Dickensian Doorman in Vienna

If the person(s) are not the main subject (greay zone) you were fine under the old laws, not sure how it is now.

Again, I'm no expert, but the subject piqued my interest causing me to do a little reading. As I understand it in Germany if the people are incidental to scene, and it doesn't compromise their personal well being, then its okay. From what I read on Austria, even the act of photographing someone is illegal, regardless. Gooner you brought up a point earlier that EU law superseded individual country law. Does that mean if the countries laws are more strict then the EU, are they also superseded by the less strict? Man you'd have to have a degree in international law to stay compliant over there.
No idea smoke, but as far as I know, the German and Austria (and every country in the EU) laws are now the same new European law, where even taking the photograph (if the person is recognizable) is not allowed (as the data is written to the card, and saved without consent).

Well the other week I was taking photos of Geri Halliwell and her husband and they are on my Flickr, can`t see me being told to take them down as 100s of folk were shooting at the car run.

No idea smoke, but as far as I know, the German and Austria (and every country in the EU) laws are now the same new European law, where even taking the photograph (if the person is recognizable) is not allowed (as the data is written to the card, and saved without consent).
The last iteration of the law I saw (Posted on Petapixel or some similar 'site) while it was still in draft form, ONLY referenced electronic recording, therefore you could shoot 'til your heart's content. I also read somewhere else that the enforcement approach was not going to include images which were clearly tourist's 'happy snaps', in other words, if Marty & Mable from North Pumphandle Junction Idaho, are in Strasbourg taking pictures of the Cathedral and you happen to wander into their frame and get captured full-face, no harm, no foul. It would, as I understand it, apply to images like this, but the whole "legitimate interests" bit is a bit nebulous IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back