Did I make a good decision to buy these lenses?

Eniko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D5100, what I use for shooting videos. I've got a 18-55mm lens but, lately I'm starting to feel the need to buy new lenses.
Sometimes I have to shoot my videos in small spaces (like in a small room), so I thought I'd buy a Tokina AT-X PRO 116 11-16mm F/2.8 DX II AF Lens. I read good reviews, and they also said that the autofocus problem was solved in the version II.
The other lens I've been watching is a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5,6 AF LD DI Macro 1:2 lens for Nikon. I make a lot of sports videos, so this seems like a practical choice. I like the bokeh effect.

I'm actually still unsure. So I really need to hear all your advice and experience.

Thanks

The "autofocus problem" being that IIRC that the first version needed an AF motor ? Yes the D5100 wont have an autofocus motor in camera, so you need one on the lens.

Sorry, I cant say anything about the Tamron.

I have both lenses you are looking at. I don't shoot much video but I can tell you that the Tokina is great in tight spaces. You have to watch your angle of view or you get some wonky distortion. The Tamron is new for me and never used it for video but I do love the way the focus locks in and the price makes it a bargain. Bokeh is very smooth.

I have serious flare issues, even indoors with my tokina 11-16. Anybody else?

Even an LED lightbulb can create the green flare ghosts.

I have had this happen but only a couple of times, not enough for it to be an issue for me. You are using the hood yes? Even indoors?

I have had this happen but only a couple of times, not enough for it to be an issue for me. You are using the hood yes? Even indoors?
Yeah, the hood is a permanent fixture for me! Kind of an odd shaped hood tho....

Wide angle hoods are always formed like this.

The nikkor 70-300mm 4-5,6 VR are superior to the tamron.
It's autofocus are lighting fast.
Build quality excellent.
Supersharp..... Though a little soft on the 250-300 when pixel peeping.
Used around 250 dollars.
Get the nikkor. Japan quality. Holds value.

Most reactions

Back