Different flashes for 2 D90s?

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. Here is my situation. My wife and I both love photography, and have been doing some portrait work for family friends, along with some senior portraits. We have been using a 35mm and 50mm 1.8 primes and haven't had any need for a speedlight yet. However, we have been booked to shoot a wedding next year and we plan on upgrading and buying new gear. We plan on having 2 D90s, with my wife as the main shooter and me backing her up. Here is my question:

Do you think it is a good idea to buy 2 different speedlights for our cameras? I would buy an sb-600 for her and something like a vivitar 383 for mine. The reason being that my camera and flash probably wouldn't be getting any use except for the occasional wedding and I think that saving money on the flash would be nice. however, if you guys think that things would be more efficient, less worrysome to simply have 2 sb-600s then i may just shell out the extra cash. Any thoughts, advice and input is appreciated!

My suggestion here would be to buy at least one flash that is capable of acting as a commander for Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System), meaning SB-700, 800, or 900. I'm not familiar with the SB-700, and the SB-900 is by all accounts not their best product; look around for a used SB-800.

A Vivitar 283 is a good flash, but you're not going to be able to use TTL flash metering. You might consider a Sigma or Metz flash with a Nikon manual; not CLS capable, but you will get TTL flash metering.

My suggestion here would be to buy at least one flash that is capable of acting as a commander for Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System), meaning SB-700, 800, or 900. I'm not familiar with the SB-700, and the SB-900 is by all accounts not their best product; look around for a used SB-800.

A Vivitar 283 is a good flash, but you're not going to be able to use TTL flash metering. You might consider a Sigma or Metz flash with a Nikon manual; not CLS capable, but you will get TTL flash metering.

i thought the 600 could be the commander. don't really even know what all that means though. I thought i read that the vivitar 383 had TTL flash metering which was the model i was looking at. Also looks like it has a built in diffuser which looked like a nice perk, but the reviews weren't exactly perfect on Amazon.

The SB-600 cannot act as Commander. I agree with tirediron on finding a used SB-800. They are great little units. The SB-900 is overpriced and has heat issues, the SB-600 is good and I'm not familiar with the new SB-700.

2 SB 700. That's going to be worth it for many things aside from the wedding as well.

a vivitar 283 on your d90 and its going to smel like fried chicken in your house on the first shot.

My 5 cents:
You booked a wedding, an event that must be captures as is w/o redos, here's a minimal list of gear you must have:
3 bodies - you got to have at least one more body in case one of them goes. D90 is a great camera ( I have it for over a year now) but it isn't a wedding camera. It'll do the job but after 2-3 events as such you'll notice its limitations, therefore start looking into additional body (look into d300 - should be able to get one used in decent condition and not too much $).
Though I'm not a proponent of primes for weddings (been there done that with Bronica), you need AGAIN at least 3 lenses (one to back you up if needs be).
Light:
Personally, and that going by specs, I think sb700 is a piece of S|-|** that should have never made to a production line. An upgrade for sb600 that is weaker then its predecessor with faults of sb900 is a horrible product in my opinion. Therefore you are left with choices
sb400: don't even think about it. Its a cute little toy to take on a family vacation, it isn't an equipment where you have to present your self as a professional.
sb600: is NOT a commander flash, only a slave as well as ttl and M but is a good flash. Again, like D90 as good as it is, it ought to be used as a backup unit and not the primary.
sb900: i have mixed feelings about it. Every time I'm on a job using it, I'm waiting for it to do some weird **** and count my blessings when it doesn't. I did have to readjust my shooting style when began working with this flash.
SB800: by far in my opinion the best darn flash Nikon ever made. Powerful, reliable and just a great piece of equipment. Unfortunately today though, if you are lucky enough to find it in good condition it cost MORE then it did when it was in production.
SB80dx - it was a sb800 equivalent during good old film days. If you can get that - have a great time with it.
Any other units, unless they are ttl compatible (for ex: Sunpac 120J w/ Nikon mudule) I would place on a brakcet either via ttl cord or pc cord and use in M and maybe Auto modes only.
got more specific Qs, don't hesitate to PM
good luck

^ so much good info from you guys thanks a ton. I actually bought a D200 a few months back and just did not like it at all. my wife and i have only ever used a tiny D40, and a D90 feels sooooo comfortable in our hands compared to the bigger and better models. I think the D90s will be obvious upgrades from our D40, and possibly be stepping stones to better and bigger bodies in the future. I think i am going to go with the sb-600 to start and see how we like it. thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back