Did you feel like you didn't belong?

They're jealous. You should destroy them all now while they're not aware of your plan to overtake them. Once they're out of your way, you can spread your influence and dominate all of Eastern China.

i find myself to be mostly introverted also. but i attribute it a lot to my interests.

a lot of the time im around people who dont share my same interests and in turn i really dont have much to say on a subject they may be talking about and i dont really find it worth it to even try to involve myself in the conversation, so i just listen...

in instances where im in a situation involving hobbies: Cars, Stereo / Sound, Electronics, Cameras, Computers, Etc. i find it pretty easy to jump in and become friends or sometimes even a very outgoing person.

i guess its really just my choice. in situations that dont interest me i really have no reason to converse just to be a part of the action. i know a lot of people will involve themselves in conversations they are really not interested in just to maintain their outgoing personality. i see it a lot and its funny cause they end up saying a lot of things that are very incorrect, and its funny listening. but im just not that kind of person, i dont feel bad being left out of a conversation or group when it involves things i really dont care about, i also feel my input on these things really dont mater cause i dont know enough about .

the funny part is when some of my "worlds" collide. some people think of me as a very shy or introverted person, while others see me as somewhat outgoing or very talkative. they or i explain it as well talk to him about "Cars, Electronics, Photography ETC.

but i agree, making small talk or to me "useless talk" LOL, is very important in some situations, and its something i really need to work on. I am interested in one day starting a photography business of some sort, or possibly working in the industry. I know most of the clients dont care much about the technical aspects of photography, and just want good pictures, so talking their ear off about camera specs or your lenses isnt going to get you very far... something i need to work on

but i agree, making small talk or to me "useless talk" LOL, is very important in some situations, and its something i really need to work on. I am interested in one day starting a photography business of some sort, or possibly working in the industry. I know most of the clients dont care much about the technical aspects of photography, and just want good pictures, so talking their ear off about camera specs or your lenses isnt going to get you very far... something i need to work on

This is what I'm talking about. I agree that clients are likely to not be interested in the technical aspects, but the actual casual talk that is absolutely necessary to be able to make the clients feel more at ease is what I need to work on too. I feel however, if I can't have small talk with classmates, how am I going to be able to have small talk with strangers I'm only going to see a handful of times?

Which is something I would like to correct while I'm still in these class situations.

I never took photography classes in college. I did take a few art classes, but because of how my college ran things, I hated them. There was usually a class of 20-30 students (which is bizarre to me--I went to private schools growing up and there were never more than ten students to a class. Each class felt like a family to me.) and most of them were too busy with their own lives to form any sort of community.

It is for this reason that I have avoided going to school for photography/art. While a few classes can teach you some wonderful techniques, ultimately it can get very competitive and demanding. It's easy to feel alone. I am extremely competitive by nature and a perfectionist and it's difficult for me to reel that in when I'm in a room with a judgmental professor and 20 other people who may have more experience, better tools, and more money to fund the hobby than me.

Then again, I've always felt out of place in college. That's why I stopped going.

HEY How about living in a family who don't give a jack sh*t about your interest and talent? Seriously, stop wasting your time over what others think.

No you don't belong. The world belongs to you!

Also, a lot of people remain just as useless to this day.

I have to agree. I've been doing this stupid hobby for about 3 years now and I'm still clueless. :mrgreen:

How do I know that? Because I post photos on here and get slammed. :lol:

molested_cow said:
HEY How about living in a family who don't give a jack sh*t about your interest and talent? Seriously, stop wasting your time over what others think.

No you don't belong. The world belongs to you!

Ironically, those are the same people that come to the "outsiders" first for help lol. Besides there is nothing wrong with being in your little world; and trying to have a little privacy in an information, picture-taking, record everybody age.

Last edited:
I LOLed at your question because it hits so close to home... and I have to agree with gsgary that your problem is not a photo one, more a personality one. And I hate calling it a problem because that is not really what it is. We're all different, period.

