Digital and Film surely?

whistule

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm interested by how many people out there are using film and digital. The digital or film discussion always seems slightly benign to me when you get different results from each.

P.S. I don't mean to open the old film vs digital can of worms here!

I do use both. But to be fair, out of convenience recently my use of film has dropped a lot.

I use both too, but digital a lot more.

Rarely use film, and if I do I will scan and then perform any additional work that might be required (crop, dodge + burn, contrast).

yeh, almost all my good film shots end up scanned in - can't see a problemn with that though - they look very different to if I'd shot with a digital in the first place

those that shoot with both: is it B&W on film and colour with digital?

currently with me it is colour slide film and colour digital.

However, I might move place sometime soon and expand a bit. Then I seriously consider my own darkroom for b&w film.

I shoot both, but lately I have been using film most of the time.

I have a D70 and it was my main camera for a couple years, then I got a b/w developing kit and a new film scanner (epson 4490) and started shooting b/w film with my Pentax K1000.. y'know.. just for fun. I still shot all my color with the D70 at this point.

Then my friend's dad offered me a great deal on a recently serviced Nikon FE with a few lenses. So I started using that and got even better results than the K1000. I tried a few color rolls and discovered I could get the roll developed without prints for around 2 bucks at the local 1 hr. lab and scan them myself. At this point, I was still shooting most of my color with my D70, but shooting a lot more b/w film. During this time, I was getting addicted to manual focus, the heavy solid feel of old cameras, and big bright viewfinder of the FE, and the D70, with it's tiny dark viewfinder and plastic body, started to feel very toylike in comparison. The cropped sensor annoys me a little now too..

The big thing that made me shoot mostly film is when I got my Canonet QL17 GIII rangefinder from Ebay. It is pretty much all I use these days. I just love the way it feels in my hand and the ease of use. The meter is almost always spot on and it fits in my backpack or even a big pocket and has a nice sharp lens, unless there's some special event that I want to take a lot of pics, then i'll take the D70,(like a ferrari show I went to this past weekend) or if I need a quick pic of something for an auction sale or to email to someone, etc. Recently I took a trip back home to see my family and didn't even take a digital camera with me and didn't even miss it.

Sorry for the long story.. got carried away...

i shoot both...well i did until my film camera decided it wouldn't load film ANYMORE!!!

I shoot B&W and color film. Eventually I want to convert a room in my apartment (probably the spare bathroom) into a darkroom to develop my own B&W. I haven't been shooting film much anymore because all the processing places around here suck (Wal-Mart, CVS, and Walgreens are all we have here). The prints just look horrible...

I shoot B&W and color film. Eventually I want to convert a room in my apartment (probably the spare bathroom) into a darkroom to develop my own B&W. I haven't been shooting film much anymore because all the processing places around here suck (Wal-Mart, CVS, and Walgreens are all we have here). The prints just look horrible...

Get a film enabled scanner, and say to hell with their prints, and print them your self with their machien. Most Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens and the like have a machine for digital printing available to the public, I do this all the time when I have a must have print. Works fine, you just have to have the printer printing the image from a proper scan as opposed to the shty scans they do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back