Deschutes River. Central Oregon

southernlady97266

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
One of my favorite areas to go on a day off with hubby, I have always loved Central Oregon and the High Desert.
This is in The Cove Palisades, on the way down to Lake Billy Chinook.
MadrasTripJune132013069_zpshvbc9czd.jpg

The river is green? That doesn't look healthy for a river.
Could the white balance be off?
You haven't yet selected a photo editing preference for your profile, so I didn't copy your photo and try an edit.

I'll be visiting the Deschutes Craft Beer Brewery in Bend in a couple of weeks.

Yes, the water is green. There are dozens of rivers in the Pacific Northwest that run....green...as green as can be. When you come out, be prepared for some great scenic photo opportunities! The Deschutes is an exceptionally healthy river and has one of the world's premier native rainbow trout fisheries, world class summer run steelhead fishing, and in recent years, some of the largest returns of fall chinook salmon seen within the last 100 years.

The lower Deschutes is abundant with aquatic plants and insect life. The water has a green shade to it...that's the way it runs. The large, deep impoundments (reservoirs with flood-control damns) in most places in the west appear green when seen in real life, and when photographed. Here's what Lake Billy Chinook, at the headwaters of the Deschutes, looks like Lake Billy Chinook Flickr - Photo Sharing snow-capped volcanic mountains, blue sky, and arid, high desert landscape...and green water.

Here's the general area where her photo was taken Oregon State Parks and Recreation Department The Cove Palisades State Park pictures videos publications

I'm not much of a landscaper so take this for what it's worth: In shots with lots of water like this it is necessary to get them as even as possible since it is clear that the water would be higher on the right bank in this scene if the land really lay the way it is shown here.

Water finds it's own level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back