desperate wedding photographer

Considering my 150mm for my Hassy was $4500 losing a grand would still be a bargin. I guess it depends on what he is buying. In my opinion I would have rented what I needed until I had the money. There will always be a deal to be had somewhere.

I would say that's your sister lucky day but, let's not over look the big favour your sister actually rendered him. Another aspect of the story is that, the guy actually saved a lot money on that equipment and decided to drop the rest of the fee because he's well aware of the profits he will scoop out of the new equipment.

That's crazy. I don't know what to think. I can understand his business isnt going so well.

Ask him what equipment! You are going to your sisters wedding right?

On a side note. Why is your username naptime? Just wondering.

That's crazy. I don't know what to think. I can understand his business isnt going so well.

Ask him what equipment! You are going to your sisters wedding right?

On a side note. Why is your username naptime? Just wondering.

i used to compete, professonally, in r/c car racing, at a national level. i was a sponsored factory racer for a motor and battery company. i also had car, tire, and electronics sponsors.

at the time, i worked for IBM on average 60 hours a week.

so, whenever i had a big race coming up, i would work all day, and then stay up all night working on my gear getting it ready for the race. or work all day, and then spend all night driving to the event. or flying, etc...

as a result, i would sleep most of the day at the race.

i have a knack for falling asleep anywhere, under any light or noise conditions, and it literally only takes me moments.. to fall asleep when i commit to take a nap. friends and family have always been amazed at just how quickly i am legitimately sleeping .

after i "retired" from r/c racing i moved on to car audio competitions. i owned a car audio shop when i first came home from the service, and dabbled in competing. but when i left r/c racing, i got much more serious. i began competing at a local level, and within the year i was competing at a national level. and within two years, i was at a world level, factory sponsored for amps, speakers, wire, and batteries. my third year, i was the factory team captain.

at this time, i owned a pizza shop. so i would be at my shop all day, and work on my truck all night. and, come event weekends, i would be in the truck all night, then drive to the event, and sleep at the event. i could be in the stands or in a chair in the lanes, sitting between two of the loudest cars in the world, and sleep.

somewhere along the line, somebody referred to me as Team Naptime because i was always sleeping at events. it stuck. and then people just started calling me Naptime or Nap or Naps.

most of my friends, many of my family members, even my kid on occasion just call me nap. been with me about 10 years i guess.

i don't have any r/c napping pics, as those days were pre-digital, and i had a fire that detroyed all my old film and negatives from years past... but here are some digital pics from my car audio days...

10319_184031119187_512959187_3868926_6091580_n.jpg

this was at a show once. i am seated 3 feet from where the cars play and blast their music as loud as possible.
asleep2.jpg

you wouldn't know it from the picture, but i am surrounded by some of the loudest cars in the world, all practicing and competing. and about 30 yards behind me was a parking lot where trucks & cars with hydraulics were having a jumping competition, and the crowd was screaming their merry little heads off.
asleep1.jpg

on a very loud bus in the dominican republic. dominicans can be VERY VERY loud on a bus..
166034c4e5a33de428.jpg

at dinner one night with friends, while waiting for our food.. in the middle of a conversation. apparantlyi sat like this for about five minutes, before one of them decided it was worthy of a pic, then they woke me up.
166034bddd966c3abf.jpg

a plane trip... lights out... BEFORE takeoff. i fly 3-4 times a year, for about the past 10 years. and EVERY flight, i am sleep before takeoff, and i wake up on landing. sometimes. many times someone has to wake me up.
166034bddd86fd6247.jpg

car audio competition is sort of like drag racing. two cars pull up side by side and then they are connected to a decible meter. here, i am sitting in my chair, in between the lanes. 10 feet from the cars competing.
asleep8.jpg

and a close up
asleep3.jpg

one particular event one year in january, half way to cleveland from toledo, we lost our transmission. truck just weighed too much. we had to wait for a tow truck to come get us. here we are on the side of the turnpike.
asleep5.jpg

at a show, waiting to compete.
asleep7-1.jpg

one show in particular, i blew a voice coil, and had to do a a quick change on one of my speakers before my next round.. problem is there is nothing quick about changing a vertically mounted 60 pound 18" subwoofer.. it made me tired.
asleep4.jpg

sometimes, in the middle of july, in a hot parking lot. it's better to nap in the truck with a/c than to nap outside.
asleep9.jpg

at world finals one year, during the final event, the loudest of the loud were competing.. the stands were packed. i of course, fall asleep. and at the end of the event, everyone left the stands, being sure not to wake me. and then everyone proceeded to take pics.
asleepfinals1.jpg

asleepfinals2.jpg

well, ok.. it was more than one year...
asleepfinals3.jpg

another flight
033.jpg

i'm glad we paid 400 bucks for this exciting deep sea fishing trip.....
31724_428290159187_512959187_5580531_1822948_n-1.jpg

and that sir.... is why my username is naptime :)

and yeah, i'll be finding out what equipment it was. she just called me last night and told me about.

Db drag? I used to do that. I know a bunch of the big names, and met at bunch of guys on the east coast area

Sounds fishy to me, that he can't lay his hands on $1000 it's not as if it's a lot of money

it's a lot of money if you don't have it.

i own a silk screen business. i don't believe in credit cards or loans.

winter time is rough for t shirts especially so when you are the small guy.

i couldn't lay my hands on a thousand dollars tommorrow.

i know people that couldn't lay their hands on a hundred dollars at a moments notice.

what's fishy about not having expendable cash?

Db drag? I used to do that. I know a bunch of the big names, and met at bunch of guys on the east coast area

yes. mostly dbdrag. but i also competed in iasca, usaci, and meca. but, mostly dbdrag.

i was the team captain for maxxsonics for three years. sponsored by maxxsonics, RE, hooker audio, stinger, second skin, and ohio generator.

FANTASTIC ASSORTMENT of "naptime" photos!! LMFAO dude! Some of those are hilarious! I too had wondered why your handle is "naptime"...well, now we ALL know!!! The shots of you asleep, up in the stands after the competition was over--those are priceless! Dat is some funny chit man!!

I agree with the previous post. If his business was successfull he wouldnt ask.
Im a self imployed builder, remodeler and would never under any circumstances ever ask
for a favor like that. Its so not professional. You just dont bring clients into your
personal problems.

naptime said:
i have a knack for falling asleep anywhere, under any light or noise conditions, and it literally only takes me moments..

Please don't drive anywhere. Stick to plane rides.

Lol that's incredible. I read through the whole thing because it was so interesting. Extremely funny.

Hey naptime, have you considered giving lessons to insomniacs? :lol:

Great story, by the way. :thumbup:

What bother me is that he needs to borrow $500 and sacrifice $1000. That sounds a bit odd. And out of the entire world he only has your sister to get money from? HMMM... I'm from NYC so I am joining the skeptics on this one.

I don't have enough of a feeling for the relationship between the sister and the photog to judge.
I tend to want to believe it-which isn't really like me. I'm a skeptic.

Most reactions

Back