another visual cue. A couple ways came to mind are, add another "prop" in the window, a person, a wilted/dead flower with a slumped posture, a photograph of the past, piece of paper with something on it, a repeating item that the person would take to the window each day piling up, perhaps ask the person this is representing for something symbolic that they feel fits.
Depending on the surroundings you can also convey feeling with angle and scale, having the window small and in a corner surrounded by wall, being overpowered by the inside, from a lower angle to have the window towering and intimidating. Again perhaps ask the person this represents to attach a feeling to the window and see how you can relate that by the size and position of the window in the frame.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks Pix,

Several people have mentioned the addition of some extra props or a person. Without givng it away, I have some strong ideas that hopefully will change this from a lazy, rainy, Sunday photo to one that will produce the emotions I'm after.
I see what everything one is saying. Taking my feelings (and those who the photo is intended for) out of the equation, there really isn't much that says depression. A casual viewer can't see the cold, dark, damp room I was standing in and even the weather conditions of the day aren't truely displayed in the photo. I need to have another go at it.
 
Interesting how you have drawn the analogy of someone's feelings to an inanimate object, i.e. the bowl. The empty bowl behind the paneled window might portray how paralyzing depression might get.

However I also feel that a stronger depiction would need the human element.
 
Rick! Yes! NOT an inventory shot. Nice!
 
Btw I think the outside is fine. Outside brighter.., inside darker... With a hazy window in between. Separation. It works well.
 
Interesting how you have drawn the analogy of someone's feelings to an inanimate object, i.e. the bowl. The empty bowl behind the paneled window might portray how paralyzing depression might get.

However I also feel that a stronger depiction would need the human element.

Thanks Fan, but I can't take credit for the bowl analogy. When I showed this to the person it was intended for, they just said "...and that's me, an empty bowl sitting in the dark. peaking out of the corner of the window, not wanted to be seen. I would want to go out, but I just can't." I personally just so an empty bowl sitting in the center of a window sill that looked better to the side.

Last night I had some ideas to try and change it, but when I mentioned doing it, I was immediately asked not to, stating these were my first thoughts and if I did, it woulldn't be the same. So, this one is going to be framed into an 8x10 and hung by someone's bedroom window.
 
Thanks a lot Manny!
 
...
 
Last edited:
If I named this, I'd say "Lonely"
 
...
 
Last edited:
You see, you see lonely, i see peaceful and quiet...

Thats the difference between someine suffering from depression, and someone that isnt.
 
You see, you see lonely, i see peaceful and quiet...

Thats the difference between someine suffering from depression, and someone that isnt.
Close, but I'm not suffering from depression. I may be more sensitive towards the issues, but this wasn't one of those "I have a friend who" stories.
I really DO have a "friend" who... no I really do :lol:

Now, that doesn't say they'd have to dig very deep to find something on me :eyebrows:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom