Difference between the XT and the 30D

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok first I'm going to point out that this is not a should I buy _____ or ______. I am buying the XT hands down. What I want to know is how will this camera feel like I need to get a better one such as the 30D like I hear people say so often? It seems like for the most part they have the same featers (minus metering but I plan on buying a hand held meter soon) and the XT feels fine in my hands. Why will It feel obsolite?

The XT is already obsolete...it has been replaced by the XTi...but perhaps that's the one you were talking about.

The biggest difference is the size, shape and build of the camera body...and the layout of the controls. If you feel fine with the XT (or XTi) then there is little reason to doubt your decision.

There is also the frame rate. The 30D shoots at 5fps while the Rebels are only at about 3fps. This may be fairly important for sports shooters but certainly not that important for every one.

I used to shoot motor cycle racing, and grayhound races with an X-700 and a motor drive (2.5 frames per second.)You just get used to what you have. An XTi with 3 frames per second would be fine as long as you develope a feel for your sport.
If you are not shooting fast action then there is no worry to start with.. Just go to a shop and hold the camera. If it fits... Buy it...

P.S. The metering on my 400D (XTi) is fine and so far has been perfect..

A couple other differences that haven't been mentioned, the XT has a 1.8 inch screen while the XTi and 30D have 2.5 inch screens. Small difference, but it's a difference. Also the 30D is easier to use. Adjusting the exposure is as simple as turning a wheel. One thing I hated about the 300D, I had to hold a button right where my nose was and then use the shutter adjustment wheel.

I had an XT and now have a 30d. I would say the biggest difference besides the fps is the fact that you can change the controls far easier on the 30d than the XT. The 9 point focus seems to function much better with my lenses on my 30d than the 7 point on my XT.

Things I want from a 30D on my XT:

-5fps
-9 autofocus points

Other than the body feeling better and impressing people more that's basically it.
I've wanted thos efeatures sometimes but they aren't what I'd call "limiting" factors. They say you can hand a D-Rebel to a good photographer and a 1Ds Mk. II to an "okay" photographer and find the more professional prints still comming out of the 6MP D Rebel. I believe it too. The XT won't disappoint you, it is capable of producing magazine quality shots if YOU are up to the task. Basically you are the biggest factor in how your images will look.

P.S. concentrate on the lenses, they can differ in quality of images whereas the camera differs in the experience of getting the shot, I'd prefer the better pics over the easier shoot any day.

I have the XTi and I absolutely love it, though like they say, to change the aperture it is minorly annoying

If you're looking for better image quality the only place you will find it on the 30D is when taking high-ISO photographs in poor lighting conditions. That's one area where you definitely see the advantage. Other than that the difference is very minute with slightly better colour and less noise on the 30D as one expects.

Beyond that as people have mentioned the differences tend to the usability and construction. If you look after your camera there's no reason an XTi wouldn't do wonderfully. If you're like me and you go outdoor rock climbing with your camera strapped around your neck and occasionally bash it into the wall, drop it into sand, snow, use it on a boat in horridly humid conditions, etc the 30D will last longer.

No I'm talking about the XT and I usually Shoot natu[SIZE=-1]re. I don't need a fast FPS o[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r anything. MP means nothing to me and The body feels fine. I know I will be getting a bette[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r body in the futu[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re. And to me paying $700 fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r the XT seems alot mo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]resonable than getting the XTi fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r $1000. Fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r what I plan on doing I think the shots will come out looking just as nice.
[/SIZE]

Since you already have an EF lens, you could just buy the body and get an XT for $489(from B&H) or an XTi for $649. And from there a 30D is only $1000 for body only. If you want the 18-55 kit lens, the prices are obviously different, but if you have a lens, might as well use it and save some money so you can get a different camera.
Two reasons why I'd buy the XTi over the XT are the 2.5 in. LCD screen and the fact that it has a self cleaning sensor. To me that sensor cleaning alone is worth the price difference.

[SIZE=-1]And to me paying $700 fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r the XT seems alot mo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]re [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]resonable than getting the XTi fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r $1000. Fo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]r what I plan on doing I think the shots will come out looking just as nice.[/SIZE]

The shots from the XT will look as good as the XTi in most cases. I think the extra 2MP is not noticable. My father has the XTi and I have the XT. We compared the two bodies with the same lens and we can't tell the difference. This article seems to support my reaction.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page24.asp

Not the same in all conditions tested, but I doubt you'll feel cheated if you get the XT.

My original feeling was that the XTi pictures MUST look better than the XT because of the larger sensor, but now I feel the other way, that it doesn't make any difference.

The LCD is too small on dSLRs, so I could care less if it goes from 1.8" to 2.5", either way I can't see enough on either one to matter. :)

My original feeling was that the XTi pictures MUST look better than the XT because of the larger sensor, but now I feel the other way, that it doesn't make any difference.
Actually the sensor size is the same, the XTi has a greater pixel density which actually can propose problems and many reviewers said the image quality would probably fall. Canon redid the microlenses above each pixel though so it remains the same. Just saying it SHOULD technically be worse.

Since you already have an EF lens, you could just buy the body and get an XT for $489(from B&H) or an XTi for $649. And from there a 30D is only $1000 for body only. If you want the 18-55 kit lens, the prices are obviously different, but if you have a lens, might as well use it and save some money so you can get a different camera.
Two reasons why I'd buy the XTi over the XT are the 2.5 in. LCD screen and the fact that it has a self cleaning sensor. To me that sensor cleaning alone is worth the price difference.
I was thinking about that but I like shoothing landscapes and 28mm is almost not wide anough on my 35mm so I want the 18mm. I was also thinking of getting the XTi with a prime or maybe saving up a little more and getting the 30D body but to me the XT feels fine.

Most reactions

Back