But, yes, I had a similar experience. I was 28 with 12 years of pro photo behind me when I went to art school and had to deal with 18 yo who were holding their first camera... and thought they were god's gift to the art world :)

They didn't get what I was trying to do, I was an old man :) and who knows what else. No big deal though.

Just be yourself. Don't worry about anything else.

And, no, it is not always easy to be yourself but it will always be easier than to be somebody else.

I'm hispanic. There's me and a slightly older lady that are the only hispanics in the class. I don't want to attribute it to race or the way I wear my jeans or the types of clothes I wear. As for acting differently, I think that may be the reason. Just about everyone in the class is extraverted, whereas I'm more introverted. I think that's a trait that every photographer should have though. You need to be outgoing, very personable, easy going in order for you to be successful. Something I'm definitely working on.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it's a race thing. More like a difference/cultural thing. I've had to deal with the cultural difference thing and I am white as can be. The US is very weird as far as that is concerned and you either let it go or you go crazy. Just let it go. :)

Ironically, those are the same people that come to the "outsiders" first for help lol. Besides there is nothing wrong with being in your little world; and trying to have a little privacy in an information, picture-taking, record everybody age.

Yeah, I've noticed that. A few family members always come to me because I'm the only one that can actually use a DSLR camera but when I try to show them some of my work they don't seem as interested.

I LOLed at your question because it hits so close to home... and I have to agree with gsgary that your problem is not a photo one, more a personality one. And I hate calling it a problem because that is not really what it is. We're all different, period.

But, yes, I had a similar experience. I was 28 with 12 years of pro photo behind me when I went to art school and had to deal with 18 yo who were holding their first camera... and thought they were god's gift to the art world :)

They didn't get what I was trying to do, I was an old man :) and who knows what else. No big deal though.

Just be yourself. Don't worry about anything else.

And, no, it is not always easy to be yourself but it will always be easier than to be somebody else.

I'm hispanic. There's me and a slightly older lady that are the only hispanics in the class. I don't want to attribute it to race or the way I wear my jeans or the types of clothes I wear. As for acting differently, I think that may be the reason. Just about everyone in the class is extraverted, whereas I'm more introverted. I think that's a trait that every photographer should have though. You need to be outgoing, very personable, easy going in order for you to be successful. Something I'm definitely working on.

I really don't think it's a race thing. More like a difference/cultural thing. I've had to deal with the cultural difference thing and I am white as can be. The US is very weird as far as that is concerned and you either let it go or you go crazy. Just let it go. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think it's a race thing either. As for the "God's gift to the art world" thing, are you trying to say that I'm not? haha just kidding. But you guys are right, just have to try to let the feelings go and do my best.
It is the difference of "Social Styles" This may give you an Idea of what a Social style is ...

http://www.stroudtrainingsystems.com/files/social_style_model.pdf

Pretty interesting :thumbup:

As for the "God's gift to the art world" thing, are you trying to say that I'm not? haha just kidding.

No, you're not!

Then again neither am I. Most people don't see the importance of art in their life so, artists, to them, are no better than dust...

But you guys are right, just have to try to let the feelings go and do my best.

Exactly. You seem to have a sense of humor. Use it to keep you going. And good luck to you.

What I mean is: When you first took a photography class or first took an interest in photography, did you feel as if your peers looked down on you? Maybe even annoyed by you?

I've only been shooting for about 2.5 years, taken a beginning and intermediate photography class, and am now in a studio lighting class. Throughout these classes it just seems like the other students have been far more advanced than I was/am. I see them in class, I see them in the studio, I see them in the lab. They all look like they're good friends, they converse with ease, they have fun being there. Whenever I walk in to the studio or lab I feel like I'm looked upon as an outsider, never taken seriously, or even thought of as dumb for not knowing how to use a light meter (which I still have trouble with).

So, how about the rest of you? Have any of you ever felt similar feelings?

Shoot more. Think less.

DiskoJoe said:
Shoot more. Think less.

Lol sounding like my Drill Instructior lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back