Diffusers and or reflectors with sunlight

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read about people using these for macro photography (things like Lichens and plants mainly).
Does any one do so or tried and thought that it was a waste of time? Any thoughts?

I tried using a reflector to get some closeups of ants (not macro) but changing the direction of the light sent them in the other direction. One should be OK with plants.

I have a folding set that includes silver, gold and a diffuser.

I tried using a reflector to get some closeups of ants (not macro) b
I tried using a magnifying glass to boost the light on ant macros once, but they kept vaporizing before I could snap the shutter. :drunk:

I have read about people using these for macro photography (things like Lichens and plants mainly).
Does any one do so or tried and thought that it was a waste of time? Any thoughts?

Reflectors and scrims serve different purposes. A reflector opposite the light source will move light in the direction the reflector is pointed. They come in all different shapes and sizes and can be anything from a simple piece of white poster board to fold up 5-way devices to large V-flats. Scrims (diffusion) go between the light source and the subject, they create a softer light (larger in relation to subject) that will wrap around and fill the shadows.

I tried using a magnifying glass to boost the light on ant macros once, but they kept vaporizing before I could snap the shutter. :drunk:
:biglaugh:

In my humble opinion a diffuser is imperative

I’ve used them but found a decent ring flash worked better, sometimes with a freestanding flash for a side light.

a good diffuser goes a long way
Oyster11.jpg

In my humble opinion a diffuser is imperative

The OP was referring to use with sunlight, so a reflector or scrim would provide diffusion. I typically regard "diffusion" as a modifier used with a flash, so in what context are you advocating a diffuser?

In most macro shots, the quality of the light is important....Hard vs Soft, (the size of the light in relation to the subject), but with macro it's so small that even a pen light will provide soft light. For subjects without highly reflective surfaces, the ring light suggested by @Rickbb works extremely well, but for subjects with highly reflective surfaces cross polarized light works better as it minimizes any specularity.

I employ reflectors in the majority of my daylight close-up and macro work - the little extra time their use requires is worth it for me.

The OP was referring to use with sunlight, so a reflector or scrim would provide diffusion. I typically regard "diffusion" as a modifier used with a flash, so in what context are you advocating a diffuser?

In most macro shots, the quality of the light is important....Hard vs Soft, (the size of the light in relation to the subject), but with macro it's so small that even a pen light will provide soft light. For subjects without highly reflective surfaces, the ring light suggested by @Rickbb works extremely well, but for subjects with highly reflective surfaces cross polarized light works better as it minimizes any specularity.
Flash with diffuser every time for me, if you are talking about using reflectors on things that aren't likely to fly off in a split second I can see your point, direct sunlight is no good for shooting macro insects as its too harsh and they never look right to me.

Flash with diffuser every time for me, if you are talking about using reflectors on things that aren't likely to fly off in a split second I can see your point, direct sunlight is no good for shooting macro insects as its too harsh and they never look right to me.
PSX_20240207_200259.jpg

I employ reflectors in the majority of my daylight close-up and macro work - the little extra time their use requires is worth it for me.
What sort of work - insects, plants etc?

I was talking about flowers etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back