Difference in models?

Otohp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scanning through a purchase list I notice a Nikon D90 'USA MODEL'.

I am in Australia, and am wondering if there are any real differences in the fact that I could buy the same model here, or from an online USA website.

Does it even matter? Is there even a difference? If there is, how much of a difference is it?

This is the first time I've ever noticed someone tag this camera with a 'country model'..

I can't imagine that Nikon would upgrade or downgrade their product just because the country that they are selling it in. It's not like megapixels are illegal in some countries.

Scanning through a purchase list I notice a Nikon D90 'USA MODEL'.

I am in Australia, and am wondering if there are any real differences in the fact that I could buy the same model here, or from an online USA website.

Does it even matter? Is there even a difference? If there is, how much of a difference is it?

This is the first time I've ever noticed someone tag this camera with a 'country model'..

The physical products are identical. However...

Nikon, Inc. (the manufacturer) does not warrant their products. In the U.S.A., NikonUSA (the importer) provides the warranty but, of course, only on those products that they imported into the states. If I were to buy a "gray" market D90 (legally imported into the U.S.A. by other than NikonUSA), I would have whatever warranty, if any, the importer and/or seller provided. For what it's worth, Nikon Inc. owns NikonUSA.

I imagine that you have a comparable situation in Australia.

Well I know that on some listings, in the part of the specifications where it lists all the items included in the box, it says something like "Items may vary depending on region or country." Maybe that's what they mean?

Tv connectors are different to adjust for different regions. The warranty explanation is probably included in a small piece of paper in the box......

oh yea, I guess the only thing I could think of that would be different would be:

AUS/USA power connectors, and perhaps the warrenty being void if it's shipped outside of USA.

It just appears to be such a large saving to buy it from USA than from in Australia - and the product comes with so many extra's too.

:(

oh yea, I guess the only thing I could think of that would be different would be:

AUS/USA power connectors, and perhaps the warrenty being void if it's shipped outside of USA.

It just appears to be such a large saving to buy it from USA than from in Australia - and the product comes with so many extra's too.

:(

The connector issue is not a biggie. There's no problem with the different voltage so all you'll need are inexpensive mechanical adapters.

The warranty is a biggie. Check to see of the seller provides a warranty and, if so, how good is it.

For those in the USA to note.

If you have 'gray market' Nikon gear and need warranty work, you have to send it overseas. NikonUSA repair facilities can't/won't touch gray market gear.

They won't perform non-warranty work on grey market gear either. You have to use an independent repair shop, or an overseas Nikon repair facility.

They will know it is gray market from the serial numbers.

What is grey market?

Also, I've now seen a japanese D90 model (i'm guessing the text is in japanese, and it has weird plugs again) but wtf, why is everything a different model?

Can it ONLY be the plugs? Wouldn't these camera's have multilanguage settings anyway?

I have asked the seller whether the warranty exists outside of USA and am awaiting an answer.

What is grey market?

Also, I've now seen a japanese D90 model (i'm guessing the text is in japanese, and it has weird plugs again) but wtf, why is everything a different model?

Can it ONLY be the plugs? Wouldn't these camera's have multilanguage settings anyway?

I have asked the seller whether the warranty exists outside of USA and am awaiting an answer.

??

What is grey market?

??

I explained in my earlier post...
A "gray market" camera is one that was imported legally but not by Nikon's preferred importer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back