Did I screw up this roll of 120mm?

georgeisabamf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been shooting 120mm film for about 6 months or so now, and it has completely changed my style and perspective on photography (for the better!) Well yesterday I bought 2 new box cameras and decided to try them out today. I shot a roll of 120mm Fujicolor in one of my new cameras called a Ansco Shur Shot. After I was done shooting, when I went to wind the roll completely, I felt a lot of resistance. I kept winding anyhow, and my film ended up looking funny once I had removed it. Here is a quick picture I took of what the film looks like, and why I am worried:

20gib7o.jpg

As you can see, the film on the right is fatter and not as tightly rolled. That film was what came out of my Shur Shot. When I took the film out, a small part of the film actually went over the spool, and I had to push it back down to the center. But I am worried that light has now leaked in through the film since it isn't tightly rolled.

Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, did it develop properly? I'm not scared of minor light leaks as I shoot a lot of "lomo" style things. So essentially piss poor quality is a plus to me. But I don't want to find out that they are ruined and there is nothing in the roll due to this. I pay 20+ bucks per roll to get my 120mm film developed, and I'd hate to the waste the money.

So basically, do you think the roll is still worth getting developed? or is it a lost cause?

You won't know until you develop it. Do you develop your own or send it out? Its really easy to develop your own film, its the printing that takes finesse IMO. At least develop the film into a negative to see if you have good density and if there were any leaks.

EDIT: Sorry, I see it was color film and that is harder to develop yourself. BUT... get it developed anyway.

You always get them developed. You might not get any images, but at least you learn what went wrong.

It's going to have a ton of light leaks. That paper is the only thing keeping light off the film, and I can see the edges of it, so there is light getting in there, to the film, right now. But a few layers in it might be OK. Only one way to find out.

BTW, it's just 120, not 120mm. Measure it - you'll not find it to be 120mm in any direction.

edit
Expect the last half (last half shot, closest to the outside of the roll) of the roll to be unusable. You may get something, but if you do - you got lucky, IMO. Still. Develop it... The first half is likely OK.

Undo the tape and try to tighten the roll up. It can't hurt anything, and it may prevent more damage than what has already been done...

Last edited:
It's going to have a ton of light leaks. That paper is the only thing keeping light off the film, and I can see the edges of it, so there is light getting in there, to the film, right now. But a few layers in it might be OK. Only one way to find out.

BTW, it's just 120, not 120mm. Measure it - you'll not find it to be 120mm in any direction.

edit
Expect the last half (last half shot, closest to the outside of the roll) of the roll to be unusable. You may get something, but if you do - you got lucky, IMO. Still. Develop it... The first half is likely OK.

Undo the tape and try to tighten the roll up. It can't hurt anything, and it may prevent more damage than what has already been done...

I tried tightening it more, but that's as tight as I can get it. I'll get it developed and see what happens.

Wrap it in foil or something. Just in case ... to prevent more light from getting in there...

It didn't get wet or anything, did it? You should be able to tighten it back up.

Wait a second. Those are two different spools. Is it possible that the one on the left is a 620 spool? It looks shorter. Because if that's the case, you wouldn't be able to tighten it.

This is called a "fat" roll, and it can happen easily. Just be sure when removing from the camera to hold the reel tightly, while taping the end

Wait a second. Those are two different spools. Is it possible that the one on the left is a 620 spool? It looks shorter. Because if that's the case, you wouldn't be able to tighten it.

The one on the left is indeed a 620 spool from my Brownie Hawkeye. Thanks for mentioning that because I forgot to add it to my original post. Either way, this roll of film turned out wider than the others, and it had nothing to do with how I removed the film. I think it has more so to do with either the way I loaded the film (maybe I loaded it slightly crooked? Not sure), or it's the camera itself. The thing has been used, and shows signs of it. For all I know the wheel I use to advance the film isn't spinning as freely as it should.

But I will get it developed and see if I get anything interesting out of it.

Did you trim the 120 roll before you loaded it? Perhaps that could explain the resistance.

I hope you're remembering to ask for your 620 spool back when you get it developed.

There is something folded inside coils of that "fat roll". Or film was teared or paper and folded. What I would do is to go into darkroom (hope you have some completely dark space) and unwind that toll to see (sorry, to feel) what's up. If the film is teared I think the lab has to be notified, so they could be gentle and not surprised, it will require a manual spooling and manual development. May not happen in commercial lab.

Did you trim the 120 roll before you loaded it? Perhaps that could explain the resistance.

I hope you're remembering to ask for your 620 spool back when you get it developed.

I didn't trim the roll, what is this trimming you speak of? Do I need to trim it if loading onto a 620 spool, or am I supposed to trim it every time I use 120 film? I'm still fairly new to this to be honest.

and oh yeah, I'll be sure to notify the guy because I don't feel like having to order and wait for a new one. I'll be dropping off the rolls tomorrow (as well as some 35mm rolls), and we'll see how it goes.

Right now the fat roll is wrapped in tin foil, and I will try to respool it in the dark. Only thing is, I have no darkroom, but I think my laundry room may work as long as the doors aren't opened.

I should have written spool instead of roll. The end caps of 120 spools are a little bigger than the 620 spools. They'll often just fit into the camera but their bigger size will create friction that will make it difficult to advance the film. I'll post a picture later tonight to show the difference.

I should have written spool instead of roll. The end caps of 120 spools are a little bigger than the 620 spools. They'll often just fit into the camera but their bigger size will create friction that will make it difficult to advance the film. I'll post a picture later tonight to show the difference.

I see. BUT, I just remembered. The 620 roll was used in my Brownie (as it uses 620 film), but the Ansco (the camera that produced the fat roll) is supposed to use 120 film, and that's what I used in it. So I don't think that's the problem.

The actual part the film fits into on a 620 spool (the middle) is much smaller than a 120 spool. I will take a pic to illustrate here in a few minutes. I'm thinking that's the issue here.

Most reactions

Back