Devil's Dictionary

Pentax -- What the IRS charges writers

Some more (a personal rant):

Duraflame Log: device used by a**holes to destructively mar and blacken national monuments. (These do have a side effect of lighting the same with deep red and orange light).

Mike Fatali: Photographer, see also Duraflame Log.

Ansel Adams -- What makes most photographers give up on landscape photography

Ansel Adams -- What makes most photographers give up on landscape photography

Does anybody else not find ol' Ansel not that amazing? I mean he was a great photographer and had some major technology obstacles to overcome, but I've never seen an Ansel Adams that takes my breath away.

Does anybody else not find ol' Ansel not that amazing? I mean he was a great photographer and had some major technology obstacles to overcome, but I've never seen an Ansel Adams that takes my breath away.

Not even this?

I think a lot of his stuff looks similar, and I'm not really a "typical landscape" person anyway, but to reject Ansel as one of the masters is for a golfer to say that Jack Nicklaus is just a weekend player, or for a painter to say that Van Gogh was an overrated drama queen.

There's definitely something to be said for a 4ft x 4ft print from an original 8x10 negative in an art gallery as opposed to an online photo or mass produced poster, too. A lot of it is the amazing detail he captured on large format.

Not even this?

I think a lot of his stuff looks similar, and I'm not really a "typical landscape" person anyway, but to reject Ansel as one of the masters is for a golfer to say that Jack Nicklaus is just a weekend player, or for a painter to say that Van Gogh was an overrated drama queen.

There's definitely something to be said for a 4ft x 4ft print from an original 8x10 negative in an art gallery as opposed to an online photo or mass produced poster, too. A lot of it is the amazing detail he captured on large format.

It's a very nice shot, but I'm more impressed by what he did with what he had than by comparing his work to modern photographers.

It's a very nice shot, but I'm more impressed by what he did with what he had than by comparing his work to modern photographers.

No accounting for taste and, when it comes to the arts, each is entitled to his own opinion. All I can say is that I disagree with you. And, as for modern vs. old photogs, I have seen very few still-life images that match the sensuality of Edward Weston's peppers.

No accounting for taste and, when it comes to the arts, each is entitled to his own opinion. All I can say is that I disagree with you. And, as for modern vs. old photogs, I have seen very few still-life images that match the sensuality of Edward Weston's peppers.

That one I can agree with.
But back to the topic at hand:
Security: Government-backed organization dedicated to the conservation of film and memory cards.

Crop -- What you use to move the horse out of the background of your image.

How many of his shots have you seen? BTW, his portraiture also ROCKS! Like the album and cover art for "Book Ends" (among others) by Simon & Garfunkel.

If you've only seen 10 or 20 of his landscapes you're missing out. There are 100's and 100's and his "popular" ones are usually not his best. In fact it seems to me that the worse it is the more popular it was. <shrug>

Here's a pretty good one from the wiki commons and suitable for non-profit distribution for the purpose of discussion and etc.:

"The Tetons and the Snake River" - Ansel Adams (1942)​

By far not one of his best imo though I would say this is his average work quality.

Sensor - something one wishes would also sense when the picture isn't going to work right (composition wise lol)

I'm going to add to this....

Sensor - (1) something one wishes would also sense when the picture isn't going to work right (composition wise lol)
(2) a device used to attract dust to avoid it contaminating other parts of the camera. (No one wants a dusty print button....

Good thread..

How about...
Black & White - best way to convert an image when:
a) the colours come out crap
b) you can't figure out how to remove a colour cast
c) you want others to think you are uber-professional

Jedo

megapixies - common in most digital cameras; responsible for collecting information to represent a photograph.

for the past 11 years, i sold cameras to novice p&s customers. allow me to correct you on the term. megapixels is actually megapickles. (as commonly referred to by p&s customers)

who knew pickles could take such great pictures.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back