Depth.... 8?

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So question, because I'm a bit confused.

What does this mean?

I'm viewing the NEF using Image Capture in OSX and it shows the depth at 8.

bitdepth.jpg

Should I be concerned about that?

I'm assuming it means 8 bit colour depth, which translates to an image that displays 256 colours.

^ This is my take on it, though an eight-bit raw file surprises me. Which camera?

This is from the Nikon D810 and yes, the 8 bit raw file concerns me as well, especially considering it should be 14bit.

Settings in camera confirm this.

Is this an OSX issue? Is it possible to check the raw exif somehow? I don't know how to do that in OSX, sorry.

I wonder if it's somehow pulling out the bit depth for the embedded .jpg thumbnail inside the raw file?

You may be able to look through the EXIF, but I really don't know; my D40 only gives you one choice for raw files. There are a number of EXIF viewers available - just Google EXIF Reader, otherwise you can use the View-NX that came with the camera (or free download from NikonUSA).

I wonder if it's somehow pulling out the bit depth for the embedded .jpg thumbnail inside the raw file?
This might be. I just looked at the EXIF on one of my raw images. I get "NewSubFileType: Thumbnail/Preview Image" with a sample depth of 8 (apparently the embedded jpeg) and "SubImage2" with a sample depth of 12 (the raw NEF).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back